Thread poster: Elov
Elov
Elov
Local time: 10:26
English to French
+ ...
Jan 22, 2021

Hi everyone,

I would like the target comments typed in Trados Studio 2019 to appear in the target Excel file, but I can't find any field to specify a column for the target comments.

I was told to got to Project Settings>File Types>Bilingual Excel >Common, "Studio comments will be stored in column:" but thre is no such field in my Studio.

Any idea where I can specify the column?

Thank you in advance!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Elov Jan 22, 2021

Elov wrote:
I was told to got to Project Settings > File Types > Bilingual Excel > Common, "Studio comments will be stored in column:" but there is no such field in my Studio.

I have only a very basic understanding of this particular feature, so take my comment with a grain of salt. But in Trados 2021, click File > Options > File Types (and expand it) > Bilingual Excel (and expand it) > Common, and then in the bottom right corner is "Studio comments will be stored in column:". I'm not sure if you can get to this via Project Settings as well.

I don't know if that setting does what you think it will do.

However, as far as I know, you have to then specifically select "Bilingual Excel" as the file type when creating the project (and I always forget how to do that -- there is a way, but it's not intuitive)

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:26
English to Russian
Once a bilingual Excel project has been created, go to Project Settings as shown below Jan 22, 2021

The best way is to create a single bilingual Excel project and remove (uncheck) all file types except sdlxliff and Bilingual Excel. And then just add or remove files to/from that project as need be.
Another option to create a bilingual Excel project is moving the Bilingual Excel file type up so that it goes above any other Excel options in the list of file types. However, if you create a new project for each next translation assignment, you will have to move the Bilingual Excel file type e
... See more
The best way is to create a single bilingual Excel project and remove (uncheck) all file types except sdlxliff and Bilingual Excel. And then just add or remove files to/from that project as need be.
Another option to create a bilingual Excel project is moving the Bilingual Excel file type up so that it goes above any other Excel options in the list of file types. However, if you create a new project for each next translation assignment, you will have to move the Bilingual Excel file type every time you create a project.
Collapse

Elov
Elov
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No field named "Studio comments will be stored in column:" in my Studio 2019 Jan 22, 2021

Thank you, Samuel and Stepan, but the problem is that there is no "Studio comments will be stored in column:" field in my Studio... 🤔

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:26
English to Russian
Wild guess Jan 22, 2021

Probably, you apply screen scaling other than 100%. I do so either (I use 150%). This prevents you from seeing the lower part of the wizard. 1. Hover your mouse over the top border of this window so that a white vertical two-way arrow appears and drag the upper border down. 2. Then drag the whole wi... See more
Probably, you apply screen scaling other than 100%. I do so either (I use 150%). This prevents you from seeing the lower part of the wizard. 1. Hover your mouse over the top border of this window so that a white vertical two-way arrow appears and drag the upper border down. 2. Then drag the whole window up.

If this does not help, ask your question here: https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio

[Edited at 2021-01-22 14:58 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Elov Jan 22, 2021

Elov wrote:
There is no "Studio comments will be stored in column:" field in my Studio... 🤔

I just checked in Trados 2019 (which I happen to have on my computer still), and you're right: there is no such option.

no such option

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extracting target comments to Excel

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »