How to burn DVD movie to be watched on tv with soft subtitles?
Thread poster: Denise Soria
Jul 14, 2011

Hi everyone
I've used subtitle workshop for adding subtitles in a movie. Then used format factory to author it so that it can be watched using a DVD player (on tv, not pc) but the subtitles were burned in the picture. Is there any way to add them so that I can activate and deactivate the subtitles?
Thank you!
PS. If it's not possible with format factory, is there any other freeware I can use? Thanks.

Szabolcs Király
Szabolcs Király  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 10:28
Portuguese to Hungarian
+ ...
For example Jul 14, 2011

Hi,

there are a couple of freeware software for that. I assume you use Windows, so you can try DVD Flick http://www.dvdflick.net/index.php

Simple interface, easy-to-use functions, several supported formats. (However, you will not be able to go deep into the settings.)

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:28
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Authoring Jul 14, 2011

I've never heard of this Format Factory.

VirtualDub with its Subtitler plugin is excellent for burning subs on the video, VHS-like (i.e. only way to watch without the sub is by applying some duct tape to the lower part of the screen). Its subtitles are sharper than the actual image on all videos I've seen so far.

Switchable subtitles is a DVD thing. Even when there is no menu, by clicking on the "subtitle" key on the remote you may cycle through all available subtitle s
... See more
I've never heard of this Format Factory.

VirtualDub with its Subtitler plugin is excellent for burning subs on the video, VHS-like (i.e. only way to watch without the sub is by applying some duct tape to the lower part of the screen). Its subtitles are sharper than the actual image on all videos I've seen so far.

Switchable subtitles is a DVD thing. Even when there is no menu, by clicking on the "subtitle" key on the remote you may cycle through all available subtitle sets. One DVD may have up to 30 different subtitle sets, and 8 different audio (dubbed) tracks. One additional option for subs is 'Off'.

Though I use a lot of really great freeware programs for video - and there are many - I haven't yet found a good one for DVD authoring. The best freeware for overlaid subtitles I've seen so far, though quite limited, is AVI2DVD. My favorite commercial software for authoring DVDs with overlaid/switchable subtitles it is the abandonware Ulead DVD Workshop 2. I use Sony Vegas Platinum and its companion DVD Architect Studio, however only the Pro version (costs many times more) of the latter has the overlaid subtitles feature.
Collapse

Daniel Todorovski
Daniel Todorovski
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Here's one solution (freeware) Jul 14, 2011

In Subtitle Workshop, export your final work to .srt.

Then use Subtitle Creator to convert your .srt to .sup. Or you can use Maestro SBT for more customizable and beter looking subtitles with a little more w
... See more
In Subtitle Workshop, export your final work to .srt.

Then use Subtitle Creator to convert your .srt to .sup. Or you can use Maestro SBT for more customizable and beter looking subtitles with a little more work.

Then use Muxman (fully functional) Demo version to author your DVD. Muxman accepts only demuxed MPEG video and audio streams, so depending on your source, you might need to find a way to separate them and/or encode the video to MPEG.

It's complicated, but the quality is very high, approaching and often exceeding professional programs.
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:28
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Soft Subtitles Jul 15, 2011

What are "soft subtitles"? I know subtitles of course but do not know soft subtitles.

Szabolcs Király
Szabolcs Király  Identity Verified
Hungary
Portuguese to Hungarian
+ ...
soft Jul 15, 2011

Soft subtitles are subtitles that you can switch on/off. That is, they are part of the DVD structure and not the image itself. Hard subs are burnt onto the image so, you'll always see them.

Denise Soria
Denise Soria  Identity Verified
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jul 15, 2011

I'll be trying your suggestions right now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to burn DVD movie to be watched on tv with soft subtitles?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »