Thread poster: Mary Giachetti
Mary Giachetti
Mary Giachetti  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:02
French to Italian
+ ...
May 28, 2020

Hello colleagues, I hope you can help with this.

In the video that I am traslating EN>IT, there are 2 people speaking English until one of them says something in Russian ("я тебя люблю", which means I love you) and the other replies also in Russian ("я тебя люблю тоже" which means I love you, too).

I think the viewers will have no problem understanding what it means. But am I supposed to translate those sentences into Italian anyway? And in case
... See more
Hello colleagues, I hope you can help with this.

In the video that I am traslating EN>IT, there are 2 people speaking English until one of them says something in Russian ("я тебя люблю", which means I love you) and the other replies also in Russian ("я тебя люблю тоже" which means I love you, too).

I think the viewers will have no problem understanding what it means. But am I supposed to translate those sentences into Italian anyway? And in case I have to, how should I indicate my translation? Maybe with a different font/brackets/inverted commas?

Here's the dialogue between the 2:

Speaker 1 - "I love you, Nataliya. How do you say 'I love you' in Russian?"
Speaker 2 - "я тебя люблю".
Speaker 1 - "я тебя люблю".
Speaker 2 -"Great! я тебя люблю тоже".

Thank you.
Collapse

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:02
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
covered by dialogue May 28, 2020

Hello Mary,

One of my vendors suggests not to translate the dialogue in such cases. As you said, looking at the context, viewer will understand what's being said. It's covered by the previous dialogue and translating into Italian looks a bit odd. If you'd like to put something in the subtitles anyway, maybe you might consider converting Cyrillic to Latin and then italicize those texts, to give more information to the viewers.

Best,

Kang Seok Lee
expressisverbis

Kang Seok Lee
Kang Seok Lee
South Korea
Local time: 04:02
Member (2018)
English to Korean
+ ...
By different color font May 29, 2020

I agree with the idea/explanation of Mr.Sarper Aman.
Mostly, it is recommended to use/put the different color font to those sentences.
Regards

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 20:02
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Standards for subtitling may vary May 31, 2020

In those cases, I use Italic font according to the European Portuguese standards for subtitling.
We can also use quotation marks in certain circumstances.

[Edited at 2020-05-31 13:50 GMT]

Josephine Cassar

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Foreign language in subtitles

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »