Thread poster: Lisa Villeneuve
Lisa Villeneuve
Lisa Villeneuve  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:08
English to Danish
+ ...
Dec 2, 2011

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a good and easy to use subtitling software? Either free or not too expensive.
I've been doing subtitles for 7 years, but always for companies with their own software. Recently I got a job where I need my own but there are so many different to choose from that I was hoping to get some advice here.

Thanks.

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:08
Polish to English
+ ...
Subtitle Workshop Dec 2, 2011

Hi Lisa,

If you need output in text format, e.g. *.srt (which can be later added to the actual film or simply played along the video), then check Subtitle Workshop.

It is free, widely used, and has translation mode (source subtitles on the left, you input target subtitles on the right, while watching the preview in the top part of the UI).

Adam

Przemek Kalemba
Przemek Kalemba  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:08
Member (2011)
English to Polish
+ ...
Try SPOT Dec 2, 2011

My favourite is SPOT, very easy to use, nice user-friendly interface. It costs about EUR 2000 to buy. That's very sad, I know. But you can download a trial and see for yourself if it's worth it!

Good luck!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Subtitle Workshop and... Dec 2, 2011

... search on http://www.videohelp.com for anything else you need in digital video, free/share/commercial/ripoffware, as well as some great tutorials.

Lisa Villeneuve
Lisa Villeneuve  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:08
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 6, 2011

Thanks for the answers. I think I'll have a look at Subtitle Workshop first. The 2000 euro is a bit too much for me

Lisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling software

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »