Subtitles prepared with Poliscript not appearing during play out
Thread poster: starkillers
Jun 9, 2011

Hello everybody,
I am currently using the Poliscript 3000 subtitling Preparation Station on a Windows 7 computer. I am not outputting any burnt in subtitles I am taking a video file provided by my client importing it into my Poliscript system and capturing timecodes to prepare a final PAC file for them to use on their play out system which I am not sure what they are using. My problem is this... The video I am subtitling has a lot of graphics in it and I have to raise my subtitles to the t
... See more
Hello everybody,
I am currently using the Poliscript 3000 subtitling Preparation Station on a Windows 7 computer. I am not outputting any burnt in subtitles I am taking a video file provided by my client importing it into my Poliscript system and capturing timecodes to prepare a final PAC file for them to use on their play out system which I am not sure what they are using. My problem is this... The video I am subtitling has a lot of graphics in it and I have to raise my subtitles to the top of the screen so they do not interfere with what is on screen. In the Poliscript system they look great when I raise them to the top line however when the client puts these in their play out system and watches them all my raised subtitles do not appear at all... Then I lowered them down one line from the top and the subtitles appear in the middle of their screen during play out. I also had an issue where my bottom line on my screen was placed below a graphic in the video and on play out it appeared on top of the graphic... From what I have read Poliscript was designed to always be in Safe Area only allowing lines 0 - 11 with 0 being the very top of the screen and 11 the very bottom of the screen. Which confuses me as to why the subtitles aren't appearing. Could this be an issue with settings on the play out system? This is driving me insane... I would be extremely grateful for any help or ideas.

Thank you very much
Collapse

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:12
English
+ ...
It's a common problem Jun 10, 2011

I've had experience of similar issues in the past.

The problem is that the software manufacturers all seem to use slightly different interpretations of the conventions for coding subtitle files into the various export formats. Positioning is usually the main problem, with captions which display fine on one system being outside the safe area on another.

Find out what system your client is using and then pass on the information to Screen Systems and see if they can come
... See more
I've had experience of similar issues in the past.

The problem is that the software manufacturers all seem to use slightly different interpretations of the conventions for coding subtitle files into the various export formats. Positioning is usually the main problem, with captions which display fine on one system being outside the safe area on another.

Find out what system your client is using and then pass on the information to Screen Systems and see if they can come up with a fix. You could also ask your client to contact their manufacturer with details of your system, because it's in the interests of both manufacturers to have better compatibility between their systems.

There are two possible short-term fixes: try one of the other file formats, eg .stl, or feed your .pac file through another subtitling system which your client knows is fully compatible with theirs. (WinCAPS is usually a good bet.)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitles prepared with Poliscript not appearing during play out

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »