Pedro Álvares
Pedro Álvares  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 09:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 2, 2019

Hello,

i hope i am posting something adequate in this thread. If not, please, let me know where it should go to.

I am just starting out in translation, EN - PT (European), and, as an exercise, i decided to translate the header of an article about an art fair. I am simply looking for some feedback on my choices. Any different/better suggestions are also welcome!

The article's purpose is to publicize an upcoming art fair dedicated to drawing that is taking pl
... See more
Hello,

i hope i am posting something adequate in this thread. If not, please, let me know where it should go to.

I am just starting out in translation, EN - PT (European), and, as an exercise, i decided to translate the header of an article about an art fair. I am simply looking for some feedback on my choices. Any different/better suggestions are also welcome!

The article's purpose is to publicize an upcoming art fair dedicated to drawing that is taking place in the UK. It is meant to spark curiosity and entice people to attend the fair.

(original text):
"Make your Mark: The Enduring Joy of Drawing [headline]. From the Lascaux caves to the notepad doodle, we have always been drawn to draw. On the eve of the UK's first art fair dedicated to drawing, we celebrate the freest and first of all art forms..."

(my translation):
"Deixa a tua marca: a alegria perene em desenhar
Desde as cavernas de Lascaux ao doodle de um notepad que o nosso percurso na arte do desenho parecia traçado. Na véspera da primeira feira de arte no Reino Unido exclusivamente dedicada ao desenho, celebramos aqui a primeira, e mais livre, de todas as formas de arte..."

Thank you!
Collapse

Natalia Pedrosa

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:23
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Pedro May 4, 2019

A não ser que o público da feira seja muito jovem, o que o texto não diz, evitaria o uso do "tu". Por outro lado, embora a primeira frase esteja bem construída com um estilo apelativo ela não traduz exatamente o texto EN (have always been drawn to draw) e nem sempre os clientes admitem a liberdade criativa: é preciso saber de antemão o que se pode, ou não, fazer...

P.S. Sorry to have answered in Portuguese but as you're asking feedback on a Portuguese translation I thought i
... See more
A não ser que o público da feira seja muito jovem, o que o texto não diz, evitaria o uso do "tu". Por outro lado, embora a primeira frase esteja bem construída com um estilo apelativo ela não traduz exatamente o texto EN (have always been drawn to draw) e nem sempre os clientes admitem a liberdade criativa: é preciso saber de antemão o que se pode, ou não, fazer...

P.S. Sorry to have answered in Portuguese but as you're asking feedback on a Portuguese translation I thought it was appropriate.

[Edited at 2019-05-04 10:58 GMT]
Collapse

Pedro Álvares
Switzerland
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feedback on a translation May 4, 2019

Thank you for the feedback. I didn't consider those two constraints (the use of formal register and the freedom of creativity) on the translation as this was an exercise. Will keep them in mind in the future and ask the client's opinion on them beforehand.

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Copyrighted material May 4, 2019

Hi, Pedro

Just intruding to warn you that the article excerpt you used was published recently in a leading UK newspaper. I am sure you know that that piece is copyrighted and you are not allowed to use it (or reproduce) it unless authorised.
So, if it would be OK for you to practice on any material copied/downloaded for your own use, the fact that you published a snippet in an open forum might infringe copyright laws.
Have a read through the newspaper's Terms of Service.
... See more
Hi, Pedro

Just intruding to warn you that the article excerpt you used was published recently in a leading UK newspaper. I am sure you know that that piece is copyrighted and you are not allowed to use it (or reproduce) it unless authorised.
So, if it would be OK for you to practice on any material copied/downloaded for your own use, the fact that you published a snippet in an open forum might infringe copyright laws.
This said, I am not a lawyer, so I might be overcautious here. Just thought I'd bring this up.
Collapse

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
"Fair dealing" exceptions in UK copyright law May 4, 2019

In the U.S. there are exceptions to copyright law known as "fair use." For example, as a university instructor I could photocopy and distribute up to a chapter from a book. In your case, UK law would apply, and I wouldn't worry too much, even though I claim no legal expertise. According to Wikipedia: "Fair dealing in United Kingdom law is a doctrine which provides an exception to United Kingdom copyright law, in cases where the copyright infringement is for the purposes of non-commercial researc... See more
In the U.S. there are exceptions to copyright law known as "fair use." For example, as a university instructor I could photocopy and distribute up to a chapter from a book. In your case, UK law would apply, and I wouldn't worry too much, even though I claim no legal expertise. According to Wikipedia: "Fair dealing in United Kingdom law is a doctrine which provides an exception to United Kingdom copyright law, in cases where the copyright infringement is for the purposes of non-commercial research or study, criticism or review, or for the reporting of current events. More limited than the United States doctrine of fair use, fair dealing originates in Sections 29 and 30 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, and requires the infringer to show not only that their copying falls into one of the three fair dealing categories, but also that it is "fair" and, in some cases, that it contains sufficient acknowledgement for the original author. Factors when deciding the "fairness" of the copying can include the quantity of the work taken, whether It was previously published, the motives of the infringer and what the consequences of the infringement on the original author's returns for the copyrighted work will be."Collapse

Gareth Callagy
Khalid Sabili
Angie Garbarino

Pedro Álvares
Switzerland
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copyright infringement May 5, 2019

Barbara, thank you for pointing this out. I think it is a very important point and something i will take better care in the future not to overlook. I believe Jessica's point on "fair use" applies to this exercise as i have not done it for commercial reasons and i won't receive any compensation for my translation. I ought to have given the name of the author and the origin of the piece, though, to keep it in accordance with what wikipedia says about fair use in UK copyright law.

In
... See more
Barbara, thank you for pointing this out. I think it is a very important point and something i will take better care in the future not to overlook. I believe Jessica's point on "fair use" applies to this exercise as i have not done it for commercial reasons and i won't receive any compensation for my translation. I ought to have given the name of the author and the origin of the piece, though, to keep it in accordance with what wikipedia says about fair use in UK copyright law.

In order to comply to these conditions, i will make the necessary references now: The piece of text i used was authored by Laura Cumming and copied from the Draw Art Fair website (https://www.drawartfair.com/). I used it for private study and not for commercial purposes.

Thank you both, this has been very helpful.
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Khalid Sabili
Jessica Noyes

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Public domain? May 6, 2019

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Hi, Pedro

This said, I am not a lawyer, so I might be overcautious here. Just thought I'd bring this up.

I'm no legal eagle, but as I understand it, if something has been published recently in a newspaper, that means it is now in the public domain, so nothing is compromised if someone takes an excerpt from it to use as an example like the case in point. However, I may be mistaken.

Jessica Noyes

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feedback on a translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »