Do translators/Interpreters in Australia really need NAATI cert?
Thread poster: Aubusinesspath
Aubusinesspath
Aubusinesspath
Australia
Local time: 20:16
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Sep 29, 2015

In most countries when you have a degree in Translation, you can pretty much translate and interpret, and you can do it in both directions of the languages you have studied..
In Australia, for each direction of translation you have to have to NAATI's approval... and you should get a separate accreditation for translation and a separate accreditation for interpretation.
This just doesnt make any sense to me!
Im wondering if all of you who are practicing out there have all sorts
... See more
In most countries when you have a degree in Translation, you can pretty much translate and interpret, and you can do it in both directions of the languages you have studied..
In Australia, for each direction of translation you have to have to NAATI's approval... and you should get a separate accreditation for translation and a separate accreditation for interpretation.
This just doesnt make any sense to me!
Im wondering if all of you who are practicing out there have all sorts of these accreditation and in both directions when you work of official assignments?!!!!

I am already accredited by NAATI, but the whole lots-of-directions-and-separate accreditation dont make sens to me !

[Edited at 2015-09-30 02:29 GMT]
Collapse

Patricia Will
Patricia Will  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:16
Member (2004)
German to English
NAATI cert necessary? Sep 30, 2015

There is no obligation as such to acquire NAATI certification, especially if you have other qualifications in translation and interpreting. Some agencies in Australia will state that they prefer it. It really depends on what area you are going to be working in. For your language I can imagine there is a demand in the community/public sector. NAATI accreditation is really only required to work in the public sector, i.e it is preferred for working in the justice system or in hospitals (but only be... See more
There is no obligation as such to acquire NAATI certification, especially if you have other qualifications in translation and interpreting. Some agencies in Australia will state that they prefer it. It really depends on what area you are going to be working in. For your language I can imagine there is a demand in the community/public sector. NAATI accreditation is really only required to work in the public sector, i.e it is preferred for working in the justice system or in hospitals (but only because it is some kind of minimum standard and there are so many translators and interpreters in certain languages without any qualifications at all) so I cannot see you would get turned down because you do not have it, as you have much better qualifications already. The NAATI stamp is required on a lot of documents for government authorities like the immigration department, but unless you are going to focus on the market for translations of personal certificates like drivers licences, birth certificates etc., where there may be limited demand and earning potential depending on language, I don't see why you would bother spending the money on the NAATI test.
When I first came here I actually thought I would not get any work at all without the NAATI certification. This was the impression I got from the NAATI website and also from the authority that recognises overseas qualifications. I already had 20 years experience and a degree from a UK university. But I still went to the bother of getting certified. Twelve years later I am working almost exclusively for clients overseas where the NAATI certification is irrelevant. I do translate the odd personal certificate for people living locally but that is a tiny part of my income. If you are planning on working for clients outside Australia definitely don't bother. But if you want to do a lot of community work here it may help you. If you want to discuss this further please contact me privately on [email protected]

Regards
Trish
Collapse

Aubusinesspath
Aubusinesspath
Australia
Local time: 20:16
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply Sep 30, 2015

Thanks Trish for the reply. I am already accredited by NAATI and I didnt have to sit for the test. but most of the people that come to me these days need official document translation and NAATI stamp has to be on it. which is fine with me I can do it.
But the whole separate accreditation for each direction or translation and interpretation for government or official documents dont make sense to me.
NAATI also told me if you are accredited for one direction you cant legally translate
... See more
Thanks Trish for the reply. I am already accredited by NAATI and I didnt have to sit for the test. but most of the people that come to me these days need official document translation and NAATI stamp has to be on it. which is fine with me I can do it.
But the whole separate accreditation for each direction or translation and interpretation for government or official documents dont make sense to me.
NAATI also told me if you are accredited for one direction you cant legally translate from the other direction!
Collapse

Patricia Will
Patricia Will  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:16
Member (2004)
German to English
NAATI cert necessary? Sep 30, 2015

I would dispute "you cannot legally translate". What they mean is that you cannot claim/state that you are accredited for that direction if you are not. And your NAATI stamp/declaration that you put on documents should make clear that the accreditation is for one direction only. So if someone needs a translation for official purposes, e.g for the immigration department, and it needs to be stamped then you can only stamp it if you are accredited for that direction; in Australia that would be into... See more
I would dispute "you cannot legally translate". What they mean is that you cannot claim/state that you are accredited for that direction if you are not. And your NAATI stamp/declaration that you put on documents should make clear that the accreditation is for one direction only. So if someone needs a translation for official purposes, e.g for the immigration department, and it needs to be stamped then you can only stamp it if you are accredited for that direction; in Australia that would be into English. However, anything else that you translate where the accreditation and official stamp are not required, e.g. if you are translating a brochure for a private company or some other kind of document that is not needed by a government authority, should be none of NAATI's business in my view.Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:16
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, not in most other countries Sep 30, 2015

Aubusinesspath wrote:
In most countries, when you have a degree in translation, you can pretty much translate and interpret, and you can do it in both directions of the languages you have studied.

I would have very little faith in a training institution that claims that it's students can translate and interpret in both directions after studying just three or four years. Are you sure that this is the situation in "most countries"?

Most (all?) translation associations that offer accreditation exams will test you in one direction at a time, and in one trade (translation or interpreting (and specific types of interpreting)) at a time.

It would come as a surprise to me if you are legally obliged to have NAATI accreditation in order to practice as a translator or interpreter. Are you sure about that?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: A new thread on this topic has been opened by sunshine34

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do translators/Interpreters in Australia really need NAATI cert?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »