Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Long live Noam! Nov 9, 2007

Glad to have you here Karol!

I was also "unlike many students" a Grammar freak - still are. Also a Generativist, so maybe we could exchange some articles later on, if you are interested.

By the way, have you considered publishing your paper at the site's arti
... See more
Glad to have you here Karol!

I was also "unlike many students" a Grammar freak - still are. Also a Generativist, so maybe we could exchange some articles later on, if you are interested.

By the way, have you considered publishing your paper at the site's article knoweldgebase?
http://www.proz.com/translation-articles

This is also an open invitation to all students, of course. I know you guys are surely writing great stuff as part of your courses or for your graduate thesis, and the site offers a space for linguists to publish their work. It is yet another way to start building your reputation as language service providers and a great option to add value to your profiles at the site.

Great weekend to you all!

Sole.
Collapse

Karol Kacprzak
Karol Kacprzak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:43
English to Polish
+ ...
About publishing the paper... Nov 10, 2007

SoleProz wrote:

By the way, have you considered publishing your paper at the site's article knoweldgebase?

Well, I haven't thought about it but it seems to be a nice idea. Not sure, though, what category I should put it in. I also doubt if it would be of any interest to other translators because, honestly, most people find this topic downright boring.

There are also some purely technical problems, My BA contains lots of diagrams and syntactic trees which I cannot put into text or simple HTML and I can't see any option to submit the article in, for example, PDF.

Karol

ap sprachen (X)
ap sprachen (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
Hello everybody Nov 10, 2007

First of all I'd like to thank Anne for her welcome message. Its great to meet you all - people from all over the world who share the passion for languages.

A few words about me: I come from Germany and I'm 31. Worked 4 years in tourism before I did a university degree in Spanish and Portuguese linguistics at the university of Munich. Also spent one year at the Universidad de Salamanca, Spain. I finished my studies already 4 years ago. Since then, I have worked for different publish
... See more
First of all I'd like to thank Anne for her welcome message. Its great to meet you all - people from all over the world who share the passion for languages.

A few words about me: I come from Germany and I'm 31. Worked 4 years in tourism before I did a university degree in Spanish and Portuguese linguistics at the university of Munich. Also spent one year at the Universidad de Salamanca, Spain. I finished my studies already 4 years ago. Since then, I have worked for different publishing houses, mostly in editorial jobs. Some time ago, I took up a distance career as a Spanish translator in order not to forget (but to perfect) my Spanish and - if everything is going all right - I will take the state exam next year. Since this summer I'm living in a small and quiet village in the Black Forest, good surroundigs for studying, little distraction! The landscape is really beautiful, and I love to do outdoor sports here, but having spent most of my life in big cities, I really do feel a bit "isolated" sometimes. Glad that there is this thing called internet, and ProZ, and all of you. And last but not least, I also practise a bit of English

Hope to read from you soon!
Angelika
Collapse

Soledad Azcona
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for telling us a bit about you! Nov 10, 2007

Hi Angelika! Welcome aboard!
When the thing is too quiet you can always come and have some fun with us!

To Karol:
There are also some purely technical problems, My BA contains lots of diagrams and syntactic trees which I cannot put into text or simple HTML and I can't see any option to submit the article in, for example, PDF

Yes, trees can be a nightmare I know. I guess they could be added as graphics to the article, that's one solution I can think of. I could assist you on how you to do this if you want.

And I do believe many translators -other than me- will find it interesting!

Take care!

S

Aldana Gómez Ríos
Aldana Gómez Ríos  Identity Verified
Belgium
Spanish to English
+ ...
Welcome Karol!! Nov 10, 2007

Karol Kacprzak wrote:

SoleProz wrote:

Well, I haven't thought about it but it seems to be a nice idea. Not sure, though, what category I should put it in. I also doubt if it would be of any interest to other translators because, honestly, most people find this topic downright boring.

There are also some purely technical problems, My BA contains lots of diagrams and syntactic trees which I cannot put into text or simple HTML and I can't see any option to submit the article in, for example, PDF.

Karol

I, for one, would love to read your paper! Let me know when it is uploaded!

Karol Kacprzak
Karol Kacprzak  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Upload Nov 12, 2007

I decided to simply upload it to the ftp I happen to have at my disposal. I know that introductory topic is not exactly a place for this but creating a new one would not make much sense either...
http://tiny.pl/j9nl
Don't mind the page in Polish, it says that I attest that it was I who wrote it.

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Welcome guys ! :-) Nov 12, 2007

Hi Angelika and Karol !! Pleased to meet you guys !!

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Welcome "Newbies" ! :-) Nov 21, 2007

Welcome Eliza, Amurara and Silvia in the StudentZ Community !

CheerZ,
Anne

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Welcome new StudentZ members ! Dec 6, 2007

Warm welcome to Zaffiro, Ewelina Ziemba, groovje, crothwell and orangelani in the StudentZ Community !

CheerZ,
Anne

varkell
varkell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:43
French to English
+ ...
Hello everyone! Jan 7, 2008

Hi!

My name is Vicky and I’m a fourth year student at the University of Nottingham, UK studying French and German. I have dual nationality British/Swiss and grew up in England. With a Swiss side to the family and many holidays spent on the continent, languages have always been a part of my life. I am now in my final year of studying so really need to be thinking about career plans!

Translation has only recently become a real passion for me from taking different module
... See more
Hi!

My name is Vicky and I’m a fourth year student at the University of Nottingham, UK studying French and German. I have dual nationality British/Swiss and grew up in England. With a Swiss side to the family and many holidays spent on the continent, languages have always been a part of my life. I am now in my final year of studying so really need to be thinking about career plans!

Translation has only recently become a real passion for me from taking different modules in it, and as I really want to use my languages in my working life it seems like my best option. So, when I graduate this summer I am taking a year out, looking for work experience in translation companies combined with some travel, and then will possibly undertake a Masters degree in translation (currently deciding between the University of Westminster in London, ESIT in Paris and ETI in Geneva – suggestions from students greatly appreciated!)

Otherwise, my hobbies are sport such as dancing, riding and skiing, and travel. My travels thus far have been mainly within Europe so I’m looking to go further afield in my year out and go to South America, also to pick up some Spanish while I’m there!

Anyway for someone just starting out, any suggestions or tips would be very much appreciated. It’s certainly been interesting reading about other new members! So, nice to meet you all and thanks for setting up this forum!

Vicky.
Collapse

Soledad Azcona
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Welcome to our student community! Jan 8, 2008

Hi Vicky,

Well, you are in the right place to start thinking about your future career, if you use the opportunities that the site gives you wisely you will see how new opportunities will present. Use the site to network, learn and start creating your reputation in the industry. You will find a community of experienced translators at forums, KudoZ, powwows and conferences, ready to help you and give you advice.
A tip: complete you profile. It is like you "business card" so it
... See more
Hi Vicky,

Well, you are in the right place to start thinking about your future career, if you use the opportunities that the site gives you wisely you will see how new opportunities will present. Use the site to network, learn and start creating your reputation in the industry. You will find a community of experienced translators at forums, KudoZ, powwows and conferences, ready to help you and give you advice.
A tip: complete you profile. It is like you "business card" so it has to be impressive! Think of it as spot the site gives you to show yourself to the world, so try to make it look as good as possible.

We have some ESIT, ETI and Westminster students than can give you a hand, there was a thread about best places to study translation in this forum, you may ask them there, or you may use the student search tool to contact them directly. http://www.proz.com/?sp=student_search

And if you are planning to come "down here", do not hesitate to ask if I can be of any help!

Greetings from extremely hot (we are with air conditioning and fans at the office) La Plata,

Sole
Collapse

Vitaliy Plinto
Vitaliy Plinto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:43
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Hello Everyone! Jan 8, 2008

Greetings to everyone!

My name is Vitaliy and I am extremely excited to join all of you guys, such a huge community of translators! Originally I am from Ukraine, and my native language is Russian. Currently I am working towards my Master of Arts degree in Translation at Kent State University in the United States and will be obtaining my degree this coming May. One of the reasons I chose to become a translator is simply due to love and inspiration that I feel from learning languages
... See more
Greetings to everyone!

My name is Vitaliy and I am extremely excited to join all of you guys, such a huge community of translators! Originally I am from Ukraine, and my native language is Russian. Currently I am working towards my Master of Arts degree in Translation at Kent State University in the United States and will be obtaining my degree this coming May. One of the reasons I chose to become a translator is simply due to love and inspiration that I feel from learning languages and working with languages. My history of learning languages began when I immigrated to United States in 1993 (long time ago) At that time I was only 13 years old and was attending middle school where we were introduced to various languages and had to pick one to continue with it in High School. At that time I fell in love with Italian for its natural and lyrical sounding like a song, and continued pursuing studies of Italian language and culture in high school and later at university. Then, another language which inspired me as I was pursuing my degree in Business Management at Case Western Reserve University was French. Although I studied French only for 2 years (unlike Italian 10 years), I have been able to feel the beauty of it, especially when I participated in a Polyglot Play with other students. My top career interests are Medical, Scientific, Business and Literary Translations, and I look forward to pursue my translator career in these fields and to work with everyone of you on fantastic projects that involve these and many other interesting fields!
As far as my hobbies and interests are concerned, I love lyrics, poetry, music, competitive sports (running, swimming), fitness and wellness (weight training) and books on animals and nature. I also enjoy reading literature on self-improvement, astrology and esoterics. My favorite TV programs are National Geographic and Animal Planet shows. I look forward to meeting you all on our forum!

Vitaliy
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Hello girls ! Jan 9, 2008

Hi Vicky and Vitality !

Welcome here !! It's great meeting you !
Thank you or introducing yourselves, wow, it's great to meet so many different people from all around the globe with so many various interests and so open-minded !

I'm looking forward to our common coming adventures on the forum, girls !

CheerZ,
Anne

Dagmara Kuliś (X)
Dagmara Kuliś (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 11:43
English to Polish
+ ...
Hello to all! Jan 10, 2008

My name is Dagmara and I have just joined ProZ (after checking it out for a while ). In June I should finish my degree in Philology and Culture of Western Europe at the University of Warsaw, where I studied English, Spanish and French, and then, in August, the Master programme in Translation Studies at the University of Warwick. I also spent a year as an Erasmus student in Belgium at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven and managed to le... See more
My name is Dagmara and I have just joined ProZ (after checking it out for a while ). In June I should finish my degree in Philology and Culture of Western Europe at the University of Warsaw, where I studied English, Spanish and French, and then, in August, the Master programme in Translation Studies at the University of Warwick. I also spent a year as an Erasmus student in Belgium at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven and managed to lear some Dutch (or Flemish, if you prefer). As one of few foreigners, I have been trying to cope with West-Flemish because my fiance is from this lignuistically crazy part of Flanders and whenever we visit his family I have a chance to exercise my listening skills.
Since the end of high school I have been thinking of working as translator and, after spending three months of internship at a translation office, I am fully convinced that this is what I want to do.

Greetings from rainy England!
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Welcome Dagmara ! Jan 13, 2008

Hi Dagmara !
Great presentation Nice to meet you girl !

CheerZ,
Anne

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Introductions

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »