Thread poster: Anne-Claire Bennion
Anne-Claire Bennion
Anne-Claire Bennion  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:51
English to French
Nov 15, 2018

Hi,
I'm just trying to find out if I'm the only one having major issues with Trados 2019.

Due to an issue with black screens in Windows, I sometimes have to force restart my laptop. Everytime I do so, Trados 2019 resets itself completely and I have to configure everything again (languages, shortcuts, all the plugins, etc.). On top of that, it corrupts all previously started/opened projects, which I have to set up again from scratch.

I am working on a big project
... See more
Hi,
I'm just trying to find out if I'm the only one having major issues with Trados 2019.

Due to an issue with black screens in Windows, I sometimes have to force restart my laptop. Everytime I do so, Trados 2019 resets itself completely and I have to configure everything again (languages, shortcuts, all the plugins, etc.). On top of that, it corrupts all previously started/opened projects, which I have to set up again from scratch.

I am working on a big project at the moment and have already set up 4 iterations of it, with all the delays this entails.
Today I've had enough, uninstalled 2019 and reinstalled 2017. All my projects opened without issue and remained, even after a forced restart (to check that they would indeed not be deleted or corrupted).

In the last few days, Studio 2019 has also become much slower (approving segments and running QAs seem to take ages).

For now, I'm afraid I'll stop using Studio 2019 until I can see that it is less glitchy and I'll get back to good old Studio 2017.

Am I the only one with these issues or has anyone else suffered similar issues? I have emailed Trados and posted on their forum, but have heard anything, so I doubt they'll get back to me or do anything about it.

Thanks in advance for your contribution.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:51
English to Russian
Link Nov 16, 2018

Hi Anne-Claire Bennion,
Can you share the link to what you 'posted on their forum'?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:51
English
Responding to your question... Nov 16, 2018

Anne-Claire Bennion wrote:

Am I the only one with these issues or has anyone else suffered similar issues? I have emailed Trados and posted on their forum, but have heard anything, so I doubt they'll get back to me or do anything about it.

Took me a little while to find your post as you tacked it onto the end of another thread, but it was answered around 9 minutes after you posted it!

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/p/17028/69761#69761

The problem seems to be more related to your computer than Studio, but perhaps you could reply in the thread and continue the discussion if you disagree?

Anne-Claire Bennion
Anne-Claire Bennion  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:51
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Any suggestions welcome... Nov 16, 2018

There are several posts on proz.com relating to this issue for previous version but not for 2019. I know the black screen issue is a Windows sleep issue (and I'm far from the only person affected by these) but even with a full reinstall of Windows on my computer, the problem persists.

I'm no IT expert and I don't pretend to be, but th answer I got on the Trados forum, telling me that there must be something wrong with my computer is not very helpful. The problem I have is that Trado
... See more
There are several posts on proz.com relating to this issue for previous version but not for 2019. I know the black screen issue is a Windows sleep issue (and I'm far from the only person affected by these) but even with a full reinstall of Windows on my computer, the problem persists.

I'm no IT expert and I don't pretend to be, but th answer I got on the Trados forum, telling me that there must be something wrong with my computer is not very helpful. The problem I have is that Trados is the ONLY program on my computer behaving in this way and that it is causing me some anxiety as the resets are becoming more frequent and I'm losing precious working time.

I've been told to backup the files, but I have no clue which files they mean or how to do that. I don't think that would make any difference anyway. My files are all still there, they just become corrupted and can't be opened again when I try to reload them after a reset. I therefore have to recreate the projects from scratch. If this isn't a Trados issue, I don't know what is.

Anyway, I'm no further in my quest to find a solution...
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:51
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
This shouldn't happen IMO Nov 16, 2018

The best solution would be to get another computer. Such technical problems hardly are solved even when you give the machine in for repair.
My current laptop once in a while gets dead, then I simply restart it, let Windows boot normally and everything is there, except of course the last translation units after saving. But those are in the TM alright. I still use Studio 2017. This happens only a few months in between, if it would happen more often I certainly would buy a new laptop. And fo
... See more
The best solution would be to get another computer. Such technical problems hardly are solved even when you give the machine in for repair.
My current laptop once in a while gets dead, then I simply restart it, let Windows boot normally and everything is there, except of course the last translation units after saving. But those are in the TM alright. I still use Studio 2017. This happens only a few months in between, if it would happen more often I certainly would buy a new laptop. And for the worst case my old laptop sits still waiting on the shelve, all software installed.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:51
English to Russian
What goes first? Nov 16, 2018

Do Trados issues force your computer to reboot? If yes, then it is obviously a Trados issue. If this is reboot that causes Trados issues to arise, then Trados obviously has nothing to do with that.
If your computer reboots more often over time, the problem is definitely with you computer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2019 constantly resetting itself and losing all data

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »