Catarina Aleixo
Catarina Aleixo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:13
Member (2007)
Portuguese to English
Jul 18, 2008

Hello everybody,

I am in the process of setting up a new translation agency in Portugal. As a freelancer I have used Trados etc for my translations, but am in a quandry as to what is best for the purposes of an agency. Should I use synergy for project management? What about invoicing software and methods of keeping track of payments to freelance suppliers etc? If anyone has godd, tried and tested, solutions I would appreciate your help. Also if you can suggest anything I may have ov
... See more
Hello everybody,

I am in the process of setting up a new translation agency in Portugal. As a freelancer I have used Trados etc for my translations, but am in a quandry as to what is best for the purposes of an agency. Should I use synergy for project management? What about invoicing software and methods of keeping track of payments to freelance suppliers etc? If anyone has godd, tried and tested, solutions I would appreciate your help. Also if you can suggest anything I may have overlooked that would be excellent, too. Thanks!
Collapse

Leopoldo Gurman
Leopoldo Gurman
United States
Local time: 19:13
English to Spanish
Some ideas Jan 30, 2009

Hi Catarina,
Congratulations on your new business!
Most translation software vendors will be happy to assist you with their solutions for project management, there are also some programs designed specifically for this purpose, such as
http://www.projetex.com. You'll have to see which one(s) adjust better to your line of work.
That being said, some businesses just use spreadsheets for tho
... See more
Hi Catarina,
Congratulations on your new business!
Most translation software vendors will be happy to assist you with their solutions for project management, there are also some programs designed specifically for this purpose, such as
http://www.projetex.com. You'll have to see which one(s) adjust better to your line of work.
That being said, some businesses just use spreadsheets for those chores, if you're organized you may not need fancy/expensive/sophisticated software (though it certainly helps).
I'd suggest to get in touch with someone experienced in the specifics for Portugal and to make sure you take legal requirements into account.
One extra tip I can think of is off-site backups. Make sure you have a policy for that and that you follow it.

Leopoldo
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software etc for a new translation agency

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »