Subtitling Tutorial
Thread poster: nOOb
nOOb
nOOb
English to Portuguese
Nov 10, 2005

Hi. I'm Gabriel and I'm a newbie here and I'd like to make a subtitling tutorial, all the technical parts.
All I've seen on the internet were stupid tutorials.
I don't know if someone still uses a special device for that.
I didn't have time to search the forum about this tutorial.
I'll finish with my english course last year so I'll be able to FACE a translation course.
We gotta think in a really good font!
I got a question for you guys:
If I want to su
... See more
Hi. I'm Gabriel and I'm a newbie here and I'd like to make a subtitling tutorial, all the technical parts.
All I've seen on the internet were stupid tutorials.
I don't know if someone still uses a special device for that.
I didn't have time to search the forum about this tutorial.
I'll finish with my english course last year so I'll be able to FACE a translation course.
We gotta think in a really good font!
I got a question for you guys:
If I want to subtitle movies, am I obligated to use a special device? Because subtitling in computers is REALLY better!
I also worked on anime fansubs (for anime subtitling) and I know how to use FX effects on subtitles.

Correct me if I'm rude.
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:42
French to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, quite rude. Nov 10, 2005

You just finished an "English" course.
You "want" all you need, and the best of it, and "you don't have time to look after it".
"You want to subtitle movies"... 35 mm? Impossible. Need a lot of money to do that.

Yes, subtitling on a computer is quite easy. Stik to it for the moment.
Best of lucks.

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 13:42
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Article on subtitling Nov 10, 2005

We don't have a tutorial, but you can read an article for beginners here: http://www.proz.com/doc/32

However, I think you need to make time for searching and researching, if you want to learn.

Good luck,
Dan

lim0nka
lim0nka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:42
English to Polish
What kind of tutorial? One for all? Nov 11, 2005

Impossible. If you cared a little and looked at other topics on this subject, you would learned that every company or film agency has different requirements.

Besides, whenever you start working as a subtitler for a new agency, you get a tutorial from them. The rules for subtitling vary but the companies have them written down. So I don't see a point in writing such a tutorial. Especially that you are just a beginner in the business... so what do you want to write about?

... See more
Impossible. If you cared a little and looked at other topics on this subject, you would learned that every company or film agency has different requirements.

Besides, whenever you start working as a subtitler for a new agency, you get a tutorial from them. The rules for subtitling vary but the companies have them written down. So I don't see a point in writing such a tutorial. Especially that you are just a beginner in the business... so what do you want to write about?

Anetta
Collapse

nOOb
nOOb
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry! Nov 11, 2005

Calm down, guys.
Let me introduce myself, I was kinda "rude" because I was in a hurry.
My name is Andrius Gabriel, I'm just 17 years old and I live in Brazil (Rio Grande do Sul), as I said I'm just finishing my english course (one of the best of the State) because my translation course wants my best english skills.
Sorry for acting stupid.
I just wanted to know more about subtitling.
And besides, some professionals hate beginners (but I'm not even a beginner yet).... See more
Calm down, guys.
Let me introduce myself, I was kinda "rude" because I was in a hurry.
My name is Andrius Gabriel, I'm just 17 years old and I live in Brazil (Rio Grande do Sul), as I said I'm just finishing my english course (one of the best of the State) because my translation course wants my best english skills.
Sorry for acting stupid.
I just wanted to know more about subtitling.
And besides, some professionals hate beginners (but I'm not even a beginner yet).
AND NOW I ALMOST GOT MY QUESTION ANSWERED!
I insist, that's my curiosity. Give me an example of which device is used in subtitling, compreendes, amigo?
I know there's a different device used in cinema movies, bla blah...
Anyway, I guess you don't need a device to subtitle DVD movies, you can use a computer instead.

See ya guys.

P.S. I read that tutorial, it's completely right but I already knew about all she said. There's more about subtitling in here: http://screenfont.ca/fonts/today/
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
I insist, too. Nov 11, 2005

What kind of subtitling, man? Translation for subtitling or subtitling? Video, laser, electronic, DVD, 35 mm, for opera, what?
We don't hate beginners, which you not even are, as you say.
BUT:
-You are 17 years old.
-You "just" finished "an English course".
-And please, don't "compreendes, amigo?" me!

nOOb
nOOb
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
[...] Nov 13, 2005

Oh, sorry but I gotta go.
I just asked a question and it seems like you want to kill me!
Sorry, but I don't wanna "bother" you guys anymore.
Anyway, "compreendes" it's a portuguese word, when I said that it didn't have nothing to do with spanish, man.
"Amigo" in portuguese, is "friend" too.

And YES, I'm a beginner. I already worked for 2 websites related to subtitles.

Don't need a reply because, anyway, I won't read it.

Juan Jacob
Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
[...] Nov 13, 2005

[...]

Wow Feb 3, 2011

This thread should be called "A tutorial on how to not enter an industry".

Translating rules. May 28, 2011

I find it quite amusing how much my fellow countrymen enjoy looking bad on the internet.
Someone mentioned some translating rules used by subtitling companies, where can I find those (or something similar at least)?

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
Local time: 13:42
English to Danish
It varies May 28, 2011

Translating rules - well, it highly depends on your target language.

What reading speed is customary for this language?
- If the guys on screen are talking very fast, but the frame is only on for like 2,5 seconds, then you would not be able to put very much of the text on screen, and exactly how much would depend on the customary reading speed for your language.

E.g., in Danish, the reading speed is something like: 1 line (max. 40 characters incl. spaces) 1-2 seco
... See more
Translating rules - well, it highly depends on your target language.

What reading speed is customary for this language?
- If the guys on screen are talking very fast, but the frame is only on for like 2,5 seconds, then you would not be able to put very much of the text on screen, and exactly how much would depend on the customary reading speed for your language.

E.g., in Danish, the reading speed is something like: 1 line (max. 40 characters incl. spaces) 1-2 seconds; 2 lines (max. 40 characters incl spaces per line) 3-5 seconds.

From there on, the rules may very.
Some agencies tell you that you cannot always use the correct punctuation rules of the target language due to certain conventions within this company to e.g. break lines in a certain way or whatever.
If two speakers speak in the same frame, there may be different ways to make this clear to the reader.
Some agencies say that using abbreviations and a more slang like spelling would do just fine, whereas others go strictly for correct spelling at all times. Others againg actually look at the type of film/series and the people talking before deciding whether or not slang etc. may be used.

What I am actually trying to say is, that you need to speak to the subtitling companies to know what this company's specific rules are.

Good luck.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling Tutorial

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »