Student users-only topic

How can we as students prepare ourselves to be good translators?
Thread poster: basmalah
basmalah
basmalah
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 24, 2008

Dear collegers:
My question is how can we as students prepare ourselves to be good translators?
What are the programs we have to learn how to use?
What are the most important courses we can participate in?
What are the useful books we have to read in this field?
How can we gain translation experience?............etc

Daniel Hill (X)
Daniel Hill (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:54
French to English
I'd like to know this too... Jan 5, 2011

I'd like to know this too, so I thought I would bump your post.

Manuel Locria
Manuel Locria  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same story Nov 3, 2012

Basically the same as Daniel! It would be great if some member of the site or an experienced translator would take the time to share some insight on recommended education and courses! Maybe even Basmalah, the creator of the post, has something to say after all these years

basmalah
basmalah
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes of course : ) Nov 5, 2012

Manuel Locria wrote:

Basically the same as Daniel! It would be great if some member of the site or an experienced translator would take the time to share some insight on recommended education and courses! Maybe even Basmalah, the creator of the post, has something to say after all these years

I'm glad to see that the topic is useful for u guys : )

well , after finishing 4 years of studying Chinese and English language in collage, i had taken a 2 years translation diploma, and now i am preparing master thesis in translation.

At the same time i am working as Chinese - English - Arabic freelancer translator.

As for how to prepare myself i believed that as long as i am learning, my language will be better, but at the same time i had had to learn how to use word fast as a cat tool in my translation work, nowadays i am studying trados too.

But guys u have to take care that what i have said is useful to improve you as a translator more than helping u to be an interpreter, i think that dealing with natives and talking and working with them is the best way that helps u to be a good interpreter

Wish u good luck : )

Joan SM (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can we as students prepare ourselves to be good translators?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »