Daniel Salinero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:59
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 28, 2012

Good morning colleagues,

I am using a trial copy of Swordfish and have no experience with CAT tools, other than participating in a level 1 Trados course. I use an iMac with Mountain Lion. I've researched in the Swordfish III user manual but can't find the answer to my question below.

I was translating a newsletter from Spanish>English as a practice. Swordfish appears to be very user-friendly. Then I got to a segment where there were tags around almost every wo
... See more
Good morning colleagues,

I am using a trial copy of Swordfish and have no experience with CAT tools, other than participating in a level 1 Trados course. I use an iMac with Mountain Lion. I've researched in the Swordfish III user manual but can't find the answer to my question below.

I was translating a newsletter from Spanish>English as a practice. Swordfish appears to be very user-friendly. Then I got to a segment where there were tags around almost every word. I understand that I need to place the cursor in the target text where the source text tag needs to go and press CTRL +N, where "N" = tag number in the source text.

My newbie question: Since word order changes in the target text and many times there is no one-to-one correspondence for each "tagged" word, how do you decide where to place the tag?

Thank you,
Daniel Salinero
www.TheWriteTranslator.com
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:59
English to Polish
+ ...
Quick and dirty solution Jul 28, 2012

There must be exactly the same number of tags in a segment and in exactly the same order. So you can type your translation and then for example plug all tags at the end of segment.

Review you translation after exporting to check whether formatting looks the same as in the original.

BTW, there is a better shortcut for inserting tags, because if there are more tags, you will run out of shortcuts after 9 or 0. Have a look in the menu.

Regards,

Pio
... See more
There must be exactly the same number of tags in a segment and in exactly the same order. So you can type your translation and then for example plug all tags at the end of segment.

Review you translation after exporting to check whether formatting looks the same as in the original.

BTW, there is a better shortcut for inserting tags, because if there are more tags, you will run out of shortcuts after 9 or 0. Have a look in the menu.

Regards,

Piotr
Collapse

Daniel Salinero
Daniel Salinero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:59
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tags advice Jul 30, 2012

Thank you, Piotr. Your advice really helped me move on in my learning this software.
Thanks again,
Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tags: a "newbie" question

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »