"Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" spam flooding!
Thread poster: Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:17
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 21, 2014

I have five emails accounts with the domain idea-translations I registered via proz. One of those accounts suddenly is flooded with a sort of spam messages apparently sent by me, which are returning to me. An example of one of the spam emails I'm receiving is as follows (i changed my domain and email account name!) is as follows:

Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. Thi
... See more
I have five emails accounts with the domain idea-translations I registered via proz. One of those accounts suddenly is flooded with a sort of spam messages apparently sent by me, which are returning to me. An example of one of the spam emails I'm receiving is as follows (i changed my domain and email account name!) is as follows:

Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO::
host corsa.co.id [103.31.225.131]: 550 No such person at this address"
[email protected]
SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host mx-eu.mail.am0.yahoodns.net [188.125.69.79]:
554 delivery error: dd Sorry your message to [email protected] cannot be delivered. This account has been disabled or discontinued [#102]. - mta1137.mail.ir2.yahoo.com
[email protected]
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO::
host mx3.hotmail.com [65.54.188.110]: 550 Requested action not taken:
mailbox unavailable
[email protected]
The mail server could not deliver mail to [email protected]. The account or domain may not exist, they may be blacklisted, or missing the proper dns entries.

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path:
Received: from [85.9.120.254] (port=1677 helo=WIN-QR1R9GS1KDE)
by melo.host.proz.com with esmtpsa (TLSv1:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:256)
(Exim 4.80)
(envelope-from )
id 1Wn8cn-0003N9-Ec; Wed, 21 May 2014 15:40:14 +0000
X-Mailer: idea-translations.com
Message-ID: [email protected]
Subject: Fwd:

The spam emails are still coming, even if the email software is not been used. I've already deleted my email account from my hosting provider at Proz.com. As that account was linked to gmail, I deleted the link to gmail. I have AVG security. An additional Kasperky analysis showed no issues at all.

What else can I check to stop receiving the spam emails? Or, where can I check if I'm sending spam to unknown people?

Regards

Clarisa
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Write to ProZ Support May 21, 2014

Dear Clarisa,

This can be really annoying, I am sorry for you. I believe that there is a good chance that your email server is not physically involved in the sending of the messages. However you should probably ask support at proz.com about this. In the mean time you might be able to set up some filter to alleviate the disturbance.

I hope that your problem will be solved quickly, and I will appreciate receiving your further information about the future developments.
... See more
Dear Clarisa,

This can be really annoying, I am sorry for you. I believe that there is a good chance that your email server is not physically involved in the sending of the messages. However you should probably ask support at proz.com about this. In the mean time you might be able to set up some filter to alleviate the disturbance.

I hope that your problem will be solved quickly, and I will appreciate receiving your further information about the future developments.

Luca
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:17
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it was my email May 22, 2014

Dear Luca

At the same time I noticed the spam, the technical staff at proz.com detected that my email account was sending spams (not even from my computer, but I guess from some remote hosting), and changed my password. It was an almost simuntaneous operation. They were very supportive.

I decided, nevertheless to delete temporarily that email account and recover it in a couple of days. I also modified the password of the remaining accounts.

Regards
... See more
Dear Luca

At the same time I noticed the spam, the technical staff at proz.com detected that my email account was sending spams (not even from my computer, but I guess from some remote hosting), and changed my password. It was an almost simuntaneous operation. They were very supportive.

I decided, nevertheless to delete temporarily that email account and recover it in a couple of days. I also modified the password of the remaining accounts.

Regards

Clarisa
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 02:17
French to English
+ ...
This is not an intrusion May 22, 2014

Clarisa, the incident most likely has nothing to do with stolen passwords or your account security being compromised in any other way. What you encounter is a so-called 'backscatter': spammers are simply impersonating you, putting your e-mail address in the "From:" line of their mailings, and when spam is rejected by the recipient, it comes back to you because the "From:" line says so. To suppress it, you can establish a so-called SPF (sender policy framework) record in your domain's DNS records... See more
Clarisa, the incident most likely has nothing to do with stolen passwords or your account security being compromised in any other way. What you encounter is a so-called 'backscatter': spammers are simply impersonating you, putting your e-mail address in the "From:" line of their mailings, and when spam is rejected by the recipient, it comes back to you because the "From:" line says so. To suppress it, you can establish a so-called SPF (sender policy framework) record in your domain's DNS records. It may not eliminate the backscatter entirely, but it would reduce it very substantially. Judging by your question, this is probably beyond your IT skill level, but may be able to ask the tech support staff administering your domain to do so.Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:17
French to English
Backscatter May 23, 2014

I agree with Anton that this sounds like "backscatter". It has happened to me before too, and I have dealt with it by using filters and "white list" email solutions such as Delosmail (I really love Delosmail by the way - great company, very supportive).

Thanks for mentioning SPF Anton, I had never heard of that, will keep it in mind in the future.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" spam flooding!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »