Juliane Richter
Juliane Richter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:34
English to German
+ ...
Jun 21, 2012

Hello,

I am on the search of a good professional subtitling software, if possible with a free trial version.

Can anybody give advices and and recommendations?

Thank you,
Juliane

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
Local time: 06:34
English to French
Wincaps, Spot, EZ Jun 21, 2012

Hi Julianne,

I know Wincaps, EZTitle and Spot editor are good software and have a trial version. My personal favourite is Swift Create but you have to pay for the dongle to be able to try it.

Good luck.

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:34
English
+ ...
I'm also a Swift user... Jun 25, 2012

..but would recommend Wincaps, Isis or Spot.

A Swift trial costs around £600 +VAT which is deducted from the purchase price if you go on to buy a full version.

I haven't used Spot yet, but it certainly gets good writeups and is very versatile.

It's a number of years since I last used Wincaps, and, to be honest, I didn't get on well with it at all. They may have changed things since then, but I didn't like having to switch between different modes for differ
... See more
..but would recommend Wincaps, Isis or Spot.

A Swift trial costs around £600 +VAT which is deducted from the purchase price if you go on to buy a full version.

I haven't used Spot yet, but it certainly gets good writeups and is very versatile.

It's a number of years since I last used Wincaps, and, to be honest, I didn't get on well with it at all. They may have changed things since then, but I didn't like having to switch between different modes for different tasks.

Isis is also very versatile, and has good customer support.

Poliscript is another option, but I can't say I know too much about it since the last piece of their software that I used was DOS-based!

Most of the systems are pretty much compatible with each other, using a range of common file formats (pac, stl, srt, txt, etc), but there are some issues - ususally with caption positioning - so it's important to check which systems your end clients are using and investigate compatibility before investing.
Collapse

Juliane Richter
Juliane Richter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:34
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 27, 2012

Thank you very much, your recommendations were very helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling Software

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »