Thread poster: PamelaTh
PamelaTh
PamelaTh
Local time: 12:42
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 13, 2016

Hello all,

I need an advise on how to deal with a translation problem.

I am translating an American TV series into Italian and they are teaching a little kid how to read. They have a board where they write words letter by letter such as "at" "cat", "hat". I would normally substitute with different words in Italian but the problem is that the letters are clearly visible in the screen.

What do you do in cases like that? Has it happened to anyone before?
... See more
Hello all,

I need an advise on how to deal with a translation problem.

I am translating an American TV series into Italian and they are teaching a little kid how to read. They have a board where they write words letter by letter such as "at" "cat", "hat". I would normally substitute with different words in Italian but the problem is that the letters are clearly visible in the screen.

What do you do in cases like that? Has it happened to anyone before?

Thanks for your inputs.
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:42
French to English
+ ...
It may be OK to mix languages in a phrase Apr 13, 2016

One way to do it, especially if the plot is clearly happening in America, is to insert English words into the Italian subtitle. It may be helpful if your subtitling system supports italics or another way to emphasize a part of the text.
Something like:

C-A-T, cat (gatto)

or

Il gatto - a cat, scriviamo C-A-T

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
Local time: 13:42
English to Italian
+ ...
Or simply leave that out Apr 14, 2016

Especially if the words are easily understood by the Italian audience and clearly conveyed both on screen (eyes) and in the audio (ears).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Teaching how to read - How to render it in another language

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »