Thread poster: Diane G
Diane G
Diane G  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
May 29, 2020

I received a request for translation through Proz, from a VoIP number in Alabama, person has a hotmail account. He is not registered on this site. He asked for a translation of two documents from Spanish to English.
Clue 1. He asked for my bank routing information and/or address to send a check, saying he would pay 50% up front.
Clue 2. He signed and returned an estimate after midnight then was impatient for a response around 7AM.
Clue 3. When I replied that I only use PayPal
... See more
I received a request for translation through Proz, from a VoIP number in Alabama, person has a hotmail account. He is not registered on this site. He asked for a translation of two documents from Spanish to English.
Clue 1. He asked for my bank routing information and/or address to send a check, saying he would pay 50% up front.
Clue 2. He signed and returned an estimate after midnight then was impatient for a response around 7AM.
Clue 3. When I replied that I only use PayPal and sent him an invoice and asked for confirmation of his address I heard nothing back. I followed up and nothing.
Clue 4. The documents requested are actually fairly well-known articles in English:

- The income inequality of France in historical perspective, published by Cambridge Press and others.
- Education and Economic Growth: From the 19th to the 21st Century, published by Cisco and others.

Be on the alert for this request, friends.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Yolanda Broad
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Aline Amorim

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Voice telephone call Jun 1, 2020

I almost always make a voice telephone call with a new potential customer. I also check them out on the Blue Board and Google.

I do it on the other end with new potential translators. I want to have a little personal contact, and hear their language ability.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAM ALERT

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »