Miriam Hooijer (X)
Miriam Hooijer (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 08:28
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Just new! Jan 13, 2008

Hi everyone,

It's very nice to meet so many translation students and to read about how you all got into the translation field. My name is Miriam, I live in the Netherlands and it actually took me a very long time to get where I am.

You could say that I'm not your average student. I turned 30 just last month and this summer I will graduate and receive my university degree in Spanish translation. But the road to get there has been long. As I did not know what direction I
... See more
Hi everyone,

It's very nice to meet so many translation students and to read about how you all got into the translation field. My name is Miriam, I live in the Netherlands and it actually took me a very long time to get where I am.

You could say that I'm not your average student. I turned 30 just last month and this summer I will graduate and receive my university degree in Spanish translation. But the road to get there has been long. As I did not know what direction I wanted to go into when I finished high school, I decided to enrol in Marketing. I did not really like or enjoy it but finished it anyway in order to have a degree. Afterwards I worked for 4 years in 2 different multinational companies but I was not happy and I got more and more dissatisfied in time. So I started to really think about what I really wanted and the answer was actually quite simple: languages. They have always been a part of me: I was born in Spain but grew up in Curaçao (island in the Caribbean, Dutch colony), where the average person learns to speak Dutch, Papiamento, English and Spanish. And about 5 years ago I took a Portuguese language course just for fun. Some bells should have started to ring by then, eventually they did! And the reason I chose translation is because I enjoy being able to connect people who normally would not be able to because of language barriers.

I do not ever regret having taken this decision, it's been one of the best ones in my life!

Un saludo,
Miriam.
Collapse

Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Miriam! Jan 14, 2008

Good to know you've found your path into translation
You'll find loads of people ready to help your way through here, so welcome aboard!

¡Saludos!

Sole

Marta Scapellato
Marta Scapellato  Identity Verified
Italian to French
+ ...
about Masters degrees... Jan 16, 2008

varkell wrote:

Hi!

My name is Vicky...

So, when I graduate this summer I am taking a year out, looking for work experience in translation companies combined with some travel, and then will possibly undertake a Masters degree in translation (currently deciding between the University of Westminster in London, ESIT in Paris and ETI in Geneva – suggestions from students greatly appreciated!)

Vicky.

Hi Vicky,

I am pleased to read I am not the only one looking for a Master degree, that´s encouraging ! I am also currently deciding where I am going to study next year and I would like to take the Exam for ESIT and ETI in two months.

I am Italian and I am currently doing an internship in Frankfurt. My languages are also French (I graduated in France) and German.
I know there is another good university offering masters in translation and interpreting in Strasbourg. Otherwise, if you are interested in studying in Germany, there are the Universities of Heidelberg and Germersheim. That´s all I know at moment.
Apart from the University of Westminster, do you know other universities offering such masters in England ?

I would be glad to get in touch with you, we could exchange usefull pieces of information, they would be very welcome considering my tight application deadlines !

Hope to read you soon

Marta

Dagmara Kuliś (X)
Dagmara Kuliś (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:28
English to Polish
+ ...
Masters Jan 17, 2008

Hey girls!

Depending on the kind of MA you want to do, maybe have a look at the University of Warwick. I am doing MA in Translation Studies here right now. The thing is that, as said, it depends on what you are looking for - my programme is mainly the theoretical side of translation. But I must say I am very happy with it - teachers are great, classes are very interesting and there are lots of people from all over the world. There are also different programmes here - in Translation
... See more
Hey girls!

Depending on the kind of MA you want to do, maybe have a look at the University of Warwick. I am doing MA in Translation Studies here right now. The thing is that, as said, it depends on what you are looking for - my programme is mainly the theoretical side of translation. But I must say I am very happy with it - teachers are great, classes are very interesting and there are lots of people from all over the world. There are also different programmes here - in Translation and Creative Writing in French or Italian, for example. Anyways, if you have any questions, I hope I will be able to help.
Collapse

Marta Scapellato
Marta Scapellato  Identity Verified
Italian to French
+ ...
Thank you Jan 23, 2008

Hello Dagmara !

Thank you for your information, I will have a look at your university.

Marta

[Modificato alle 2008-01-23 11:34]

Silvia Aquino
Silvia Aquino  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:28
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A late introduction Feb 1, 2008

Anne Diamantidis wrote:

Welcome Eliza, Amurara and Silvia in the StudentZ Community !

CheerZ,
Anne

Thank you Anne for the warm reception!
I am a little late in doing my introduction but the fact is that I joined Proz in the end of the year when I had a lot of work to finish and after that I had holidays during January.
I read all the introductions and it appears to me that I am not the usual type of student (we always want to be different!): I am probably the oldest of this group, I am married with 2 grown up kids (27 and 31 years old).
I always was fascinated by languages and when I did the secondary school I studied English and French at the same time. I forgot to say that I am Brazilian- as far as I know, the only one in this group - and my native language is Portuguese. It´s nice to see that some of you speak Portuguese.
At the University I had a degree in Social Sciences and worked for more than 30 years in market research. As I had a lot of international projects, they were as a sort of training in translation because I always had a lot of material to be translated from English to Portuguese: questionnaires, moderation guides and all the correspondence and talking with the clients. It was a very good school as I learned a lot doing these jobs. As I always worked in marketing research companies, the diversity of projects was huge, and this allowed me to know about many sectors: telecomunications, IT, finance, FMCG products, automotive. Two years ago I began to be a freelance in marketing research and in 2007 I decided to engage seriously in a translation course, at Alumni School, in São Paulo, Brazil. My project is to finish the course and be a freelance translator specialized in market research, although I realize now that this is much more difficult than I imagined.
Besides that, I love to sing Brazilian popular music, to go to the movies, to read and to travel. My dream is to stay for some time in some place in England in order to be more familiar with the English language.
I think that being part of PROZ will be a great improvement for me.

Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bem-vinda Feb 1, 2008

Hi Silvia,

Great to welcome a paulista in our community! Though you are not the only Brazilian student here: check in the students' networking tool http://www.proz.com/?sp=student_search

Unlike many students -the usual type let's call it- your vast work experience lets you have an area of specialization before you start your academic formation, which is something most stu
... See more
Hi Silvia,

Great to welcome a paulista in our community! Though you are not the only Brazilian student here: check in the students' networking tool http://www.proz.com/?sp=student_search

Unlike many students -the usual type let's call it- your vast work experience lets you have an area of specialization before you start your academic formation, which is something most students have to decide/figure out on the way to graduation and also very often as pros after some years of experience and specific training. So this puts you in a special position and the site offers many networking channels to exploit that (KudoZ, forums, ProZwiki, etc) I'm sure you'll do more than fine

So welcome Silvia and hope to listen more from you soon!

Kind regards,

Soledad
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Wow! Feb 2, 2008

Hi Silvia ! Thank you for your great introduction ! Wow, your curriculum is amazing
I'm sure your experience is going to be extremly useful for students here, it's a real joy to have you among us - you certainly have a lot to say and to share !

Welcome here and very warm regards from (cold winter!) France

CheerZ,
Anne

Silvia Aquino
Silvia Aquino  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you all Feb 5, 2008

Anne Diamantidis wrote:

Welcome Eliza, Amurara and Silvia in the StudentZ Community !

CheerZ,
Anne

Anne and Sole,
Thank you very much for the nice reception! I hope we can do a lot together!
CheerZ,
Silvia

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
;-) Feb 14, 2008

silvia367325 wrote:

Anne and Sole,
Thank you very much for the nice reception! I hope we can do a lot together!
CheerZ,
Silvia

Hi Silvia

Thanks for your message and welcome here ! Great to meet you !
CheerZ,
Anne

Magdalena Brzózka
Magdalena Brzózka
Polish to English
+ ...
Another aspiring translatior from Poland Mar 11, 2008

Hi everyone,
My name is Magda Brzózka (impossible to read by a foreigner huh and with this complicated name I decided to ba a translator. I'm a woman, but I'm interested in computers, engines, cars and medicine. I speak Polish, English, Spanish and a bit of German: Ich mochte ein aspirin bitte.
I am a proud Applies Linguistics BA from June 2007. I wrote
... See more
Hi everyone,
My name is Magda Brzózka (impossible to read by a foreigner huh and with this complicated name I decided to ba a translator. I'm a woman, but I'm interested in computers, engines, cars and medicine. I speak Polish, English, Spanish and a bit of German: Ich mochte ein aspirin bitte.
I am a proud Applies Linguistics BA from June 2007. I wrote my thesis about Chicana literature in the USA and this topic continues to be of my interest until now. Currenlty I'm studying at Univesity of Szczecin (another difficult name;) ) 4th year of English philology. My MA thesis is on translation of situational humour in "Family Guy" TV series 1 and 2.

I love reading books. Now I'm in the middle of three different books: Terry Pratchett's "Carpe Jugulum", James Clavell's "Tai Pan" and Anne Rice's " La reina de los condemnados" (original title: "The queen of the damned"
Collapse

Aldana Gómez Ríos
Aldana Gómez Ríos  Identity Verified
Belgium
Spanish to English
+ ...
Welcome Magdalena! Mar 11, 2008

We have similar interests, how lovely! and congrats on your BA =)

Magdalena Brzózka wrote:

Hi everyone,
I am a proud Applies Linguistics BA from June 2007. I wrote my thesis about Chicana literature in the USA and this topic continues to be of my interest until now. Currenlty I'm studying at Univesity of Szczecin (another difficult name;) ) 4th year of English philology. My MA thesis is on translation of situational humour in "Family Guy" TV series 1 and 2.

I love reading books. Now I'm in the middle of three different books: Terry Pratchett's "Carpe Jugulum", James Clavell's "Tai Pan" and Anne Rice's " La reina de los condemnados" (original title: "The queen of the damned"

Dorota Cooper
Dorota Cooper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:28
English to Polish
+ ...
Hello guys Mar 13, 2008

Hi everyone,

I've actually been a ProZian for years, but as I haven't been that active the last few, I never got around to posting here. But the time has come

I'm from Poland but studying in the UK, this summer I'll be graduating with a BSc Translation Studies (French). I've applied to MSc Scientific, Technical and Medical Translation with Translation Technology (English - Polish and Polish - English) at
... See more
Hi everyone,

I've actually been a ProZian for years, but as I haven't been that active the last few, I never got around to posting here. But the time has come

I'm from Poland but studying in the UK, this summer I'll be graduating with a BSc Translation Studies (French). I've applied to MSc Scientific, Technical and Medical Translation with Translation Technology (English - Polish and Polish - English) at Imperial College in London, hoping to hear from them in the next 2 weeks or so, so wish me luck!!

My mum is an ENPL freelancer, she started shortly after I was born, so I've actually lived with translation all my life Mum introduced me to ProZ when I was still in high school, and that year was my most active year here, I even hosted my own Powwow in Wroclaw (Poland). I hope to be more active soon though Soon meaning after the exam period

My main interest is technical translation, I was lucky enough to work as an in-house translator for a helicopter engine manufacturing company in France during my year abroad, it was tons of fun! I loved that job!

Outside translation, I love reading fantasy and science fiction, playing MMORPG games online, learning half a dozen other languages, learning to draw and doing other fun stuff
Collapse

TimoK
TimoK
Finland
Local time: 09:28
English to Finnish
+ ...
Terve ! Apr 29, 2008

Hi everyone,

I’m more than happy to join StudentZ Forum, since you lot seem to have a very friendly atmosphere here. So, my name is Timo and I’m Finnish. I’m 27 years old and almost done with my second year at the University of Turku. Before commencing my studies at the university, I studied at a local navigation school for three years and worked at sea for one and a half years.

My major subject is called English Translation Studies and I’m thinking of taking S
... See more
Hi everyone,

I’m more than happy to join StudentZ Forum, since you lot seem to have a very friendly atmosphere here. So, my name is Timo and I’m Finnish. I’m 27 years old and almost done with my second year at the University of Turku. Before commencing my studies at the university, I studied at a local navigation school for three years and worked at sea for one and a half years.

My major subject is called English Translation Studies and I’m thinking of taking Spanish as a minor. I first need to pass the entrance exam though, which is easier said than done. Needless to say, I’ve always loved languages, because they’re just so fascinating. I’m very interested in different cultures and language definitely plays a vital role in learning a new culture.

I think translating is very intriguing. It involves a great deal of problem solving and you usually learn plenty of new things in the process. One day, I would love to work as a freelance translator, because the idea of having no one to answer to but yourself is quite tempting.

Regards,

Timo
Collapse

María Cecilia Maza
María Cecilia Maza
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
My first time here!!! Jun 20, 2008

Hi everyone!!! My name´s Cecilia. I´m from Argentina, now living in Córdoba, the very heart of my country. I don´t live in downtown, I´m 1 hour away!!!
Anyways... I´m on my last year of college in the translation track! Hope to graduate soon!

A little background: I am 26 years old. I was born in the province (or state for other registers) of Misiones in Argentina... I lived there up to my 16 and then moved
... See more
Hi everyone!!! My name´s Cecilia. I´m from Argentina, now living in Córdoba, the very heart of my country. I don´t live in downtown, I´m 1 hour away!!!
Anyways... I´m on my last year of college in the translation track! Hope to graduate soon!

A little background: I am 26 years old. I was born in the province (or state for other registers) of Misiones in Argentina... I lived there up to my 16 and then moved to Cordoba where I finished high school.
Then I took some courses for a few years and decided to study Translation!!! It was a hard work to enter university but I finally made it!

And as I said before I´m finishing my course of studies, hopefully this year! (cross your fingers!)

As regards the rest of my life... well... I enjoy gathering, hanging out with friends... The greatest joy of my life!!!

I love going to the movies... and I miss it! long time I last saw one! haha

I still live with my parents and one brother who is finishing Dentistry...

So... I think this is it... for the time being...

I thank ProZ for the ongoing opportunities it offers for pros and non-pros.... I´m still a student and take advantage of all the courses available here in Cordoba...

And now I´m member (at least for 6 months) but I´ll take profit of all the benefits it brings about!!!

So.... folks..... nice writing my own intro and reading your own!!

Thanks for the chance of introducing ourselves and expressing our ideas with other ProZians!!!

Till the next!!!

Bye

Ceci (Cordoba, Argentina)
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Introductions

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »