Thread poster: Natali Lekka
Natali Lekka
Natali Lekka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:18
English to Greek
+ ...
Apr 6, 2011

Have you ever found translation work through facebook or twitter? What's your experience?

@natalilekka

guest1234 (X)
guest1234 (X)  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 20:18
French to English
+ ...
yes once Apr 6, 2011

Once, I logged in on facebook and talked to someone I knew just a little from the school days. He asked me to install all the softwares in his company

For translation, not yet through facebook. I got most of my work by referral, and that is because I tell my friends and colleagues to send some clients to me. At every family dinner, I just speak about my current projects, the price I got, how it all works. And they end
... See more
Once, I logged in on facebook and talked to someone I knew just a little from the school days. He asked me to install all the softwares in his company

For translation, not yet through facebook. I got most of my work by referral, and that is because I tell my friends and colleagues to send some clients to me. At every family dinner, I just speak about my current projects, the price I got, how it all works. And they end up giving me some contact info. Sometimes their friends names in Europe
Collapse

Aaron Kakesse
Aaron Kakesse  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:18
English to French
No Translation Work on Facebook Apr 6, 2011

I have never seen a job proposal for Translators on Facebook. You may start a group for that. After all, that's all social networking is all about.
Aaron

eyalw321
eyalw321
Israel
facebook Jul 23, 2015

I prefer facebook

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Book Jul 23, 2015

eyalw321 wrote:

I prefer facebook

I prefer book, no face.

Now seriously, no, no jobs on facebook.

[Edited at 2015-07-23 19:32 GMT]

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
Have never used Twitter Jul 24, 2015

Partly because I generally distrust new technology (I look forward to the day I can be completely cell-phone free), and partly because the country I live in half of the year blocks Twitter, I've never set up a Twitter account.

I've also never gotten work on Facebook, although I was recently given a small project by an old college basketball teammate via email.

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
#Clueless Jul 24, 2015

But I did finally figure out what a hashtag is earlier this year!

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Both! Jul 24, 2015

I'm a big fan of using social media to market myself. There are a few things that you need to keep in mind, though. First of, don't join translator groups if you're looking for work. Occasionally an agency will post something about a project, but all the piranhas attack the post almost instantly ^_^ Instead, look for groups that relate to your industries. I joined all the small business groups that I could find, all video game developer groups, and now I'm looking for web designers. You won't fi... See more
I'm a big fan of using social media to market myself. There are a few things that you need to keep in mind, though. First of, don't join translator groups if you're looking for work. Occasionally an agency will post something about a project, but all the piranhas attack the post almost instantly ^_^ Instead, look for groups that relate to your industries. I joined all the small business groups that I could find, all video game developer groups, and now I'm looking for web designers. You won't find many agency clients, but you'll find many direct ones.

Most of my larger projects are coming from YouTube, but I've made a fair amount of money from Facebook, less so from Twitter, but I'm not very active there.
Collapse

Marjorie Gouzée
Marjorie Gouzée
Belgium
Local time: 17:18
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
I found clients through FB and LK Jul 24, 2015

Hi!
I found one client through FB; another freelance who I followed and who, once, told on FB that she needed help. I helped her on that project and, since, she often sends me offer - with good price, respect and all. I am really happy of this relationship
I also found a really good client through LK, an author who asked me to translate his book after I posted a discussion on a writer/author group.
So I think soc
... See more
Hi!
I found one client through FB; another freelance who I followed and who, once, told on FB that she needed help. I helped her on that project and, since, she often sends me offer - with good price, respect and all. I am really happy of this relationship
I also found a really good client through LK, an author who asked me to translate his book after I posted a discussion on a writer/author group.
So I think social media are, today, a really effective way to attract customer. Not by applying on offers in translators groups, but by networking with people we like, other translators, other authors and so on, and finally building a true and friendly relationship that can eventually lead to projects and contracts.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I don't want to be tracked Jul 24, 2015

Six ways your tech is spying on you

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/10/six-ways-tech-spying-how-turn-off

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Way ahead Jul 24, 2015

Preston Decker wrote:

Partly because I generally distrust new technology (I look forward to the day I can be completely cell-phone free), and partly because the country I live in half of the year blocks Twitter, I've never set up a Twitter account.

I've also never gotten work on Facebook, although I was recently given a small project by an old college basketball teammate via email.

Way ahead of you there, Preston. I do own one very old mobile phone, which sits on my desk and which I never answer and never take anywhere. I need to have a mobile phone number because certain websites, e.g. airlines, request it.

I can assure you that I lead a full life, never miss jobs, and am always on time for appointments. Unfortunately my friends who use mobile phones think it entitles them to constantly change plans, reschedule meetings, etc. I don't do that. If I agree to meet you next Thursday at 7 p.m. outside a certain railway station, I'll be there. And you'd better be there too because there's no way you're going to able to change that appointment.

I am a member of the post-mobile phone generation. I am NOT always available. Which means I'm probably less neurotic and anxious than all those people I see walking along the street staring at their phone, worried they might be missing something (not noticing that they're missing everything around them).

[Edited at 2015-07-24 15:12 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 17:18
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
May I cite you? Jul 25, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

I can assure you that I lead a full life, never miss jobs, and am always on time for appointments. Unfortunately my friends who use mobile phones think it entitles them to constantly change plans, reschedule meetings, etc. I don't do that.
I am a member of the post-mobile phone generation. I am NOT always available. Which means I'm probably less neurotic and anxious than all those people I see walking along the street staring at their phone, worried they might be missing something (not noticing that they're missing everything around them).

The perfect explanation of how I feel too!
I may be completely nuts in my own way, but I do not use Facebook or Twitter, am fairly passive on LinkedIn, and my mobile phone number is one of the world's best kept secrets. I have one, but never use it.

[Edited at 2015-07-25 14:20 GMT]

Jennifer White
Jennifer White  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
@Tom and Christine Jul 25, 2015

Totally agree - but we are the minority, more's the pity. Wasn't it Jeremy Paxman who said that Twitter was for those with nothing between the ears and nothing going on in their lives? Wouldn't bother with facebook, twitter, etc. etc. and I don't feel I'm missing out on anything really.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No pity Jul 25, 2015

Jennifer White wrote:

Totally agree - but we are the minority, more's the pity.

I don't feel any pity about this. Being ahead of everyone else, naturally we're a minority.

[Edited at 2015-07-25 20:45 GMT]

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Joining Jul 27, 2015

Jennifer White wrote:

Totally agree - but we are the minority, more's the pity. Wasn't it Jeremy Paxman who said that Twitter was for those with nothing between the ears and nothing going on in their lives? Wouldn't bother with facebook, twitter, etc. etc. and I don't feel I'm missing out on anything really.

let me join this minority
I have a mobile but an old model, my friends joke it's outfashioned, I proudly say it's vintage!
Two years ago, a friend of mine convinced me to try Facebook. She told: no Facebook - no you.
Hmmm, I thought, I am in the middle of a turmoil of activities but well, let's try. Created an account for rented holiday apartments in Lisbon and used the account as a contact for the local expats community.
To this day, I don't understand what the Facebook is for.
Never had a Twitter nor intend to.
So, not buying a lottery ticket it may be unfair to lament I haven't won.
But all the insights I've seen about employing social media tell the same thing: it works but takes time. Lots of time. So I'd rather use this time for targeting direct clients.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Do you use facebook or twitter?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »