Jennifer Sheridan
Jennifer Sheridan  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:17
Italian to French
+ ...
Jul 9, 2015

Hi,

At the moment I am using a MacBook Pro to work on my translations but as many softwares don't work on Mac and run quite slow with Parallel, I was wondering if it wouldn't be wiser to go for a PC.

I've seen this topic has already been posted but I believe it was about 8 years ago so things might have changed.

Now, if i have to buy a new computer, what do you believe would be the best option? A laptop with a screen and a keyboard or something else?
... See more
Hi,

At the moment I am using a MacBook Pro to work on my translations but as many softwares don't work on Mac and run quite slow with Parallel, I was wondering if it wouldn't be wiser to go for a PC.

I've seen this topic has already been posted but I believe it was about 8 years ago so things might have changed.

Now, if i have to buy a new computer, what do you believe would be the best option? A laptop with a screen and a keyboard or something else?

I travel a lot so I must say I need to keep a laptop but I also feel I need a confortable position when I work home.

What would you advise?

And last question: which version of Windows would you use? At the moment I have Windows 7 but I am beginning to get problems with new softwares that need more recent versions of Windows...

Thanks!
Collapse

Mariano Saab
Mariano Saab
Argentina
Local time: 10:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Desktop PC + Laptop Jul 9, 2015

Hi,

I recentely bought a new desktop PC but I had it customized at a local store which turned out to be cheaper than buying a laptop with half the features. I've never used a Mac in my life so I can't comment on that. I do have an old laptop that I keep whenever I have to travel. If most of the work you do is at home, I'd recommend you go for a desktop PC with Windows 8.1 (my laptop with Windows 7 was beginning to have some issues with newer programs). But do keep that laptop if you
... See more
Hi,

I recentely bought a new desktop PC but I had it customized at a local store which turned out to be cheaper than buying a laptop with half the features. I've never used a Mac in my life so I can't comment on that. I do have an old laptop that I keep whenever I have to travel. If most of the work you do is at home, I'd recommend you go for a desktop PC with Windows 8.1 (my laptop with Windows 7 was beginning to have some issues with newer programs). But do keep that laptop if you can for emergencies or travelling reasons.

Hope it helps.
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:17
English to French
+ ...
best money can buy Jul 9, 2015

This will be a production machine. You need the best.

Intel i7 quad-core, or AMD equivalent
AT LEAST 16 GB of RAM.
At least 1 TB HDD.

If you buy a laptop, find a compromise between screen size and weight. Check the keyboard (some have better ergonomics than others), check also the display for text readability. You may want to invest in a good keyboard, such as MS Natural Ergonomic keyboard, or ergonomic offerings from Logitech. You may also want to buy a doc
... See more
This will be a production machine. You need the best.

Intel i7 quad-core, or AMD equivalent
AT LEAST 16 GB of RAM.
At least 1 TB HDD.

If you buy a laptop, find a compromise between screen size and weight. Check the keyboard (some have better ergonomics than others), check also the display for text readability. You may want to invest in a good keyboard, such as MS Natural Ergonomic keyboard, or ergonomic offerings from Logitech. You may also want to buy a docking station and a larger screen for home.

In terms of Windows version, current is 8.1, but all users are getting a free upgrade to Windows 10 at the end of this month. Still, I would wait (next month, presumably) until new systems with Windows 10 are available.

Oh, and buy a reliable brand. I don't want to name names in a public forum, but there are brands I won't buy. Been there, done that.
Collapse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Strange Jul 9, 2015

Jennifer Sheridan wrote:

At the moment I have Windows 7 but I am beginning to get problems with new softwares that need more recent versions of Windows...

I'm wondering which "new" softwares are causing problems with Win 7?

In the next weeks, you will have Win 10. Just wait if useful.

With regards

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Laptop Jul 9, 2015

There are some brands of laptops to be avoided at all cost. Others are very good.

Screen size 17”, in case I have to work out of my home office. At home, 32” TV as a screen. A separate Spanish keyboard. Mouse. Windows 8.1, I think (who cares).

Small laptops are useless. Desktop you cannot take it with you if you are temporarily “evicted” from you home office, due to travel, cleaning, you name it.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
CafeTran on a Mac Jul 9, 2015

Jennifer Sheridan wrote:

Hi,

I travel a lot so I must say I need to keep a laptop but I also feel I need a confortable position

CafeTran on a MacBook is superb. You can connect a Thunderbolt Display in the SOHO. Process SDL and memoQ projects.

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/mac

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:47
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OneDrive, for one Jul 9, 2015

Adrien Esparron wrote:
I'm wondering which "new" softwares are causing problems with Win 7?

I have Windows 7 on my desktop and Windows 8.1 on my laptop and am facing endless problems with OneDrive on both of them. They seem to be different and don't synchronize properly. In the end, I have had to abandon OneDrive and adopt GoogleDrive instead.

brg (X)
brg (X)
Netherlands
Laptop Jul 9, 2015

A laptop with a complete keyboard (with a numeric keyboard at the right side).
Try the keyboard at the computer shop (some are better than others).
Each well-known brand will do, but at least 3 USB slots and a HDMI connexion.
Buy a supplementary mouse, keyboard and 18-20" screen with a HDMI connexion.
No need for lots of memory, even if you work with Studio.
Windows 8. Do not invest in Win 10 until the users tested the UI thoroughfully (six months or so).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:17
Member (2008)
Italian to English
RAM Jul 9, 2015

Jennifer Sheridan wrote:

run quite slow with Parallel

Maybe you just need more RAM in your MacBookPro. To run Parallels, you'll need to have the maximum amount of RAM that your computer can take.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:17
Finnish to French
What programmes? Jul 10, 2015

Jennifer Sheridan wrote:
And last question: which version of Windows would you use? At the moment I have Windows 7 but I am beginning to get problems with new softwares that need more recent versions of Windows...

Just curious: what are these programmes that wouldn't work with Windows 7?

FWIW, I renewed my working computer a couple of months ago (replacing a 5-year old Lenovo ThinkPad X301 with a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon) and I chose to install Windows 7 on the new one. I'm quite confident it will be able to run everything I need for the next five years.

Jennifer Sheridan
Jennifer Sheridan  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Across Jul 10, 2015

Thank you all for your very interesting answers. I still haven't made my mind but I feel better to see many of you are using a mac without problems.

I think I will definitely buy a good keyboard and a screen to use at home but I don't know if keeping my MacBook a little more.

About Windows 7, I don't remember if there are programs that I didn't manage to run at all but I've had quite a lot of problems installing Across and I am seeing newer programs need every time more
... See more
Thank you all for your very interesting answers. I still haven't made my mind but I feel better to see many of you are using a mac without problems.

I think I will definitely buy a good keyboard and a screen to use at home but I don't know if keeping my MacBook a little more.

About Windows 7, I don't remember if there are programs that I didn't manage to run at all but I've had quite a lot of problems installing Across and I am seeing newer programs need every time more recent versions of Windows.
Collapse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Across problem, nothing else Jul 10, 2015

Jennifer Sheridan wrote:

About Windows 7, I don't remember if there are programs that I didn't manage to run at all but I've had quite a lot of problems installing Across and I am seeing newer programs need every time more recent versions of Windows.

No surprise with Across, but it's not a Windows problem.

And I'm always wondering what are these "newer programs"...

Laura Garcia Mesa
Laura Garcia Mesa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Similar dilemma Aug 9, 2015

Similar dilemma
Hi all! Thanks Jennifer for bringing up the topic!
I also need to get a new computer; I always work on laptops, but using separate keyboard and screen while working at the office. As regards brands, for the past 8 years Acer and Dell have been working pretty well with windows and the different software I use,… however, out of pure curiosity, I would like to change to a Macbook, but I am no computer expert, and I am afraid of changing and then that it takes me too l
... See more
Similar dilemma
Hi all! Thanks Jennifer for bringing up the topic!
I also need to get a new computer; I always work on laptops, but using separate keyboard and screen while working at the office. As regards brands, for the past 8 years Acer and Dell have been working pretty well with windows and the different software I use,… however, out of pure curiosity, I would like to change to a Macbook, but I am no computer expert, and I am afraid of changing and then that it takes me too long to adjust to the new OS, installing programs etc…
I share my options with you, in case you have any other suggestions/ recommendations

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air?product=MJVE2LL/A&step=config#

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-travelmate-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-black/7579228.p?id=1219278233064&skuId=7579228

It would also be important for me to know which brands you wouldn´t go for...
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
On brands Aug 9, 2015

This is from Brazil, however nowadays most brands are global.

My elder son is an IT professional, works at a large multinational auto parts manufacturer, previously he worked for other companies, including electronics-but-not-computers ones. His must-brand of all times was Dell, he probably ordered and implemented a few thousand of these, yet he says that Lenovo has recently risen to the first place, so he changed his vote on specs.

My wife has had an Acer netbook with
... See more
This is from Brazil, however nowadays most brands are global.

My elder son is an IT professional, works at a large multinational auto parts manufacturer, previously he worked for other companies, including electronics-but-not-computers ones. His must-brand of all times was Dell, he probably ordered and implemented a few thousand of these, yet he says that Lenovo has recently risen to the first place, so he changed his vote on specs.

My wife has had an Acer netbook with Windows XP for some 4 years, no problem, ever. Last year I bought her a 16\" Acer notebook with Windows 8.1. Had some minor hardware problem, and Acer showed me how far ill-willed policies can go to provide really awful customer service under warranty. I eventually fixed the problem myself with pliers and a paper clip, instead of waiting at least one month (so they told me) to have them repair it.

My daughter has a newer Dell desktop, which also came with Windows 8.1. I have noticed that Dell\'s OEM tweaks to Windows 8.1 are much, much better than Acer\'s.

(Curious about what computer I use? A desktop that I\'ll have assembled myself, on which I do partial upgrades as needed. I keep it open, a power screwdriver within easy reach, plenty of spare parts available from previous upgrades. I\'m always ready for a quick fix, if needed, though this rarely happens. Best way to circumvent Murphy\'s Law is to be prepared for the worst.)
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:17
Finnish to French
Across & Windows 7 Sep 5, 2015

Jennifer Sheridan wrote:

FWIW, the latest version of Across (6.0.64983) installed just fine on my Windows 7 laptop. According to the systems requirements, Windows 7 SP1 is supported.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best computer and Windows version for translators

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »