Thread poster: Pegi
Pegi
Pegi
Australia
Local time: 06:56
German to English
Jan 11, 2017

Hi everyone,

I am seeking some advice on the definition of 'professional organisation' in relation to NAATI revalidation and completing a course or webinar with certain organisations. I have contacted the revalidation team at NAATI, but the contact person is away on holidays for another week and I need to find out asap.

Section 3.1 of the revalidation catalogue awards PD points for:
"Attendance at a formal translating or interpreting professional development sessi
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am seeking some advice on the definition of 'professional organisation' in relation to NAATI revalidation and completing a course or webinar with certain organisations. I have contacted the revalidation team at NAATI, but the contact person is away on holidays for another week and I need to find out asap.

Section 3.1 of the revalidation catalogue awards PD points for:
"Attendance at a formal translating or interpreting professional development session, workshop, seminar or webinar conducted by a professional organisation in the industry, NAATI, university department, private or government language service agency."

I wish to complete a couple of paid or free webinars or courses on Proz, but am not sure whether NAATI considers it a professional organisation and will award me the relevant points.

Has anyone claimed Proz webinars as professional development for NAATI revalidation? What about other organisations like the American Translators Association or the Institute of Translators and Interpreters in the UK?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.
Collapse

Nicola Thayil
Nicola Thayil  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:56
Member (2012)
French to English
NAATI revalidation Jan 11, 2017

Hi Pegi

I have currently put Proz webinars under section 4.1 in the revalidation. My understanding is that any training delivered by AUSIT or a professional association overseas (ITI, ATA) would qualify under section 3 as would any PD offered by an agency or university.
I'm not completely sure though.
Nicola

[Edited at 2017-01-11 09:35 GMT]

Pegi
Pegi
Australia
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Claiming Proz courses in section 3 Jan 11, 2017

Thanks, Nicola, for your advice. I think Proz courses can definitely be claimed in section 4. I am still hoping however to claim them for section 3.

Is there anyone else who has claimed webinars or the like from Proz in section 3 of the NAATI revalidation catalogue? This is the area I am lacking points in right now and a Proz course would be the most convenient for me to complete in the short term.

Thanks again.
Peggy

Nicola Thayil
Australia
Member (2012)
French to English
Ausit webinar 16 Feb Jan 12, 2017

Hi Peggy
There's an AUSIT webinar on 16 Feb about mental health interpreting that's worth 20PD points in section 3.1
http://ausit.org/AUSIT/Eflash/170216_AUSIT_Webinar_Interpreting_in_Mental_Health.html?platform=hootsuite

Pegi
Pegi
Australia
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Accreditation expires this week Jan 12, 2017

Thanks again, Nicola. The main problem is that my accreditation expires in a few days and I the only thing I am missing is some points for section 3. I know we have a three-month grace period to submit the application, but I am under the impression all points must be gathered and courses completed within the three years. So I believe any courses I complete after the expiry date will not be able to be claimed for this cycle.

I've actually heard conflicting things from ringing around
... See more
Thanks again, Nicola. The main problem is that my accreditation expires in a few days and I the only thing I am missing is some points for section 3. I know we have a three-month grace period to submit the application, but I am under the impression all points must be gathered and courses completed within the three years. So I believe any courses I complete after the expiry date will not be able to be claimed for this cycle.

I've actually heard conflicting things from ringing around the NAATI offices about whether or not we can claim for courses completed within the three-month grace period. Again, I would ask the revalidation contact person, but they are still on holidays and NAATI keep referring me to ask this one person...
Collapse

Nicola Thayil
Australia
Member (2012)
French to English
Contact your local AUSIT branch Chair Jan 13, 2017

Hi Pegi

I would recommend contacting your local AUSIT branch chair who may be able to advise you.

Which state are you in?

Nicola

Pegi
Pegi
Australia
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I've now contacted AUSIT Jan 16, 2017

Hi Nicola,

I'm in Victoria and have now contacted AUSIT as well. They are attempting to assist me. Thanks for your time and advice!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professional development points for NAATI revalidation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »