Vivian Vergal
Vivian Vergal
Brazil
Local time: 01:45
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 30, 2020

Hello everyone,
I'm new here, but I encountered a problem today using Aegisub (a software I'm quite used to) that I really can't solve on my own. Since I'm on a schedule to deliver these subtitles, I thought I'd ask for help.
I'm having trouble when loading my audio track onto Aegisub so I can start on the subs. I've tried opening both video and audio files individually from the source, and get the same problem every time: the audio loads, but I can only hear/see the waveforms
... See more
Hello everyone,
I'm new here, but I encountered a problem today using Aegisub (a software I'm quite used to) that I really can't solve on my own. Since I'm on a schedule to deliver these subtitles, I thought I'd ask for help.
I'm having trouble when loading my audio track onto Aegisub so I can start on the subs. I've tried opening both video and audio files individually from the source, and get the same problem every time: the audio loads, but I can only hear/see the waveforms of background audio. None of the dialogues can be heard at all, which is obviously what I need to see and hear in order to make the subs. I don't know if it's a problem with Aegisub or the file, but I'm guessing it's Aegisub since the file plays normal on VLC (I even tried downloading SubtitleEdit and testing over there: it plays fine). I've tried converting the vid and extracting the audio but nothing seems to work. Can anyone help me with this? I really don't want to start on another software at this time, since my schedule's tight and I'm already so used to Aegisub.
Here are the formats I'm working with if that helps at all:
Video is and MP4, nothing special there;
Audio has a Bit rate of 189kbps, two channels, and 48000 kHz sample rate.

As I said I'm fairly used to Aegisub but only use it occasionally, since I don't exclusively subtitle full-time - but still, have never come across this before.

Would be much obliged if anyone could shed some light here. Thanks!!
Collapse

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:45
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Different Audio Player May 1, 2020

Hello Vivian, I'm not a Aegisub user but just brain storming here. Have you tried using different audio player?

Ekran Resmi 2020-05-01 10.37.50

[Edited at 2020-05-01 07:45 GMT]

Vivian Vergal
Vivian Vergal
Brazil
Local time: 01:45
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Different Audio Player May 1, 2020

Hey Sarper, thanks so much for replying. I have tried that actually, with no luck. Same problem.
It's actually become a bit more odd now, I've asked the client to send me the isolated dialogue track, and they did. When I load it onto to Aegisub, I get no waveforms at all. No sound. As if the file's empty. Again, it plays normal on other programs. I really don't understand this!

[quote]Sarper Aman wrote:

Hello Vivian, I'm not a Aegisub user but just brain storming here. Have you tried using different audio player?

graciemiville
graciemiville
Canada
same question Jan 31, 2022

The same problem, and so far I have no idea how it is solved at all. I tried reinstalling the drivers on the computer, but that didn't help either. I use sounds from the sound library for work in order to create voiceovers of various cartoons, and I urgently need to solve this problem, since I can't work yet. I was told that I have to solve this on my own, since I am currently in quar... See more
The same problem, and so far I have no idea how it is solved at all. I tried reinstalling the drivers on the computer, but that didn't help either. I use sounds from the sound library for work in order to create voiceovers of various cartoons, and I urgently need to solve this problem, since I can't work yet. I was told that I have to solve this on my own, since I am currently in quarantine due to the virus and no one can contact me for about another week. I just don't know what to do and I hope that someone will help me figure it out. Thank you in advanceCollapse

Anna Miller
Anna Miller
United States
Problem with Audio on Aegisub: waveform only shows background sound Jan 31, 2022

I have the same problem, and I've tried to play with settings. But nothing helps

Julia Vidile
Julia Vidile  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:45
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Got the same problem... May 10, 2022

Hi, I just got the same problem (that's when I came upon this topic) and I just nudged up very slightly one of the sliders (the center one) on the right of the audio window and the waveforms magically appeared (I wanted to aadd a screenshot but I can't find the option). Hope that can help someone.

Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Slider May 10, 2022

Julia Vidile wrote:

Hi, I just got the same problem (that's when I came upon this topic) and I just nudged up very slightly one of the sliders (the center one) on the right of the audio window and the waveforms magically appeared (I wanted to aadd a screenshot but I can't find the option). Hope that can help someone.

You mean this one?

In any case, thank you for taking the time to provide a solution and letting us all know. Such contributions are always highly appreciated.

Disclaimer:
Not my screenshot, I stole it from Wikipedia and made edits as necessary.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Audio on Aegisub: waveform only shows background sound

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »