Per-line rates for subtitle translation?
Thread poster: Teodora Gaydarova
Teodora Gaydarova
Teodora Gaydarova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:15
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
May 19, 2012

Hello colleagues,

I was recently asked by a translation company about my per line rate for the translation of subtitles.
I have always and only been paid by per-word so far so that was a bit unusual. I was wondering whether anyone of you has ever been paid per line of translated text, speaking about subtitles once again?

Thank you!

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:15
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
rates normal per minute or per line May 19, 2012

For subtitling rates per minute or per line are pretty normal, depending on whether you have to spot etc,....

other variables are whether you'll get to see the script, and how well it corresponds with the actual lines used in the movie / series...

Based on a simple word rate you will not be able to make any money doing subtitling, a lot of time goes into making your text more compact and spotting it, or replaying something over and over because it's unclear what people
... See more
For subtitling rates per minute or per line are pretty normal, depending on whether you have to spot etc,....

other variables are whether you'll get to see the script, and how well it corresponds with the actual lines used in the movie / series...

Based on a simple word rate you will not be able to make any money doing subtitling, a lot of time goes into making your text more compact and spotting it, or replaying something over and over because it's unclear what people say...

Ed
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Per-line rates for subtitle translation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »