Nadine Maggard  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:48
Member (2019)
English to French
+ ...
Jan 18, 2019

Greetings,

Be aware of scammers (using distinctive names) who ask for bank information through email communication. I have recently received some similar messages from: [email protected] and [email protected] (I checked their IP address).

1st email: Hello and how are you doing today? I would like to know if you will be able to translate
... See more
Greetings,

Be aware of scammers (using distinctive names) who ask for bank information through email communication. I have recently received some similar messages from: [email protected] and [email protected] (I checked their IP address).

1st email: Hello and how are you doing today? I would like to know if you will be able to translate a document from Spanish to French which is to be used for a presentation in a month.

2nd email: Thank you for getting back to me. Please find attached the document, check the word count and get back to me with your charges/invoice, so we can proceed afterwards. I will need it ready in a month.

3rd email: "Good then. I already discussed with my sponsor about this and was told to send your details so he can get half of the payment to you and send you the balance as soon as you are done. Kindly get back to me with the details below so we can make funds available to you asap" or "$1600 sounds good to me. you will be getting $800 50% advance to get started and a balance of $800 when you are done. If this works for you then kindly get back to me with the details below so that payment can be facilitated asap."

Bank name
Bank address
Account number
Routing number
Beneficiary name
Cell number

I have not worked through PRO Z yet. Hopefully this will end.

Best regards,

Nadine
Collapse

Marie Parisot

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:48
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Neverending story Jan 18, 2019

Nadine Maggard wrote:

I have not worked through PRO Z yet. Hopefully this will end.

Thank you for posting it, Nadine. Unfortunately, these scammers will never give up.

Aside from the gmail address, the statement that "the presentation will be in a / next month" is yelling, don't fall for me. I'm definitely a scammer.

Even though the English is fairly good, the scammer makes the same mistakes like his/her "companions". Still, whenever I receive an email like this, my reply usually is (if I suspect any fraud, e. g. over-payment), an advanced payment it not required. All account and personal details will be on my invoice. However, I prefer getting paid through PayPal.

This usually ends the conversation. Because legitimate customers will understand.

Did you receive these emails through ProZ? Do these people have one of those near-empty profiles? If so, then you should let ProZ know so that they will be deleted.

Nadine Maggard
TTMEM TRANSLATION PORTAL

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
let's get to the point Jan 18, 2019

1.- these "requests" are sold on the "dark web" and on forums for online criminals.

2.- it is not a particular "scammer"; for $2.00 - $15.00 they can buy your stolen financial credentials (credit card
account, bank account)

3.- there are different softwares sold on the "dark web", that send thousands/day spam messages or fishing
messages. The more sophisticated criminals send "spear-fishing messages" to a precise target and a precise
... See more
1.- these "requests" are sold on the "dark web" and on forums for online criminals.

2.- it is not a particular "scammer"; for $2.00 - $15.00 they can buy your stolen financial credentials (credit card
account, bank account)

3.- there are different softwares sold on the "dark web", that send thousands/day spam messages or fishing
messages. The more sophisticated criminals send "spear-fishing messages" to a precise target and a precise
goal.
4.- there is a forum for criminals with a list of potential victims (gullible people who got scammed already)

5.- this scam of "overpayment" is one of the preferred methods to try to scam translators and interpreters.

6.- from my research (empyrical) it seems that the EN-GE translators group is the favorite target.

The best thing, DO NOT REPLY to these messages; DO NOT ENGAGE in any e-mail exchange unless you know what you are doing.

My 2c.

Stay safe,
Lee
Collapse

Nadine Maggard
Colleen Roach, PhD
IrinaN
Daryo
Thayenga
Nathalie Bullen
Laura Kingdon

Nadine Maggard
Nadine Maggard  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2019)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bank Information Scammers Jan 21, 2019

Thank you guys for your answer.

I will just ignore them from now on.

Nadine

Gleyse
Gleyse  Identity Verified
France
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
scams Feb 1, 2019

I have received this email:

Jeu 31/01/2019 22:35
Hello,

I'm an individual,this is my information for the perusal.

Your price seems relatively low compared to other translators and I really appreciate that. The delivery date is okay but in return I want a perfect and accurate translation

50% of the payment will be sent upfront so you can proceed with the translation as soon as your receive the payment and the balance upon co
... See more
I have received this email:

Jeu 31/01/2019 22:35
Hello,

I'm an individual,this is my information for the perusal.

Your price seems relatively low compared to other translators and I really appreciate that. The delivery date is okay but in return I want a perfect and accurate translation

50% of the payment will be sent upfront so you can proceed with the translation as soon as your receive the payment and the balance upon completion of the project.

However, my preferred mode of payment is to make a wire transfer or bank transfer to your account and all that is needed now is your bank details.

For wire transfer / bank transfer
Bank Name:
Bank Postal Address:
Account Name:
Account Number:
Iban Number:

Here is my personal information for your perusal

Full Name: Patricia Smith
Address: 12, White hart lane
City: Avon
State: CO
Zip: 81620
Phone: (571) 302-435051
Collapse

Dominika Kowalska (X)

Dominika Kowalska (X)
Dominika Kowalska (X)
France
English to Polish
+ ...
Stacey Tolder, Patricia Smith Feb 1, 2019

I got the same one. Patricia Smith and then today Stacey Tolder... seems like scammers take on women’s names.

Gilbert Vincendeau

Matthieu Delbecque
Matthieu Delbecque
France
English to French
+ ...
Patricia Smith Mar 3, 2019

Warning !
Confirmation that anything you might get from Patricia Smith is scam !!

Matthieu Delbecque
Matthieu Delbecque
France
English to French
+ ...
Stacey Tolder Mar 7, 2019

Another try under Stacey Tolder today... SCAM !!
Anyway Pro.com can "block" these users ?

nadiarasa
laetitia vagner

nadiarasa
nadiarasa  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Brian Faith Mar 8, 2019

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the info. I've been very doubtful of how I easily got this job offer, so I've been looking ont the internet for some scam as it asked exactly the same info....

Name is Faith Brian and he contacted out of ProZ mailbox and directly on my email, his email is [email protected] and IP address from Prague

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Why scamming us? Mar 8, 2019

What I mean, we are not exactly the best paid profession in the world. If I were a scammer, I wouldn't put all my efforts in scamming translators, but would go for something more 'substantial', so 'real money' in stead of 'peanuts'.

I don't get it, hence my question.

[Edited at 2019-03-08 16:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-03-08 17:00 GMT]

neuri17 (X)

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Like stealing candy from a baby Mar 8, 2019

It's not very nice, but it's so easy to do.
The (over)abundance of translators has resulted in stiff job competition and people desperate for work, who, abandoning all common sense, will jump at almost any chance to get their foot in the door in the hope of an opportunity to find a regular source of jobs – or any job at all.

Some scams are relatively well-thought out and executed such as the current Zeiss/Random House scheme, but the majority represented here are quite trans
... See more
It's not very nice, but it's so easy to do.
The (over)abundance of translators has resulted in stiff job competition and people desperate for work, who, abandoning all common sense, will jump at almost any chance to get their foot in the door in the hope of an opportunity to find a regular source of jobs – or any job at all.

Some scams are relatively well-thought out and executed such as the current Zeiss/Random House scheme, but the majority represented here are quite transparent. Like the classic Nigerian widow scams, these work and provide the perpetrators with an easy source of income with very little effort.

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

What I mean, we are not exactly the best paid profession in the world. If I would be a scammer, I wouldn't put all my efforts in scamming translators, but would go for something more 'substantial', so 'real money' in stead of 'peanuts'.

I don't get it, hence my question.

[Edited at 2019-03-08 16:42 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Daryo

Corinne Dos Santos
Corinne Dos Santos
France
English to French
+ ...
stacey tolder Mar 8, 2019

Dominika Kowalska wrote:

I got the same one. Patricia Smith and then today Stacey Tolder... seems like scammers take on women’s names.

Hello Dominika,
I got an email for a quote for a document today from stacey tolder ([email protected]), but it looks kind of strange I admit, I also am naturally very suspicious.
Do you confirm this is a scam?
How can we know for sure it is?

She did not asked for bank account details for the moment, only a quote.

In advance, thank you for your help.

[Edited at 2019-03-08 18:09 GMT]

laetitia vagner

MK2010
MK2010  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
My friend just got scammed too... Mar 13, 2019

By both Patricia and Stacey. The big question we have is, can someone take money from your account if they have your bank info? I've been a victim of the overscam via check, but this one was via bank. They haven't transferred money to her account yet. I personally don't think they can take money out.

[Edited at 2019-03-13 00:39 GMT]

laetitia vagner
laetitia vagner
France
English to French
+ ...
Omg Mar 15, 2019

Hello everyone,

I received also mail from Stacey Tolder and Patricia Smith. My bank info are in my quotes. This Stacey told me she made me a payment and ask if i received it. So you said its fake people ? What can i do ?

Semrin Demirel
Semrin Demirel  Identity Verified
France
German
+ ...
I just got scammed by Cynthia Hughes <[email protected]> Mar 16, 2019

... and the content was like this, after some other emails we have written until agreeing for the project:

50% of the payment will be sent upfront so you can proceed with the translation as soon as your receive the payment and the balance upon completion of the project.

However, my preferred mode of payment is to make a wire transfer or bank transfer to your account and all that is needed now is your bank details.

For wire tra
... See more
... and the content was like this, after some other emails we have written until agreeing for the project:

For wire transfer / bank transfer
Bank Name:
Bank Postal Address:
Account Name:
Account Number:
Iban Number:

Here is my personal information for your perusal

Full Name: Cynthia Hudges
Address: 12, White hart lane
City: Avon
State: CO
Zip: 81620
Phone: (571) 302-4340

Thank you
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bank Information Scammers

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »