Thread poster: GeoGenesis
GeoGenesis
GeoGenesis
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:31
English to Chinese
May 3, 2012

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for sending the completely filled in AF.

We’d like you to accept the rates we offer for the two most common tasks:

Ø Translation: USD $1.00 per minute runtime
Ø Proof: USD $0.200 per minute runtime

We would also like to you to confirm a date to take our Proficiency Test.

This test consists of approximately 60 subtitles for you to translate from English to Traditional Chinese, your native langua
... See more
Dear xxxx,

Thank you for sending the completely filled in AF.

We’d like you to accept the rates we offer for the two most common tasks:

Ø Proof: USD $0.200 per minute runtime

We would also like to you to confirm a date to take our Proficiency Test.

This test consists of approximately 60 subtitles for you to translate from English to Traditional Chinese, your native language.

You will have four continuous hours to complete the test. It’s a timed PT so you will have four continuous hours to complete the test. You may ask for the test anytime between your 11:00 AM and 5:00PM Monday-Friday.

We ask you to perform this test live, from home. The test is done in a Word document and will be sent to you as soon as we receive an email from you asking for the same. It is divided into three parts, each containing an excerpt from a feature film or from DVD bonus material to be translated into your target language. Each section is preceded by a short explanatory paragraph for context. While taking the test, you are permitted to consult any verb guide, dictionary or Internet resource that you would normally use while translating. There is no video to accompany this test.

Please note that this test is timed and unpaid, which means that you will not be paid for the time you take to complete the test nor for the translation. By proceeding with the test, you agree to this condition of the application process. The test is used solely to evaluate your translation skills in order to determine whether to include you in our translator pool.

Since this is a very urgent requirement please ensure you’ve completed all the mandatory HR formalities listed below along with your next reply:

· Sent us your latest CV.
· Filled in the attached Application Form completely
· Accepted our tariff as part of your email reply.
· Decided on a date for the test.

Please visit our web site xxx for more information regarding our company.

If you have any questions during the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us. Please let us know if at any point you are not interested in completing the application process.

We look forward to having you join our team of translators!
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:31
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Doesn't seem nice to me. May 3, 2012

Genesis wrote:

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but does that mean that I would receive the grand amount of $90.00 for subtitling an entire 90 minute movie? If so, I'd rather stay in bed or read a book.

GeoGenesis
GeoGenesis
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:31
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Not to mention the 4 hour online test for free. May 3, 2012

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Genesis wrote:

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but does that mean that I would receive the grand amount of $90.00 for subtitling an entire 90 minute movie? If so, I'd rather stay in bed or read a book.

That's why I posted it, it's outrageous that these agencies still exist.
I am wondering how they survive.

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:31
English to German
+ ...
Subtitling a forum entry May 3, 2012

Jeff: let me subtitle this forum post with saying I read the TO post title as an ironical one. Depending on the other person present there, I personally also tend to stay in that particular piece of nice furniture if offered rates of that kind (and would definitely spend a nice couple of hours in it if I'd be subtitling other things aside of an occasional forum post and was offered that particular rate for getting out of it)

[Edited at 2012-05-03 20:42 GMT]

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:31
English to French
+ ...
Hmmm.... May 3, 2012

Genesis wrote:
Jeff Whittaker wrote:
Genesis wrote:

Simple! By selling your translation $500-$1000. If not more...

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:31
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Actually May 4, 2012

Genesis wrote:

The agencies survive and have profits.

I am wondering how on earth translators accept to work with such rates. The agency is not giving space for negotiations, since they assume your next email reply will also mean you accept their peanut rate It also means that their strategy has worked so far and they do actually have a "translators pool" (this is how they see translators, why not to use the word database or anything else similar?).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nice one! [Amusing rates for subtitling ;)]

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »