Thread poster: Luke Hubbard (X)
Luke Hubbard (X)
Luke Hubbard (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:11
German to English
Jan 17, 2019

Hi,

Does anyone have any of the Adobe products? If so what do you have and use? I think having the PDF converter will be useful and the signature. I looked at Acrobat Pro DC but not sure if I'll need all the features. Is Adobe widely used in the profession?

Thanks

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:11
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
You don't need Adobe for that Jan 17, 2019

I am not sure in which direction you are talking, but if you want to buy Adobe to convert Word or Excell files into PDF, there is a much cheaper way, namely LibreOffice. For free and will do the job.

To answer your question, I only have the free version of Adobe Reader.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:11
German to English
Inexpensive/free alternatives Jan 17, 2019

Although I regularly use an old version (9.0) of Adobe Acrobat and am happy with it, I wouldn't hesitate to try an alternative less expensive product if I were starting out.
Here is an article describing some of the alternatives:
https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/websites/web-design/alternatives-to-adobe-acrobat/

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
Local time: 11:11
German to French
+ ...
Have a look to Foxit products Jan 17, 2019

Luke Hubbard wrote:

I think having the PDF converter will be useful and the signature.

With the free Reader, you have all the Adobe's features plus a PDF Printer.

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/

Some other Foxit products are also of interest:

https://www.foxitsoftware.com

Have also a look ti the PDF Editor:

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/fr/pdf-editor/

I think you do not need something else, if necessary.

Matthias Brombach

Colleen Roach, PhD
Colleen Roach, PhD  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:11
French to English
+ ...
Adobe Products Jan 17, 2019

I have: 1) the free version that came with the Dell computer, Windows 7 OS, I bought a few years ago; and 2) an old licensed version of Adobe Professional.

As I understand it, starting a few years ago, Adobe (like some other software manufacturers) felt that a better revenue stream was possible by not selling (to individual consumers) a license outright, but instead offering consumers subscriptions (renewable for a fee, obviously).

So, on the computer I use now that pr
... See more
I have: 1) the free version that came with the Dell computer, Windows 7 OS, I bought a few years ago; and 2) an old licensed version of Adobe Professional.

As I understand it, starting a few years ago, Adobe (like some other software manufacturers) felt that a better revenue stream was possible by not selling (to individual consumers) a license outright, but instead offering consumers subscriptions (renewable for a fee, obviously).

So, on the computer I use now that provides Internet access, all I can really do with the free version is convert Word docs to PDF files, and then send these as attachments to emails. On an older computer I have with the old version of Adobe Professional (licensed), the main feature I use is the "merge files" feature. So, I can take two or more Adobe (or Word) files and then merge them into 1 Adobe file. For me, this is useful. However as this computer runs on XP, it does not have access to the Internet. So, what I end up doing (a cumbersome process for sure) is transferring files back and forth between the two computers.

I do believe, though, that if I were able to find my license (bought and paid for a number of years ago) for my older Adobe Professional that I have on the old computer, I could transfer this to the computer I use now. In other words, if you bought a license outright (way back when...) it is still valid (although it may be restricted to just 1 computer, depending on the terms of the license) even though Adobe now may not provide such licenses to individual consumers. (With institutional purchases of Adobe products, I'm sure it's another story).

Don't know if that helps. For documents that are primarily just text, a lot of places (at least in the US) still want Adobe documents. And also: there may be different regulations regarding software licenses,depending on where you live.
Collapse

Luke Hubbard (X)

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 18:11
Chinese to English
+ ...
Just creating PDF files? Jan 17, 2019

Any modern windows PC will print just about anything to PDF.

Converting PDF to different formats - now that's a different animal and you might not have a choice. But Adobe PDF Reader does PDF signatures just fine.

Jorge Payan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:11
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Rip off Jan 17, 2019

Luke Hubbard wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have any of the Adobe products? If so what do you have and use? I think having the PDF converter will be useful and the signature. I looked at Acrobat Pro DC but not sure if I'll need all the features. Is Adobe widely used in the profession?

Thanks

I once had a conversation with a former Adobe employee who said they have a policy of disabling their products as a way of forcing people to pay for upgrades.

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Hedwig Spitzer (X)  Identity Verified
Peru
French to Spanish
+ ...
Try Abbyy FineReader & OCR Jan 18, 2019

It is great, easy to use and affordable! Moreover, it does not slow down the computer (as opposed to Adobe products).
Cheers!

Jorge Payan
Tom in London
Nadja Balogh
Luke Hubbard (X)

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
overpriced standards Jan 18, 2019

First, when I get a PDF file for translating, I always ask for an editable version--or charge extra. It works)

Many colleagues prefer FoxIT (Reader or PhantomPDF), yet since installing a free multi-format STDUViewer (which can export pages as text* and images) I had forgotten about Acrobat.

While many CATs can export PDF, for full-fledged digitizing I prefer FineReader--or a free WordFast Anywhere (FreeTM.com) for simple files,
... See more
First, when I get a PDF file for translating, I always ask for an editable version--or charge extra. It works)

Many colleagues prefer FoxIT (Reader or PhantomPDF), yet since installing a free multi-format STDUViewer (which can export pages as text* and images) I had forgotten about Acrobat.

While many CATs can export PDF, for full-fledged digitizing I prefer FineReader--or a free WordFast Anywhere (FreeTM.com) for simple files, if it's not about the NDA
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:11
German to English
+ ...
conversion to Word subscription Jan 18, 2019

I took out the subscription and renewed it this year. Useful. I like that I can select the language so that Umlauts etc. remain intact.

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:11
English to Latvian
Try PDF-XChange Viewer Jan 18, 2019

If you are looking for an alternative to Adobe Acrobat, I can recommend the free version of PDF-XChange Viewer:
https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

It offers a lot more features and options than the free Adobe Reader version - it is kind of a semi-pro software if you ask me, and I believe it is more than enough for us, freelance transl
... See more
If you are looking for an alternative to Adobe Acrobat, I can recommend the free version of PDF-XChange Viewer:
https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

It offers a lot more features and options than the free Adobe Reader version - it is kind of a semi-pro software if you ask me, and I believe it is more than enough for us, freelance translators.

If you however want to use the whole package of features, the paid version PDF-XChange Editor or Editor Plus is still quite cheap compared to Adobe Acrobat. You can download it here:
https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor

But I recommend checking the free version first.

Edited: Oops, I didn't realise they discontinued the Viewer version. So I guess you can download the Editor version and use it either as a free version or as a paid version. I still have the Viewer version installed on my computer, it's time to upgrade.

[Edited at 2019-01-18 12:42 GMT]
Collapse

Manuel Bas y Mansilla
Manuel Bas y Mansilla  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Spanish
Not for PDFs Jan 19, 2019

Like it's been said before, there are many free, excellent Acrobat Reader alternatives.

Where it becomes less clear, it's in regard to DTP. While there are alternatives (Scribus), InDesign seems to be the industry-wide standard. I suppose I ought to learn how to use Scribus but it's something I always postpone.

Adobe Digital Editions is necessary if you want to "borrow" from a digital library.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe products?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »