Thread poster: ejennin
ejennin
ejennin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:29
German to English
Nov 9, 2015

Hello all,

I'm not quiet sure which forum is the best place for this question, but this one seems like it might do the trick.

I'm looking for a new shredder, as my current one cannot handle the number of pages that I currently print out on a daily basis. It tends to make nasty explosion noises and stop working after shredding about 10 pages in a row – bad news if I'm proofreading a document with 40+ pages! – and I have to remove bits of paper from the blades after
... See more
Hello all,

I'm not quiet sure which forum is the best place for this question, but this one seems like it might do the trick.

I'm looking for a new shredder, as my current one cannot handle the number of pages that I currently print out on a daily basis. It tends to make nasty explosion noises and stop working after shredding about 10 pages in a row – bad news if I'm proofreading a document with 40+ pages! – and I have to remove bits of paper from the blades after every 4 pages or so to stop it from jamming up. I think it's only really meant for domestic use, so I need something that's more suited to an office.

The problem is that I have very limited space for it, so I can't buy a huge machine. Can anyone recommend a reasonably-sized document shredder that can handle a heavy daily workload?

Thanks!
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:29
German to English
+ ...
the one I got recently Nov 10, 2015

I bought the Staples Professional Series and am very pleased with it.
http://www.quill.com/staples-micro-cut-shredders-professional-series-16-sheet/cbs/345949.html
This is the video th
... See more
I bought the Staples Professional Series and am very pleased with it.
http://www.quill.com/staples-micro-cut-shredders-professional-series-16-sheet/cbs/345949.html
This is the video that I watched before buying it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFmToXummrw
When I looked at reviews, a lot of the cheaper shredders jammed, or wouldn't take much paper, or you ended up having debris on the floor and falling out the back. This has none of those problems.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 11:59
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Have you considered going paperless? Nov 10, 2015

Paper shredder seems so dinosaurish in these days of electronics. By going paperless, you can avoid the need of a paper shredder altogether.

Maxi Schwarz
German to English
+ ...
Answering Balasubramaniam Nov 10, 2015

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Paper shredder seems so dinosaurish in these days of electronics. By going paperless, you can avoid the need of a paper shredder altogether.

First of all, I produce certified translations that must bear my stamp and signature. Electronic copies - even scans - will not be accepted by officials.

Beyond this, for a while I tried to go as paperless as possible. I found that for various reasons it was not as efficient. Instead, I went with *less* paper than before, but I reincorporated paper for some of my processes. It is wrong to do things simply because they are "modern". Choices should be made according to what works best for the individual and the circumstance.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:29
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Staples! Nov 10, 2015

Definitely Staples offers good value. I have run my Staples machine for hundreds of pages in a row and it worked beautifully. Now, try to choose a model that has a stress indicator (the kind that turns red when you are loading too many pages) and overheating protection if you live in a hot country. This way you will be sure that you are not abusing the machine.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:29
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I felt the clock is reversed back to many years ago when I saw this topic Nov 11, 2015

I cannot believe people print a lot of documents these days. A pack of letter sized paper can last 1 year or 2 in a home office.

I have always been thinking that paper shredder is a useless human invention. Not only that, it cost time and energy, for nothing in return.

In the places I worked before becoming a freelancer there are many paper shredders but I rarely felt a need to use them.

Maybe someone would think something is missing in the office
... See more
I cannot believe people print a lot of documents these days. A pack of letter sized paper can last 1 year or 2 in a home office.

I have always been thinking that paper shredder is a useless human invention. Not only that, it cost time and energy, for nothing in return.

In the places I worked before becoming a freelancer there are many paper shredders but I rarely felt a need to use them.

Maybe someone would think something is missing in the office if a paper shredder is not available.

[Edited at 2015-11-11 00:54 GMT]
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
German to English
+ ...
or maybe Nov 11, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:

Maybe someone would think something is missing in the office if a paper shredder is not available.

[Edited at 2015-11-11 00:54 GMT]

... someone is using what you don't use because their work is different than your work, and it is a useful tool for them.

My inbox has three sets of hard copy translations in it this morning. All are certified, bearing my signature and stamp, and dated. Two will be mailed, and one is being picked up. So yes, I use paper.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Too cool Nov 11, 2015

Not in my world. Here in London I receive letters, bills, bank statements, invoices etc all with my name and address on them, as well as other sensitive information. I have to shred them. Also, once a year I need to shred a previous year's accounting documentation (which has not gone paperless in the UK nor can I see how that would be possible).

And hey -shredding is FUN !

Identity theft is a big problem here. I can't just throw away paper documents. Someone might find them and use my name and address for nefarious purposes.

My shredder is cheap and very robust so long as it's oiled once a month. It cross-cuts paper and splits it into tiny shards. It also shreds credit cards and staples too! Recommended if it's available where you are. Here it is:

http://tinyurl.com/pqcucuz

If you work this machine too hard it becomes hot and cuts out. Wait for 5 minutes and start again !

[Edited at 2015-11-11 13:01 GMT]

ejennin
ejennin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Replies to everyone so far Nov 11, 2015

Staples seems to be a winner, I'll check them out for sure!

As for the paperless folks: I use paper to proofread translations by printing them out and looking at the source and target texts side-by-side. I find it enables me to catch errors that I might miss on a screen, and I can concentrate better when I'm looking at something other than a screen. If anyone knows of a paperless proofreading method with equally good results, I'm all ears…

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 11:59
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Here is one Nov 16, 2015

ejennin wrote:
If anyone knows of a paperless proofreading method with equally good results, I'm all ears…

Get a larger computer screen on which you can open the two documents side by side and visually compare. It is actually faster than comparing two paper versions.

Another option is to connect two screens to your computer to increase your screen real-estate.

Maxi Schwarz
German to English
+ ...
answering Nov 16, 2015

ejennin wrote:
If anyone knows of a paperless proofreading method with equally good results, I'm all ears…

Get a larger computer screen on which you can open the two documents side by side and visually compare. It is actually faster than comparing two paper versions.

Another option is to connect two screens to your computer to increase your screen real-estate.

I have two monitors, so real-estate is not a problem. I am not an extension of a computer system. I'm a human being. I like to hold a hard copy in my hand, walk back and forth, and read out loud what I wrote when checking for "native sound". The eyes easily skip things when you're reading back and forth on a monitor, or even from paper. I like to lie down with the original and the translation side by side, and trace lines, and mark things up with different colours as needed. All this depends on the nature of the translation ofc. The walking, the lying down, the physical sensation of a pencil in my hand, the feel of the paper - as a human being needing to move and change position, benefiting from the sense of touch - these things are refreshing, and depending on the nature of the translation, can affect accuracy. That is why I partially reversed the "paperless" path I was on.

Being able to compare two documents side by side by having enough monitor real estate has not proven to be better in all cases. In some, yes. If considering all things, it is not necessarily "faster".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good document shredder for a home office

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »