Thread poster: Steven7954
Steven7954
Steven7954
United States
Oct 30, 2017

Scammer Alert of All Translators:

The scammer sent me an email (as follows) from an email account, Raymond King :

Hi,

I am interested in the service of an English translator. I found your information on American translators association. I have an article to be translated from English into XXX. The article contains 30 pages. KIndly get back to me asap.

Thanks!

Raymond

His phone# 678-682-2518

I
... See more
Scammer Alert of All Translators:

The scammer sent me an email (as follows) from an email account, Raymond King :

Hi,

I am interested in the service of an English translator. I found your information on American translators association. I have an article to be translated from English into XXX. The article contains 30 pages. KIndly get back to me asap.

Thanks!

Raymond

His phone# 678-682-2518

I gave him a quote, and he sent me a check with an amount three time higher. I am 100% sure that the check is a fake one.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:41
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Definitely a scam to avoid at all costs Oct 30, 2017

Steven7954 wrote:
I gave him a quote, and he sent me a check with an amount three time higher. I am 100% sure that the check is a fake one.

It isn't even just that it's a dud cheque, meaning that you would not get paid a cent for your time and effort. If you fall totally for the scam and follow their instructions, then you'll also send your own hard-earned money to reimburse some associate of this person in some other part of the world, so you'll actually be out of pocket. Even then it might not stop! It is actually illegal to present fake cheques to the bank and some poor professionals (I don't know if there are translators among them) have even faced prosecution and fines.

Steven7954
Steven7954
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Scammer Alert for translators Oct 30, 2017

The scammer's email is : [email protected]

It looks like this email account has been closed.

Michele Lemieux-Madison (X)
Michele Lemieux-Madison (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:41
English to French
+ ...
Unfortunately, the name changes, the scam remains Nov 17, 2017

I have had that type of email years ago and I thought it was a one-time thing. But I have received 3 more emails from different people who want me to translate their, yes, 30 off page document, 11k words or thereabouts for a presentation they are making. They do not have much imagination. 2 of those emails came to me from my NETA (New England Translators Association) affiliation and 1 from my ATA membership.

So anytime I see something resembling 30 pages, 11,000 words, presentation,
... See more
I have had that type of email years ago and I thought it was a one-time thing. But I have received 3 more emails from different people who want me to translate their, yes, 30 off page document, 11k words or thereabouts for a presentation they are making. They do not have much imagination. 2 of those emails came to me from my NETA (New England Translators Association) affiliation and 1 from my ATA membership.

So anytime I see something resembling 30 pages, 11,000 words, presentation,... and of course, if there are spelling errors in the email, I just blacklist. There's no use in replying to let them know we're on to them, it's a waste of time as they delete their email addresses as soon as they can so they don't get caught.

Unfortunately, scammers are everywhere, but it's a good thing we have platforms such as Proz so we can talk about them and warn each other.

Have a great weekend!

Michèle
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:41
Chinese to English
+ ...
Oh, it's active Feb 12, 2018

Steven7954 wrote:

The scammer's email is : [email protected]

It looks like this email account has been closed.

I can confirm that it is in fact being currently used

Aleksandra Gjoreska
Aleksandra Gjoreska  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 13:41
German to Macedonian
+ ...
Another e-mail! Feb 14, 2018

Hi,

Here is another name and e-mail to look out for:

Donny Anderson, Premier Health Services
[email protected]

He also has profile on linked-in. I was contacted trough Proz.com for a Relocation Assistance engagement and he offered to pay with a check which was false.

With best wishes,
Aleksandra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scammer Alert for all translators:

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »