Thread poster: Janaina Ribeiro
Janaina Ribeiro
Janaina Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:02
English to Portuguese
May 22, 2016

Dear all,

I am using subtitle workshop for a very important job and it has been puzzling me how the line breaks don´t save.

I have already adjusted the settings to break lines longer than 27 characters, but it doesn't happen. The break spottings appear as long as I am working in the file and manually set the breaks, but they disappear once I close and reopen it.

I am saving in a .sub format, I wonder if the format has anything to do with it.

C
... See more
Dear all,

I am using subtitle workshop for a very important job and it has been puzzling me how the line breaks don´t save.

I have already adjusted the settings to break lines longer than 27 characters, but it doesn't happen. The break spottings appear as long as I am working in the file and manually set the breaks, but they disappear once I close and reopen it.

I am saving in a .sub format, I wonder if the format has anything to do with it.

Can somebody help? I have been going through manuals and tutorials but I haven't got that covered.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Janaína
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:02
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- May 22, 2016

Hi Janaina,

I just tried to reproduce your problem, but to no avail — all the line breaks remain intact on my end. Are you using SW 6.0b? And do you select SubViewer 2.0 when saving your file?

UPD: Works just fine on SW XE as well.

[Edited at 2016-05-22 17:53 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Subtitle Workshop version? May 22, 2016

I know of three major SW versions:
v2.51 - from Uruguay - still works fine, but a bit old
V4.0 - from Uruguay - an attempted rewrite from scratch, does NOT work well, incomplete
V6.0 - from Bulgaria - IMO the best currently available

My usual m.o. is SSA.
After a long "parameters preamble", two subtitles look like this (two lines only - I've added a line between them for you to see) on the Windows Notepad:

Dialogue:
... See more
I know of three major SW versions:
v2.51 - from Uruguay - still works fine, but a bit old
V4.0 - from Uruguay - an attempted rewrite from scratch, does NOT work well, incomplete
V6.0 - from Bulgaria - IMO the best currently available

My usual m.o. is SSA.
After a long "parameters preamble", two subtitles look like this (two lines only - I've added a line between them for you to see) on the Windows Notepad:

Dialogue: Marked=0,0:00:35.49,0:00:38.26,Default,NTP,0000,0000,0000,!Effect,A paixão pela invenção\Nnunca morre.

Dialogue: Marked=0,0:00:38.39,0:00:41.83,Default,NTP,0000,0000,0000,!Effect,É divertido imaginar alguma coisa\Ne depois criá-la de verdade.

The line break char is obviously \N

I saved that same file as SRT. The same pair of subtitles looks like this (no extra lines added) on the Windows Notepad:

00:00:35,490 --> 00:00:38,260
A paixão pela invenção
nunca morre.

00:00:38,390 --> 00:00:41,830
É divertido imaginar alguma coisa
e depois criá-la de verdade.

So the line break char is a hard [Enter].

In the SW window, on the subtitles list, the line break char is the | ("pipeline") char, in ABNT2 keyboards Shift+\. In the text box below, it's a standard line break [Enter]. This applies to both (SSA/SRT) file formats, as well as any other. If you don't see them, you won't get them.

Some players and subtitle burning software programs will break long subtitles if you configure them to do so.

Hope this sheds some light.
Collapse

Janaina Ribeiro
Janaina Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Subtitle Workshop File Formats May 22, 2016

Dear Max and José,

Thank you so much for your help and support.

By the way, I am using the 6.0 version. I saved the file as 2.0 Sub Reviewer and it worked fine, the breaks were saved when I reopened the file.

Now, I don't know if there will be any problem as the format saved was *.sub.srf .

The agency asked me to deliver it in a *.sub format.

Do you have any idea if this might get in the way of opening the subtitles in a differen
... See more
Dear Max and José,

Thank you so much for your help and support.

By the way, I am using the 6.0 version. I saved the file as 2.0 Sub Reviewer and it worked fine, the breaks were saved when I reopened the file.

Now, I don't know if there will be any problem as the format saved was *.sub.srf .

The agency asked me to deliver it in a *.sub format.

Do you have any idea if this might get in the way of opening the subtitles in a different software application?

Thanks again, hoping to master this software cause I am so addicted to subtitling already!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitle Workshop: how to save line breaks

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »