Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Jan 1, 2018

This may seem like a basic question, sorry if so.

I assumed that the dotted line on our NAATI stamp was for our signature and have been placing my signature there accordingly.

I had a client come back to me saying that my certified translation needed to be dated as well. Since then, I've dated all my translations, placing the dd/mm/yy next to the stamp and continuing to sign on the dotted line.

[Edited at 2018-01-01 07:25 GMT]

[Edit
... See more
This may seem like a basic question, sorry if so.

I assumed that the dotted line on our NAATI stamp was for our signature and have been placing my signature there accordingly.

I had a client come back to me saying that my certified translation needed to be dated as well. Since then, I've dated all my translations, placing the dd/mm/yy next to the stamp and continuing to sign on the dotted line.

[Edited at 2018-01-01 07:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-04-03 10:08 GMT]
Collapse

Anna Herbst
Anna Herbst  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 07:59
English to Swedish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Happy New Year, DJH, Jan 1, 2018

Your certification should be both signed and dated. The dotted line on the NAATI stamp is for your signature.

Any translation for migration purposes should be certified by the translator stating your name, credentials, date of translation and whether original has been sighted or an electronic copy has been used for translation purposes. If the latter is the case, the copy used should be attached to the translation. Your signed stamp will appear following your certification.
... See more
Your certification should be both signed and dated. The dotted line on the NAATI stamp is for your signature.

Any translation for migration purposes should be certified by the translator stating your name, credentials, date of translation and whether original has been sighted or an electronic copy has been used for translation purposes. If the latter is the case, the copy used should be attached to the translation. Your signed stamp will appear following your certification.

In some cases it might be acceptable to send the client only a colour pdf of the certified translation. However, Australian government authorities generally prefer original hard copies to be presented for application purposes, so when I provided this type of service, I included the general postage in my fee. I also sent two signed copies of the translation, i.e. two originals, to make it easier for the client. If the client wanted express post, they had to pay the optional extra. On request I would send a pdf copy as well.

I would argue that translation of documents needed for citizenship applications etc. is well and truly within the scope of the translator profession, and therefore all accredited/certified translators need to keep up to date with current government requirements regarding the presentation of translations.

Best wishes for 2018,
Anna

[Edited at 2018-01-01 07:14 GMT]
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 1, 2018

Anna Herbst wrote:

I would argue that translation of documents needed for citizenship applications etc. is well and truly within the scope of the translator profession, and therefore all accredited/certified translators need to keep up to date with current government requirements regarding the presentation of translations.

Dear Anna,

Thanks for your kind and informed response!
Is there a particular reference that we can use to check these requirements?

Your point on having full knowledge on how to present these translations is well taken.

[Edited at 2018-01-01 07:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-04-03 10:37 GMT]

Anna Herbst
Anna Herbst  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 07:59
English to Swedish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
AUSIT - Best practices Jan 1, 2018

There is the BEST PRACTICES FOR THE TRANSLATION OF OFFICIAL AND LEGAL DOCUMENTS published by AUSIT in 2014 available on-line at
https://ausit.org/AUSIT/Documents/Best_Practices_2014.pdf
Well worth having a look at.

Cheers,
Anna

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Points taken from the AUSIT guide Jan 1, 2018

Thank you for your kind assistance.

I have taken the following points from this guide and recommend others in my situation to check it out, as it covers everything applicable in these circumstances.

2.1 The translation should be headed "Translation from [source language]".

7.3 A printout or photocopy of the source document may be attached to the
translation.

7.4 The sheets should be joined together in such a way that any separation would<
... See more
Thank you for your kind assistance.

I have taken the following points from this guide and recommend others in my situation to check it out, as it covers everything applicable in these circumstances.

2.1 The translation should be headed "Translation from [source language]".

7.3 A printout or photocopy of the source document may be attached to the
translation.

7.4 The sheets should be joined together in such a way that any separation would
cause externally visible damage (e.g. with staples, not paper clips).

7.5 The left hand corner of the sheets may be folded, stapled and sealed with the
imprint of the translator's seal.

14.4 If the stated date is based on a different calendar, the conversion should be
mentioned in a translator's note, i.e. [date converted].

20.1 An additional note should be inserted at the end of the translation, describing
the type of document submitted for translation.

Example:
[Translated from the original, or: a certified photocopy, or: an uncertified
copy, or: a facsimile, or: an electronic copy].

If applicable, “Original sighted” may be added in parentheses.
The date of the translation should be stated, the translation stamped with the
translator’s stamp (see below) and signed.
Collapse

Jean Paul Icyimpaye

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Partial imprint, not full stamp right? Jan 1, 2018

DJHartmann wrote:

7.5 The left hand corner of the sheets may be folded, stapled and sealed with the
imprint of the translator's seal.

From this point, I understand that the stamp here is to prevent tampering with the source/translation, sealing the two documents together in a sense.

For that reason, I'm assuming that only a partial stamp is required here (to cover the fold) and we place our full stamp at the bottom of the translation, signed and dated.

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
folded, stapled and sealed Jan 4, 2018

This is how I've 'folded, stapled and sealed' the source.

IMG_0418

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Update! Apr 3, 2018

This is how I now stamp the source/target of my translations together:

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 8.46.25 pm

As our accreditation number is no longer relevant, I covered the rest of the details with sticky tape so only the NAATI logo in the centre and the text around the sides are visible in the stamp. Works great!

IMG_4986

Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:59
Chinese
Just received my stamp Apr 23, 2018

Just received my stamp yesterday. Your stamp is of circular shape and looks cool. Mine is of square shape and looks bulky and uncool.

Also it says it is valid to end March 2021. So I guess I will need to add a comment in my translation of certificates that says: although my NAATI certification has an expiry date and is subject to renewal every 3 years, this translation itself is valid permanently.

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Stamps Apr 23, 2018

The round one is the 'accredited' stamp and has expired.

I only use that one, modified as shown, to stamp the top corner of pages when affixing the source.

My 'certified' stamp is square with blue ink, just like yours.

Another note: I've been sent work from clients who have tried to submit translations previously done by NAATI translators to Dept of Immigration but the stamp has expired so the translations were rejected. In other words, our translations ar
... See more
The round one is the 'accredited' stamp and has expired.

I only use that one, modified as shown, to stamp the top corner of pages when affixing the source.

My 'certified' stamp is square with blue ink, just like yours.

Another note: I've been sent work from clients who have tried to submit translations previously done by NAATI translators to Dept of Immigration but the stamp has expired so the translations were rejected. In other words, our translations are only valid up until that date it seems.
Collapse

Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:59
Chinese
NAATI's position Apr 23, 2018

DJHartmann wrote:
Another note: I've been sent work from clients who have tried to submit translations previously done by NAATI translators to Dept of Immigration but the stamp has expired so the translations were rejected. In other words, our translations are only valid up until that date it seems.

Different case officers have different understanding of what this expiry date means. But NAATI's position is this:

"If the translation date listed on the stamp is within the period of validity for the credential, NAATI’s opinion is that the
translation should be accepted where it has been presented."
and
"The ‘Expires’ date on these stamps refer to the potential expiry date for the credential (at the time the stamp was
issued). It does not reflect a date after which a translation is invalid or unacceptable. A translation from a NAATI
credentialed translator should include the date at which the translation was completed. "
(https://www.naati.com.au/media/1871/naati-translator-stamp-infopdf.pdf)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using NAATI stamps

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »