Jiaying Ma
Jiaying Ma
Australia
Local time: 01:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 30, 2017

Hi everyone,

I recently started working as a freelance translator in Australia. I have NAATI accreditation and 8 years of extensive experience in the translation industry.
I used to work as a full time translator in China, where the wage is much lower. So I don't know what is the standard rate per word in Australia.

Could someone give me some advise on this?

I know that Australia has relatively higher wage and everything is more expensive, so I wouldn
... See more
Hi everyone,

I recently started working as a freelance translator in Australia. I have NAATI accreditation and 8 years of extensive experience in the translation industry.
I used to work as a full time translator in China, where the wage is much lower. So I don't know what is the standard rate per word in Australia.

I know that Australia has relatively higher wage and everything is more expensive, so I wouldn't be surprised if the rate is much higher, when I negotiate with potential clients, it is better for me to know how much my skill is worth.

Thank you very much for your help.
Collapse

JaredK
JaredK
Australia
Local time: 01:50
Chinese to English
Translation Rates Oct 6, 2017

Jiaying Ma wrote:

Hi everyone,

I know that Australia has relatively higher wage and everything is more expensive, so I wouldn't be surprised if the rate is much higher, when I negotiate with potential clients, it is better for me to know how much my skill is worth.

Thank you very much for your help.

Hey,

It also depends which direction you translate. I'm a Chinese into English translator and you can charge roughly 20 cents / word for standard documents and have a minimum fee of $40 + GST. Rates are similar for English into Chinese but a suggestion would be to send a document to 3 translation agencies and get a quote. Then just adjust your price as a freelance translator.

Jared Kirkwood
NAATI 90003
Translation Bound
www.translationbound.com.au

Raquel Holzmann (X)
Raquel Holzmann (X)
Australia
Local time: 00:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Agency rates Jan 17, 2018

I have also recently gained NAATI accreditation. Can anyone tell me what the rate per standard document (e.g. birth certificate, driver's license, etc.) is as a freelance translator in Australia? And what about agency rates - how much should expect to be paid per document? Many thanks in advance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation rate in Australia

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »