Sylvia Schlacher
Sylvia Schlacher  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 15:02
English to German
+ ...
Mar 2, 2012

Hi eveybody,

I am new to the software EZtitles and would need your help.
I have done some jobs for a client (translating voice-overs for a TV show) and now they asked me to do the "off setting". I have tried to find out how to do this in EZtitles but did not really find a helpful function, also I went through the manual but there was nothing that seemed helpful.

What the client wants me to do is adjust the time codes to the video which has "coming up"-sequences a
... See more
Hi eveybody,

I am new to the software EZtitles and would need your help.
I have done some jobs for a client (translating voice-overs for a TV show) and now they asked me to do the "off setting". I have tried to find out how to do this in EZtitles but did not really find a helpful function, also I went through the manual but there was nothing that seemed helpful.

What the client wants me to do is adjust the time codes to the video which has "coming up"-sequences and commercial breaks in the source version but not in the target version (i.e. they cut them out).

Anyone any clue?

I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,
Sylvia
Collapse

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
Local time: 14:02
English to French
... Mar 2, 2012

Hi Sylvia,

I think what the client meant was that they're going to give you a video and a subtitle file that doesn't match the video exactly and you'll have to retime the subtitles to match the video.

I don't have EZtitle, but I know that off-setting means to change the timing of all the subtitles with one click. You can delay them all, or make them all come earlier.

Try and find in the EZtitle manual what this function might be. It might not be called "off
... See more
Hi Sylvia,

I think what the client meant was that they're going to give you a video and a subtitle file that doesn't match the video exactly and you'll have to retime the subtitles to match the video.

I don't have EZtitle, but I know that off-setting means to change the timing of all the subtitles with one click. You can delay them all, or make them all come earlier.

Try and find in the EZtitle manual what this function might be. It might not be called "off-setting".

I hope that helps
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Set delay? Mar 2, 2012

Faustine Roux wrote:
Try and find in the EZtitle manual what this function might be. It might not be called "off-setting".

In Subtitle Workshop, it's called "Set delay".
Menu path is Edit | Timings | Set delay (Ctrl+D).
Maybe it's a standard term.

Check how much you should delay (+/-) the FIRST subtitle, and apply that to all af them. Then go watching the video with the subs, until the first out-of-time sub appears. Repeat the process to that and all those afterwards. If you are lucky, you'll only have to re-spot (and apply a delay to all subs afterwards) at the points where they made the cuts. Otherwise it will require respotting everything.

Margarita Díaz
Margarita Díaz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:02
French to Spanish
+ ...
EzTitles - recut Mar 2, 2012

Hello.

If the two previous answers are what you need, the function you need is called "Recut", you'll find it under "Titles".

All the best,

Marga

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EZtitles, need help with "off-setting"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »