What's the best phone for interpreters?? Advice please!!
Thread poster: Paula Loubier
Paula Loubier
Paula Loubier  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:14
French to English
+ ...
Oct 20, 2012

My cellphone contract is up and I'm looking for the best smart phone/ service provider for an interpreter--one where I could look up a term in a hurry, get useful aps, good coverage, 4G, etc. I live in the Milwaukee, WI area (USA).

I've also started to do some telephonic, and would like to know best equipment to use at home (headset and phone). Can I use my smart phone, assuming I have good coverage?

Thanks.

[Edited at 2012-10-21 12:34 GMT]

[Edited at 20
... See more
My cellphone contract is up and I'm looking for the best smart phone/ service provider for an interpreter--one where I could look up a term in a hurry, get useful aps, good coverage, 4G, etc. I live in the Milwaukee, WI area (USA).

I've also started to do some telephonic, and would like to know best equipment to use at home (headset and phone). Can I use my smart phone, assuming I have good coverage?

Thanks.

[Edited at 2012-10-21 12:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-10-21 12:35 GMT]
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:14
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi, Paula. Oct 21, 2012

I like many phones, as long as they have a keyboard. Touch-screen phones are good too, but not if you want to type a lot. Different people like different types, though. As far as phone interpreting is concerned, although I don't do it ( I did it a few times in my life), a land line is required. There is no way to do it on a cell phone, unless it were a real emergency, and you had to do it. Most companies will not even allow you to do it on a cell phone in non-emergency conditions.

Paula Loubier
Paula Loubier  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the info Oct 23, 2012

Thanks Lillian, I've heard that before regarding telephonic and have been using a landline so far--I'm wondering if perhaps that policy has evolved. I'm going to check with my agencies' policies too. I agree with the keyboard part. Unfortunately, many of the newer phones have only a virtual keyboard.

[Edited at 2012-10-23 12:34 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Perhaps a Galaxy Note II? Oct 27, 2012

The Galaxy Note II is large, the reviews are very promising.

http://www.heise.de/ct/inhalt/2012/23/28/

Yuri Radcev
Yuri Radcev  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:14
English to Russian
+ ...
depends Oct 27, 2012

what do you mean by "useful apps"?
the answer is important because it can give you the solution.
in general, it depends on what exactly are you going to do with your would-be smartphone?

Wei Ralph
Wei Ralph  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...
my two cents May 6, 2017

Hi, Paula,

You have asked a great question that matters to all freelancers who do phone interpretations using a cell phone.

My Samsung G4 ( a little out of date) via Verizon with a Motorola blue tooth head set has worked well so far. However, Cell phone is limited to one way at a time voice flow. A landline does not have that limitation.

As a back up, I also have a land line with a VTech hands free phone. I am currently looking for alternative to improve
... See more
Hi, Paula,

You have asked a great question that matters to all freelancers who do phone interpretations using a cell phone.

My Samsung G4 ( a little out of date) via Verizon with a Motorola blue tooth head set has worked well so far. However, Cell phone is limited to one way at a time voice flow. A landline does not have that limitation.

As a back up, I also have a land line with a VTech hands free phone. I am currently looking for alternative to improve this equipment. Any suggestion from someone who might have had same experience as to which hands free head set to use?

Some of the client suggested the freelancer to have both cell and land line in order to limit communications between client and court. Anyway, having both lines are necessary investment to provide improved services to my clients.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 12:14
Romanian to English
+ ...
also my 2 cents May 7, 2017

I do a lot of telephonic interpreting, sometimes 8 hrs/day, but also travel a lot for on-site interpreting. Lately, I transferred my landline to my cell phone and did interpreting everywhere: airport terminal, on the beach, in the car, parking lot etc. I have an Apple 5 S, with Sony headphones and mic. and Verizon coverage. They work fine, so far. Never had a problem or complaint from judges or other clients.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the best phone for interpreters?? Advice please!!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »