Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:51
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 30, 2015

Dear all

I've been using SDL CAT tools since I started working as a freelance translator, now 13 years ago. Despite some software problems I like using Studio 2014 (not sure about upgrading to 2015 though...), but more and more clients ask me if I use MemoQ.
Is MemoQ the new tool to use? And if so, why and should I offer using MemoQ as well? (Perhaps I am bit ignorant, but I thought all files can be processed by both tools and the tools are compatible?)

Looking fo
... See more
Dear all

I've been using SDL CAT tools since I started working as a freelance translator, now 13 years ago. Despite some software problems I like using Studio 2014 (not sure about upgrading to 2015 though...), but more and more clients ask me if I use MemoQ.
Is MemoQ the new tool to use? And if so, why and should I offer using MemoQ as well? (Perhaps I am bit ignorant, but I thought all files can be processed by both tools and the tools are compatible?)

Looking forward to your comments
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:51
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
... Jul 30, 2015

much smaller price
full support of SDLXLIFF as own format
some features appear in mQ first

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Romanian to English
+ ...
MemoQ Jul 30, 2015

I use MemoQ 2013 R2, and I am thrilled about it. It's easy to use once you know it (the tutorial was really helpful). And most importantly, it never crashed since I've been using it, which is for more than a year (about 4000 pages!). It has a nice and clean interface, great termbase feature, a very practical alignment tool, and practically every function I can think of in a translation job. Generally, it just fully helps me and lets me do my job without bothering me with any unintelligible error... See more
I use MemoQ 2013 R2, and I am thrilled about it. It's easy to use once you know it (the tutorial was really helpful). And most importantly, it never crashed since I've been using it, which is for more than a year (about 4000 pages!). It has a nice and clean interface, great termbase feature, a very practical alignment tool, and practically every function I can think of in a translation job. Generally, it just fully helps me and lets me do my job without bothering me with any unintelligible error messages.

It is also compatible with Studio projects - I have been working successfully with clients who use Studio and send me the studio package file and never had any problem with creating the return package for them.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I personally would stay with Studio Jul 31, 2015

I looked into MemoQ a couple of versions back, and I understand why people like it.

I too have always used Trados, and I have actually started using Studio 2015. For me the transition was entirely painless once I found out how to activate the license, and the AutoCorrect is great - for me the only real difference from 2014.

As Sergei Leschinsky points out, MemoQ does seem to introduce some features first, and I have been missing the Autocorrect since we lost it with Wor
... See more
I looked into MemoQ a couple of versions back, and I understand why people like it.

I too have always used Trados, and I have actually started using Studio 2015. For me the transition was entirely painless once I found out how to activate the license, and the AutoCorrect is great - for me the only real difference from 2014.

As Sergei Leschinsky points out, MemoQ does seem to introduce some features first, and I have been missing the Autocorrect since we lost it with Workbench.
However, ask yourself how much you actually need the other features, and do they outweigh the inconvenience of changing over? It depends on your workflow, but a lot of the additional features are probably never used by many translators. (That applies both to Studio and MemoQ.)

Multiterm is a reason why I stay with Studio. Once I have built up a termbase, I dislike working without it. It does work as a stand-alone, but I believe not as a feed for AutoSuggest and inserting placeables except with Studio. That is the whole point of it as far as I am concerned, so I would have to duplicate all my additions to the glossary of another system...

As MemoQ and Studio are supposed to be compatible, you should be able to deliver sdlxliff files and formats that would work just as easily in clients' MemoQ systems.

I have got to an age where I personally would not run two systems. I decide which tools I use, and adjust formats accordingly.

I have always managed to keep clients happy with the output from Trados or Studio, and sent them .tmx or bilingual files if requested, otherwise simply clean files.

[Edited at 2015-07-31 11:14 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Six of one, half a dozen of the other Jul 31, 2015

Studio and memoQ share the same essential features. Using both isn't good for your productivity (you have to keep updating TMs, remember different workflows, shortcuts, etc.)

It's useful to be familiar with both because you may be sent an on-line project to do with either tool, although agencies usually provide licenses for these projects on a temporary basis.

I've just updated my side-by-side comparison of memoQ and Studio, with the new features introduced this year in
... See more
Studio and memoQ share the same essential features. Using both isn't good for your productivity (you have to keep updating TMs, remember different workflows, shortcuts, etc.)

It's useful to be familiar with both because you may be sent an on-line project to do with either tool, although agencies usually provide licenses for these projects on a temporary basis.

I've just updated my side-by-side comparison of memoQ and Studio, with the new features introduced this year in both tools. Hope it's helpful:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/08/08/memoq/
Collapse

TalTranslations
TalTranslations
United Kingdom
English to Hebrew
MQ crashes Jul 31, 2015

Annamaria Amik wrote:
I use MemoQ 2013 R2, ..., it never crashed since I've been using it,

I used MemoQ 2014 and it crashed at least once a day, even with simple short files and small TMs. So no MQ for me.

If you already use Studio I don't see any reason to buy MemoQ, since most files are compatible.
And I think the AutoSuggest feature of Studio is much better than Memoq.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
DVX Jul 31, 2015

I know I am not responding OP's question, but for me it's neither Studio nor MQ. The answer is Déjà Vu. Had it not exist, I would go with MQ, even though I have a Studio 2014 license (and use it only for Studio packages).

The reason is that Déjà Vu has all I need and I do not have to start different applications. Studio is now offering AutoSuggest "for free". Sure, but DVX already has it. Moreover, I can create glossary (called "Lexicon) for every project I translate and then se
... See more
I know I am not responding OP's question, but for me it's neither Studio nor MQ. The answer is Déjà Vu. Had it not exist, I would go with MQ, even though I have a Studio 2014 license (and use it only for Studio packages).

The reason is that Déjà Vu has all I need and I do not have to start different applications. Studio is now offering AutoSuggest "for free". Sure, but DVX already has it. Moreover, I can create glossary (called "Lexicon) for every project I translate and then send it to Termbase, if proper.

Ah, and total cost of ownership for DVX is about one fourth of what you pay for Studio (DVX support is free, so long you always use the current version, and they launch new versions every three year or so).
Collapse

Alexander Somin
Alexander Somin
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Servers and other issues Jul 31, 2015

Studio and memoQ connect to different servers, this is one of the main reasons your client may want you to use a specific tool.
Another big issue: MT. SDL has its MT wich connects to Studio only, contains trained engines (paid) and tools to train an own engine for LSPs and companies.
One of the convenient features of Studio is the predictive typing using MT of your choice, including the SDL MT.
In one word, server may be more important than a file format. And these servers are
... See more
Studio and memoQ connect to different servers, this is one of the main reasons your client may want you to use a specific tool.
Another big issue: MT. SDL has its MT wich connects to Studio only, contains trained engines (paid) and tools to train an own engine for LSPs and companies.
One of the convenient features of Studio is the predictive typing using MT of your choice, including the SDL MT.
In one word, server may be more important than a file format. And these servers are incompatible, so to expand you client base you may need to have them both in your disposal.
All these depends on your clients.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ and Studio 2014?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »