Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
May 25, 2016

I'm looking for a replacement of my 5 years old HP Probook with 500 Gb SSD drive. I almost accepted already a Lenovo ideapad 700 with 256 Gb SSD for 999 Euro, when I noticed the battery lasts only 4 hours. Which means it lasts only 2 hours in real work.
Perhaps some of you have experience with laptops and long lasting batteries. The machine should have numerical keyboard, so smaller screens than 15 inch seem to be out of the question. Any ideas?

Ungovernable
Ungovernable
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 22:01
English to Arabic
Here you go May 25, 2016

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/all-day-strong-longest-lasting-notebooks

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 02:01
Chinese to English
+ ...
Numpad? May 25, 2016

You might be out of luck there, because anything that big with a numpad is usually considered a desktop replacement laptop, which means that battery is rarely a concern.

There are many things more important than a numpad. You're much better off buying a decent laptop, then add a few bucks for an external numpad.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That would be too easy May 25, 2016

Lincoln Hui wrote:

You might be out of luck there, because anything that big with a numpad is usually considered a desktop replacement laptop, which means that battery is rarely a concern.

There are many things more important than a numpad. You're much better off buying a decent laptop, then add a few bucks for an external numpad.

Without a numpad I would not have to ask, but it is essential for me, and I will not carry an extension. It will be my only machine, which will have to last normal working sessions on the cottage where there is no electricity.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 19:01
3 candidates May 25, 2016

Acer Travelmate P257-M
Lenovo Z51-70
Medion Akoya E6415

Laufzeit Video / 3D (max. Helligkeit)
5,2 h (7,2 W) / 1,8 h (21,2 W)
4,2 h (7,8 W) / 1,5 h (21,7 W)
4,2 h (8,9 W) / 1,5 h (25,8 W)

I'll send you a PDF with the full test via private mail.<
... See more
Acer Travelmate P257-M
Lenovo Z51-70
Medion Akoya E6415

Laufzeit Video / 3D (max. Helligkeit)
5,2 h (7,2 W) / 1,8 h (21,2 W)
4,2 h (7,8 W) / 1,5 h (21,7 W)
4,2 h (8,9 W) / 1,5 h (25,8 W)

I'll send you a PDF with the full test via private mail.

Source: http://www.heise.de/ct/ausgabe/2015-24-Test-15-Zoll-Notebooks-mit-guter-Ausstattung-2854021.html

They have a huge test laboratory and their tests are very thorough.

[Edited at 2016-05-25 07:13 GMT]
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
The Lenovo May 25, 2016

One review I read says that it has 7.5 hours on light usage, another says 6 hours on WiFi surfing and 10 hours idle, so I'm not sure where your figures are from. That's probably as good as it's going to get.

Two other options you can look at are the Acer Predator 15 (7.5 hours light use - 11 hours idle. Probably 10% more battery time than the Lenovo) and the HP Envy 15-ae020ng (6 hours light use, 12.5 hours idle). That's still around the same battery life as the Lenovo.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Searching on the net again May 25, 2016

I found Fujitsu Lifebook series, which promise even 11 hours battery performance. Believe it or not?
FUJITSU LIFEBOOK E554

Those ssd-laptops are still overpriced, compared to those with HDD and the cost of replacing it with SSD.

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Battery times May 25, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I found Fujitsu Lifebook series, which promise even 11 hours battery performance. Believe it or not?
FUJITSU LIFEBOOK E554

Under legitimate use, probably 6 hours, which is probably top of the range in its class.

The thing is, you have to be reading reviews from the same source. Different sources test battery life differently and you're going to get different figures.

[Edited at 2016-05-25 07:08 GMT]

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:01
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Sheet battery? May 25, 2016

Do any that you are looking at come with an optional sheet battery/external battery? When I will be away from electricity sources for long periods (even as that is harder to do these days, when you can get an inverter for the car and many long-haul flights have power sockets in the seats), I use with one with my well-worn 2012-vintage Sony Vaio Z-series and still get 10-12 hours of light use and 6-7 hours of heavy use with the extra better (about double what I get without the sheet battery).

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Lenovo E550/560 May 25, 2016

Hi Heinrich,
Have you had a look at the Lenovo E550/560?
That's probably what I'll be replacing my old Probook with. Supposed to have a great keyboard, keypad on the 15 inch models, matte screen, i5 with normal res screen for about €700, i7 with high res screen for about 1 thou.
I think the 560 has just been launched so there might be some 550s around for sale prices.
I'll probably get a 500GB hybrid drive as 256 SSD sounds a bit small and it doesn't look like there's
... See more
Hi Heinrich,
Have you had a look at the Lenovo E550/560?
That's probably what I'll be replacing my old Probook with. Supposed to have a great keyboard, keypad on the 15 inch models, matte screen, i5 with normal res screen for about €700, i7 with high res screen for about 1 thou.
I think the 560 has just been launched so there might be some 550s around for sale prices.
I'll probably get a 500GB hybrid drive as 256 SSD sounds a bit small and it doesn't look like there's much difference in performance. Don't think we need i7 really for translating and if you get a 4Gb RAM just stick another 4GB in.
Supposed to give you about 9 hrs battery life - 45W output is quite a bit less than the probook. Mine came with a 90W power adapter but will run on a 65W one too.
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
2 batteries? May 25, 2016

There are some higher end laptops with 2 batteries like the Lenovo Thinkpad T560/550, the HP EliteBook 800-series. The Thinkpad 550 was getting some bad reviews and it's pretty expensive. Dunno about the Elitebook but if your budget can stretch to it and battery life is really important maybe 2 batteries is the way to go. The Thinkpad doesn't have a CD drive to make space for the second battery, which is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Why? May 25, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Without a numpad I would not have to ask, but it is essential for me, and I will not carry an extension. It will be my only machine, which will have to last normal working sessions on the cottage where there is no electricity.

IMO that's the wrong approach. Buy a normal laptop (13" or so with a numpadless keyboard) and buy a USB keyboard and mouse that you'll leave at the cottage. As an added bonus, you can place the laptop a little higher for a decent monitor height (at last, a good use for all those old dead tree dictionaries). If you don't cheap out, you can also get a better keyboard than the one in the laptop.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I ordered Fujitsu May 26, 2016

So I'm back to my first laptop mark, after twice having 17 inch HPs, which served me well. But I couldn't resist this offer:
https://www.cyberport.de/?DEEP=1C14-87M&APID=6

The screen resolution is not top notch, but sufficient for my eyes. In normal office use I have only Eurotranslator on the laptop screen, all the rest on my main monitor. We'll see how the battery behav
... See more
So I'm back to my first laptop mark, after twice having 17 inch HPs, which served me well. But I couldn't resist this offer:
https://www.cyberport.de/?DEEP=1C14-87M&APID=6

The screen resolution is not top notch, but sufficient for my eyes. In normal office use I have only Eurotranslator on the laptop screen, all the rest on my main monitor. We'll see how the battery behaves. Perhaps I can buy a larger battery like I did with my HP.
Fujitsu seems the only one who does not overprice SSD-machines.
Collapse

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:01
English to German
Or just a second battery May 26, 2016

for the machine you ordered, which you can take with you and replace when the first one is running low?

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
For the record May 27, 2016

This no longer matters here, since he's made his choice, but for the record: the MacBook Air has an enormous working life, something on the order of 12 hours. I think that's not just best-in-class, but pretty much best in industry for a truly portable machine. If battery life is the sole major factor, then it's a feasible solution.

(Remember: modern Macs can run Windows natively as well using Boot Camp.)

[Edited at 2016-05-27 10:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching new laptop with long lasting battery

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »