Annie Beaudette
Annie Beaudette  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:33
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Dec 5, 2008

I received an email last night from a translator, Maria Brown. I had a funny feeling, so I decided to do a Google search with that name. I didn't found a translator named Maria Brown but did found a thread about her.

Here's what I found:

********************************************************************************
Hello to all,
FWIW this message was posted without any further details on another translators' website on Aug 22:

"Hi e
... See more
I received an email last night from a translator, Maria Brown. I had a funny feeling, so I decided to do a Google search with that name. I didn't found a translator named Maria Brown but did found a thread about her.

Here's what I found:

********************************************************************************
Hello to all,
FWIW this message was posted without any further details on another translators' website on Aug 22:

"Hi every one,
A so-called Maria Brown Posted a job this morning. Please make sure you report if she contact you. She is scaming people and will rip you of every single penny you have in you bank account. She is reported all over the web."

I will try to get more information from this poster.

-----

Hi,

i found the following information about this on this website:

http://www.translationdirectory.com/forum/threads/?394

***********************************************************************************

And here's the email I received.

My name is maria brown ,Am Spaniard women am really from PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
CANADA but am in West coast Africa for now i was giving
contract to translate a project from English to french and the
contract will last two to three month to be precise and i will
like to know if you are capable and available of translating the project
what is your charges for the translation ....I will be waiting to hear
from you soon as possible.........
BestRegard,
maria

Take care everyone!

Annie

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-12-05 10:50 GMT]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:33
English to German
+ ...
'Bishop scam' revisited Dec 5, 2008

Hi Annie,
To me this sounds like a reincarnation of the infamous 'Bishop scam', as discussed previously.

Note that I edited the title of your posting, as a reference to "job posting" may have indicated a connection to a traditional job posted on ProZ.com. Jobs moderators would not permit such a posting.

Best regards,
Ralf

[Edited at 2008-12-05 10:52 GMT]

Annie Beaudette
Annie Beaudette  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:33
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Dec 5, 2008

Thanks.

I didn't realize that.

Annie

Ahmet Murati
Ahmet Murati  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Albanian
+ ...
Simply Scam Dec 5, 2008

first of all the emails written in such format simply indicate that the quality of writing was pretty low. First of all the firstname and lastname aren't written in format of starting with capital letter.

As we know the salutation best regards is divided by at leas a blank line. Like in following

Best regards,

Ahmet N Murati

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Can't believe people fall for that ! Dec 5, 2008

I can't really understand how someone can fall for such a scam !

I mean come on who pays you more than what's due and asks for the difference ! Furthermore, as a pro do you really believe that something written in such a manner is about a serious job ?

I think people should get real at a certain point ! Furthermore, always try to research the people who offer you a job you can google them, and some basic IP , email tracing knowledge can help you to avoid a lot of troubl
... See more
I can't really understand how someone can fall for such a scam !

I mean come on who pays you more than what's due and asks for the difference ! Furthermore, as a pro do you really believe that something written in such a manner is about a serious job ?

I think people should get real at a certain point ! Furthermore, always try to research the people who offer you a job you can google them, and some basic IP , email tracing knowledge can help you to avoid a lot of trouble.

Never forget that a professional, always uses a professional email ! He/she doesn't use something like "[email protected]" or whatever !

[Edited at 2008-12-05 20:47 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
D. I. Verrelli
D. I. Verrelli  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:33
German to English
+ ...
Clues Feb 17, 2019

Ahmet Murati wrote:

As we know the salutation best regards is divided by at leas a blank line.

No, not really. As in Ralf Lemster's post above, a blank line is by no means necessary. In fact, I would say the blank line is superfluous unless you are signing 'by hand' above your printed (i.e. typed) name.

—DIV

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam attempts through job offer?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »