thing the schools have in common is that the teachers are
never satisfied with your work. It can be a bit hard to
bear because no one likes having their work torn to pieces,
but I remind myself that if I knew how to do it perfectly,
there'd be no need for studying at ETI. The facilities are
top notch! Basically, you pay a little more than you would
at ESIT, but from what I’ve seen at ESIT, the few extra
francs are worth it. No holes in the ceilings, plenty of
computers available and a library that's open until 10.
I’ve only been to ESIT to take the admissions exams, and
my impression is that the one big advantage of ETI is the
facilities. Maybe someone from ESIT could give some
feedback here just to make sure. The entrance exam was not
a piece of cake. If you won't to pass it, read the
newspapers in your respective languages for several
months.....especially your native one!!!!! If you pass the
entrance exam and decide to come here, you can work up to
20 hours per week in Switzerland. I currently have a job
teaching English, and I must say the jobs in Switzerland
pay rather well. The cost of living is higher, but if you
can find a room in a residence or through university
housing, you should be ok. Geneva is an expensive city, yet
I've managed to put some money aside and take some vacations
here and there. One thing I love is the bike lanes!!! I love
being able to take my bike to school and work because the
bus and trams get old after a bit. As far as whether ETI or
ESIT are better, I'd say they are comparable. I must say
that I never thought I'd be surrounded by so many people
with a gift for languages at ETI. Ok, I don't want to make
this too long so if anyone has any other questions about
ETI, don't hesitate to ask!!! Take care and good luck with
whichever path you take.

[Edited at 2008-02-03 18:35]

[Edited at 2008-02-03 18:36]
Collapse

André Fachada
André Fachada  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:42
FCSH UNL Feb 7, 2008

In Portugal you still have Faculdade de Ciencias Sociais e Humanas, Universidade Nova de Lisboa in lisbon (url- www.fcsh.unl.pt) - this is where i study and i'm quite happy here!!!
Please do include my University to the list!!!

Cheerz

velle
velle
France
Local time: 00:42
French to Italian
+ ...
my experience... Mar 3, 2008

hi everyone!
I began my university courses in Milan at Scuole Civiche Milano and then i moved to trieste where I graduated last July.
Both schools are good but I don't like the city of Milan...:)
From september I will move to Genève to begin a 2 years master...and I am so happy about that!
When I will begin studying there I will post my impression of the school...
bye bye
Valentina

Emilie Collavet
Emilie Collavet
Local time: 19:42
English to French
+ ...
Canada Mar 10, 2008

Hello eveybody...

Well I was quite fed up with the French system, so I decided to study abroad, and I am currently finishing my degree in Glendon College, Toronto. The campus is small, teachers are great and I loved my degree.

I would be happy to give anyone more info about my school.

Emilie

SoleProz wrote:

Hi there!

Got a question:

Which would you say are the best places to study translation in your country?

See you!
S.

Dorota Cooper
Dorota Cooper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:42
English to Polish
+ ...
UK undergraduate courses Mar 13, 2008

Andrzej Oleszak wrote:

Probably everyone thinks their mother school/university is the best in the country

Hehe, I have to agree 100% with that sentiment! I'm studying at Aston University and it's truly a joy, the only downside is that the language school is a bit underfinanced and therefore not all that it could be. However, I was a Translation Studies student rep this year and we've managed to improve a few things, so really it does get better all the time

The language school is very small, but apart from the money issue it's a plus - the community is very close-knit, the lecturers are wonderful and they not only know your name but also remember what you were like 2 years ago, and they are dedicated to helping you succeed.

The course is quite a mixture of theory and practice, shifting from 'mainly theory' to 'mainly practice' as you go from year to year. Apart from classes taken by everyone like translation theory or linguistics, everything happens in the language you're studying - I was shocked to learn it was not the norm at all universities!

Really, I have loved my time here so much, I can't sing praises enough. I will be really really sad to leave, to the point of considering a PhD just for an excuse to come back! As one of the lecturers told us in October: "We are already thinking about how sad it will be to see you guys go - when you were going for the year abroad we knew you were coming back!"

Pablo Arig
Pablo Arig  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 20:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for your post Mar 13, 2008

Hi Dorota,

Really touching what I read from your post. And places like the one you are attdending have to be promoted, or whatever the best word to put it.

RegardZ,

Pablo (Paul)

Dorota Szczypka wrote:

Andrzej Oleszak wrote:

Probably everyone thinks their mother school/university is the best in the country

Hehe, I have to agree 100% with that sentiment! I'm studying at Aston University and it's truly a joy, the only downside is that the language school is a bit underfinanced and therefore not all that it could be. However, I was a Translation Studies student rep this year and we've managed to improve a few things, so really it does get better all the time

The language school is very small, but apart from the money issue it's a plus - the community is very close-knit, the lecturers are wonderful and they not only know your name but also remember what you were like 2 years ago, and they are dedicated to helping you succeed.

The course is quite a mixture of theory and practice, shifting from 'mainly theory' to 'mainly practice' as you go from year to year. Apart from classes taken by everyone like translation theory or linguistics, everything happens in the language you're studying - I was shocked to learn it was not the norm at all universities!

Really, I have loved my time here so much, I can't sing praises enough. I will be really really sad to leave, to the point of considering a PhD just for an excuse to come back! As one of the lecturers told us in October: "We are already thinking about how sad it will be to see you guys go - when you were going for the year abroad we knew you were coming back!"

Pablo Arig
Pablo Arig  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 20:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Which places in B.A. are good ? Mar 13, 2008

Hello,

I know there are very few places in my country to study translation, and as far as I know if you want to study interpretation in my country, forget it becuase that's not taught here.

In BA are there any good Institutions or Universities where to study Interpretation and/or translation ?

Thanks,

Pablo.Paul

Aldana Gómez Ríos
Aldana Gómez Ríos  Identity Verified
Belgium
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not sure what you mean... Mar 13, 2008

Pablo Arigon wrote:

Hello,

I know there are very few places in my country to study translation, and as far as I know if you want to study interpretation in my country, forget it becuase that's not taught here.

In BA are there any good Institutions or Universities where to study Interpretation and/or translation ?

Thanks,

Pablo.Paul

Hey Pablo, do you mean Buenos Aires? Here in La Plata (not far from Bs As) we have the Universidad Nacional de La Plata which is apparently a popular place to study translation (check out how many of us UNLP students there are in the StudentZ Community!!). Whether it's good or not, I'll leave it to an advanced student to answer that

CheerZ!

Xiaochuan Cao
Xiaochuan Cao
China
Local time: 07:42
English to Chinese
+ ...
Fudan University Aug 2, 2008

Hello!
I'm studying English and Chinese translation and interpreting at Fudan University, China, which isn't listed. Fudan University is based in the city of Shanghai. The Department of Translation and Interpretation, which is under the College of Foreign Languages and Literatures, was founded in 2004.

[修改时间: 2008-08-02 01:35]

Jwoodroof1
Jwoodroof1
United States
German to English
Top 10 U.S. Translation Schools Dec 7, 2009

Have you guys come across this list:

Top 10 U.S. Translation Schools

http://www.altalang.com/beyond-words/2009/09/23/top-10-us-translation-schools/

Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 00:42
French to Dutch
+ ...
Universiteit Antwerpen, Hogeschool voor Vertalers en Tolken Feb 14, 2011

Hi!

I study Dutch, French, Spanish and English at the University of Antwerp (Belgium), and I wanted to give more information about my school:

- My school is now called 'Artesis' (but they still use the name Hogeschool voor Vertalers en Tolken as well, since it's better known in Belgium)
- Contact person: Ms Anne Verhaert (she's the 'headmistress'): e-mail: [email protected]
- aderess: ... See more
Hi!

I study Dutch, French, Spanish and English at the University of Antwerp (Belgium), and I wanted to give more information about my school:

- My school is now called 'Artesis' (but they still use the name Hogeschool voor Vertalers en Tolken as well, since it's better known in Belgium)
- Contact person: Ms Anne Verhaert (she's the 'headmistress'): e-mail: [email protected]
- aderess:
Artesis departement Vertalers en Tolken
Schildersstraat 41
Antwerpen
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best places to study translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »