Do you fill in questionaries on unsecure websites?
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:52
Czech to German
+ ...
Nov 18, 2010

Hi all,

I was asked by an agency to fill in a questionary on their website but as it is not secure I'm reluctant to write my name, mail and physical addresses, phone number etc., well all the data they're asking normally. Moreover the questionary is only working with IE...

It's an agency I would like to work with but when I told them about my concerns they answered very friendly but firmly that they understand my problem but there is no other possibility and they themse
... See more
Hi all,

I was asked by an agency to fill in a questionary on their website but as it is not secure I'm reluctant to write my name, mail and physical addresses, phone number etc., well all the data they're asking normally. Moreover the questionary is only working with IE...

It's an agency I would like to work with but when I told them about my concerns they answered very friendly but firmly that they understand my problem but there is no other possibility and they themselves would not misuse anything.

How do you deal with this?

Charlotte
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:52
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
No other possibility... Nov 18, 2010

Sigh. So, none of them is capable of typing/copying and pasting your name and address into their system?

This "registering online" game is one of my pet peeves. I do not wish to "register", "retrieve" jobs or "enter" any data online for invoicing. I have my own stationery and if anyone wants to work with me, give me a call or send an email.

Sorry, I am stubborn.

But my mailbox is spam-free.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Why not? Nov 18, 2010

Charlotte Blank wrote:
I was asked by an agency to fill in a questionary on their website but as it is not secure I'm reluctant to write my name, mail and physical addresses, phone number etc., well all the data they're asking normally.

You're just being paranoid. All the data they normally ask are data that a translator with a web site would normally put on his web site, so that data is available for everyone to see. Besides, if you would send this information via e-mail, ask yourself: do you encrypt your e-mail?

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree with Nicole and Samuel Nov 19, 2010

I have to agree with Nicole, I also hate filling in all these online agency forms

However if you are going to fill them in, I have to agree with Samuel, it's not like your giving them anything anyone could not find out from your Proz profile.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you fill in questionaries on unsecure websites?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »