Studio 2014: Can you sort segments by lenght or by alphabet?
Thread poster: MikeTrans
MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 05:23
Italian to German
+ ...
Nov 4, 2014

Studio 2014 has a lot of frequent segment filters, but I really miss those in the title. It happens that you have to deal with entries that Studio doesn't clearly identify as acronyms, e.g. segments containing only expressions like "DF134:" etc.
Here, it would be fine to sort all the segments by lenght, chose all these special segments, copy source to target and confirm them all in one step.

If not possible, then this would clearly be a suggestion entry for the KB. Or maybe it
... See more
Studio 2014 has a lot of frequent segment filters, but I really miss those in the title. It happens that you have to deal with entries that Studio doesn't clearly identify as acronyms, e.g. segments containing only expressions like "DF134:" etc.
Here, it would be fine to sort all the segments by lenght, chose all these special segments, copy source to target and confirm them all in one step.

If not possible, then this would clearly be a suggestion entry for the KB. Or maybe it's already there?

Mike

[Edited at 2014-11-04 20:26 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You can't sort... Nov 5, 2014

... alphabetically, or by string length in Studio.

You can use the Terminjector from the OpenExchange to have patterns recognised and handled correctly in your TM results. But when we release SP2 in a couple of weeks you'll find alphanumeric patterns are now recognised automatically.

Regards

Paul

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:23
English to Turkish
+ ...
I miss that feature from memoQ Nov 5, 2014

DVX can sort alphabetically but it is memoQ which can sort by length or alphabetically. Both Studio and DVX should add this feature I believe.

Selcuk

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Nov 5, 2014

Nice to hear about a going SP2, in the meantime I will try some savant input in the filter with some RegEx (if this situation was more extreme, I would re-import the document after doing some search/replace), but it's not big of a problem at all, the cases where Studio can't do something are getting very rare, at least for me!

Mike

[EDIT]
The "Not translated" filter is the solution in such cases: I just skip them and filter at the end on empty segments.

[Ed
... See more
Nice to hear about a going SP2, in the meantime I will try some savant input in the filter with some RegEx (if this situation was more extreme, I would re-import the document after doing some search/replace), but it's not big of a problem at all, the cases where Studio can't do something are getting very rare, at least for me!

Mike

[EDIT]
The "Not translated" filter is the solution in such cases: I just skip them and filter at the end on empty segments.

[Edited at 2014-11-05 05:57 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Filter? Nov 5, 2014

It is very easy to do this in a flexible manner with the filter feature. Depending on what the source is like, enter something like these in the filter box:
^[^ ]*:$
^[A-Z\d:]*$
^DF.{2,15}:$

Click Filter and you're done. You'll have to learn a little regex syntax but that's a worthwhile time investment anyway.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Andras, Nov 5, 2014

thanks for these syntax examples. My RegEx help files are located on another machine right now, that's why I didn't get very far...
But it's good to know that such queries are possible in Studio.

Cheers,
Mike

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:23
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Cool, thanks! Oct 4, 2017

FarkasAndras wrote:

It is very easy to do this in a flexible manner with the filter feature. Depending on what the source is like, enter something like these in the filter box:
^[^ ]*:$
^[A-Z\d:]*$
^DF.{2,15}:$

Click Filter and you're done. You'll have to learn a little regex syntax but that's a worthwhile time investment anyway.

I tried them all 3, and none of them seem to sort all src segments alphabetically though. I also tried in the new Advanced Display Filter.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:23
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
regex to sort src segments alphabetically in the (Community) Advanced Display Filter? Sep 23, 2018

Has anyone ever gotten these (or any other regexes) to sort all src segments alphabetically in the (Community) Advanced Display Filter? They don't work for me.

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014: Can you sort segments by lenght or by alphabet?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »