Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Buying a big computer screen (more than 30 inch) for CAT applications and ordinary translation work?
Thread poster: Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:40
German to Spanish
What?? Jul 16, 2013

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

this is why you are not even supposed to have them in your badroom, and watch movies on very large screens before going to sleep.

There is not HD screen big enough to see a good movie.

Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Maria S. Loose, LL.M.  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody for your help Jul 16, 2013

And thanks Samuel for this nice little video. (To ProZ.com staff: pleate don't delete the video link. It's nice to have a lough with your colleagues and I do not think it is insulting, it is just funny)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrHycVgBUi0

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:40
German to English
No screen real estate lost Jul 16, 2013

Max Deryagin wrote:

(snip)
Why not use an email checker (Checker Plus for Gmail, for example) instead of wasting your screen space like that? Email checkers notify you of new mails immediately, so that you don't have to check your mailbox 100 times a day and worry about new unread mails.

My e-mail client sits behind the window of the CAT tool, with only the filtered IN folders showing, taking up a narrow strip perhaps 4 cm wide of a 24-inch screen. Since I use filters, I can see whether a client has contacted me, and ignore the rest until I take a break.

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 06:40
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
My two cents Jul 16, 2013

I have a Dell laptop and decided to get a docking station. Attached to that are a keyboard and mouse and two identical 23-inch Dell screens (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=320-2807).

These have a great resolution and are perfect for me, given the distance they are placed at on my desk (the distanc
... See more
I have a Dell laptop and decided to get a docking station. Attached to that are a keyboard and mouse and two identical 23-inch Dell screens (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=320-2807).

These have a great resolution and are perfect for me, given the distance they are placed at on my desk (the distance between the screen and my eyes, I mean). I actually tried that out with two pieces of cardboard, to make sure I wouldn't have to "watch tennis" while working - which happens if your screens are too big and/or too close.

They can be pivoted and adjusted, and allow me to see what I need to see without having to move my head too much or having to re-focus my eyes all the time.

I also don't think having two screens is a lot more expensive than having a good very large screen. The monitor I have linked to costs about 200 euro a piece. The docking station was about 150 euro. That's all not cheap, but it has greatly enhanced my productivity and comfort compared to just working on a laptop or a small-screen computer.
Collapse

wilhelm_zwo (X)
wilhelm_zwo (X)
Netherlands
German to Dutch
1 screen instead of 2 Jul 19, 2013

Personally, I'd use one ultrawide screen instead of 2 normal ones:

http://www.lg.com/de/ips/index.html?cmpid=he_mnt_sem_dg_%20lg%20%20ultrawide&gclid=CJ_kifn6urgCFSTKtAodSjUAiw

IPS-Display, 2.560 x 1.080 Pixel

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
For old eyes, it's about more than size Jul 19, 2013

Or here:
http://www.techspot.com/review/658-lg-29ea93-monitor/

While reading the reviews on this monster monitor, and thinking back to my previous monitors, I realised that we've been missing one thing: the importance of height, tilt and rotate. The large 21:9 monitor has only one height setting, and can't be tilted, and can't be rotated.

To raise the height, you'd have to prop it up with a thick dictionary. To tilt it forwards or backwards, you'd have to slide in a magazine or two from the front or the back underneath the monitor stand. And to rotate it, well, yes, you can simply turn it, but since it doesn't have a rotate ring in the stand, you'd need to use some strength. And if the space between the monitor and the wall behind it (or the amount of space in front of the monitor) is limited, then you're also greatly limited in how much you can rotate it, due to the wideness of the monitor.

I guess if you're one of those translators who work in a non-ambient light setting, so that you always have exactly the same light conditions in your office, and if you're one of those guys who sit in front of your desk in exactly the same position all day long, then missing these features wouldn't be an issue for you.

However, I find that being able to rotate the monitor easily to suit my sitting position and the light conditions is something that I would not want to live without. The same goes for being able to tilt the monitor slightly forward or backwards, as it makes viewing certain types of documents easier on the eye.

[Edited at 2013-07-19 08:12 GMT]

deleted. (X)
deleted. (X)
Australia
Local time: 00:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
Monitor setup in 2014 May 8, 2014

Now we are half way through 2014, with better monitors more affordable, I wonder what monitor setup you would want if you are upgrading your system this year? I'm trying to decide between a single 27 or 28 inch monitor and two 24 inch monitors, does anyone have experience with these?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I will upgrade... May 9, 2014

he-li wrote:
I wonder what monitor setup you would want if you are upgrading your system this year?

I will "upgrade" my monitor setup if/when my current monitor gives up the ghost, and then I will try to find one (or two) that provide the exact same benefit (not more). I prefer a setup that does not change every so many months, but one that remains constant.

deleted. (X)
deleted. (X)
Australia
Local time: 00:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
Monitors May 11, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:
I will "upgrade" my monitor setup if/when my current monitor gives up the ghost, and then I will try to find one (or two) that provide the exact same benefit (not more). I prefer a setup that does not change every so many months, but one that remains constant.

So you are happy with two 22 inch monitors. I might get two as well, maybe two 24 inch monitors. I currently have one 19 inch monitor and also the small monitor on the laptop. It is difficult to work in Excel documents or to read a brochure in PDF, so I have to upgrade and I want to upgrade to some setup that will last a while.

That portrait configuration is good. I just tried it on my 19 inch monitor and I'm happily surprised to find it makes reading word document more enjoyable. That's another consideration to bear in mind when choosing my next monitor.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Buying a big computer screen (more than 30 inch) for CAT applications and ordinary translation work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »