Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
Local time: 11:05
English to Italian
+ ...
May 23, 2012

Dear colleagues,

I hope you can help me. I have recently added subtitling and audiovisual translation to my specialties. I have already been asked several times to provide cueing as well as subtitle translation. Does anybody know of a course in Italy I can attend that specifically focuses on spotting? I would also be happy to take lessons from an experienced subtitler.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Monica

Margherita Angelucci
Margherita Angelucci  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:05
French to Italian
+ ...
professione doppiaggio May 23, 2012

Ciao Monica,

non so se già conosci Professione Doppiaggio, organizzano molti corsi per adattori dialoghisti e traduttori di audiovisivi nelle loro sedi di Roma, Milano e Verona.

Ecco il link del loro sito
http://www.professionedoppiaggio.com/corsi.html

Spero possa esserti utile.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Software-specific May 23, 2012

Monica,

A course in subtitle spotting would most likely cover each program's features to make the job easier and faster, i.e. more productive. There are no scientific theories about a subtitle going on when people begin to say what's in it, and going off when they finish. The 'human comfort in reading subtitles issues' (for which there ARE science and standards) should have been properly handled in translation.

So the choice should be based on the software you use. If
... See more
Monica,

A course in subtitle spotting would most likely cover each program's features to make the job easier and faster, i.e. more productive. There are no scientific theories about a subtitle going on when people begin to say what's in it, and going off when they finish. The 'human comfort in reading subtitles issues' (for which there ARE science and standards) should have been properly handled in translation.

So the choice should be based on the software you use. If your clientele demands subtitles compatible with a certain program that creates a spcific and proprietary format, that's the only way to go. If they request certain more popular formats (e.g. SRT, SSA, TXT), you have a wider choice. And if you'll be doing the burning/DVD authoring yourself, it's completely up to you.

The point is in you first selecting the software or having it selected for you, and then finding a course on it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cueing training in Italy

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »