Year-end report to members, 2012
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 22:44
SITE STAFF
Nov 8, 2012

Dear members,

The year-end membership campaign will be starting shortly. It is your membership investment that makes ProZ.com possible for thousands and thousands of people around the world (just over 600,000 registered users to date). So I will start and end this report with a thank you!

Here is a report on news and advancements since the mid-year report to members in May.*<
... See more
Dear members,

The year-end membership campaign will be starting shortly. It is your membership investment that makes ProZ.com possible for thousands and thousands of people around the world (just over 600,000 registered users to date). So I will start and end this report with a thank you!

Here is a report on news and advancements since the mid-year report to members in May.*

• Job flow continues to be healthy. October saw the largest volume of posted jobs for that month on record. Remember that posted jobs are only part of the job flow on the site, though; directory and profile searches are the most common ways in which work gets passed on the site. October was also an exceptional month in translator feedback. To date, over 69,000 Willingness to Work Again (WWA) feedback entries have been given to more than 20,000 language professionals.

• This year's State of the industry report for freelance translators was published in September. State of the industry reports take a look at some of the changes that are affecting translators, as told by translators. The reports include discussion of the trends, obstacles and opportunities in freelance work in the translation industry today, and how freelance translators are dealing with these trends. The reports are free for all full ProZ.com members. You can find these reports under the "Education" menu tab, at "Translation industry reports".

Comparison of translator rates
    Comparison of translator rates, from the State of the industry report for freelance translators, 2012. Click image to see a larger version.

• ProZ.com translation contests are back. The current contest, "Yogi Berra Quotes", is now in the finals stage, and several new features and improvements have been introduced on a new contest platform. More contests are on the way, so there will be more chances to take a break, have some fun and test your translation skills with colleagues. Thank you to everyone who has participated in this edition, and good luck to the finalists!

ProZ.com translation contests

• An improved version of the ProZ.com term search was released in September. Term search is now faster, provides better results, and is easier to use. This resource is used by thousands of translators daily.

• In Certified PRO Network (CPN) news, applications to the network for translation companies was made possible in June. Translation companies willing to demonstrate their capabilities in keeping with published industry standards can now complete an application for inclusion into the network and submit it for review at http://www.proz.com/pro-tag/info/express-interest

• The translation center, thanks to the generosity of volunteer translators, has been able to process over 6 million words to date for NGOs across the globe.

Translation center

• The Moderator class of 2012-2013 stepped up and began their year of service in August. Thanks goes out to all the members who volunteer their time and efforts to helping others get the most out of ProZ.com.

• In an area of activity called "Site guidance", which is devoted to helping those who use ProZ.com get what they need out of their use of the site, a "Getting started at ProZ.com" section has been released. The "Getting started" section is intended to be a group of resources for those seeking to use ProZ.com to get started in translation or to grow an already established translation business. It can be seen at http://www.proz.com/pages/getting_started

Also in site guidance, over 60 webinars have been offered on getting started in translation, expanding your translation business, risk management for translators, and on meeting clients at ProZ.com. The "meeting clients" webinars are free to everyone, and the rest of the site guidance webinars are free to all ProZ.com members.

• ProZ.com localization teams, groups of ProZ.com members who volunteer their time and expertise to bring the ProZ.com site to users in their native languages, have helped, to date, to localize parts of the site into 52 languages. You can see current localization teams here.

• In Translator training, nearly 17,000 language professionals have taken training through ProZ.com to date. In 2012 more experienced members of the community are sharing their expertise through almost 300 live sessions in English, Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese, Greek, Russian and German. The ProZ.com video library continues to grow, with over 270 on-demand recordings now available. More than 1,000 translators have taken SDL Trados training and certification with ProZ.com so far this year, and around 100 translators have already participated in new specialized training in Medical and Legal terminology.

• In ProZ.com events since the last report, the following were held:

Events through the end of the year include:
    See all upcoming ProZ.com events >>

Translator events
    Lyon, Rio, and Lima. Click images to see a larger version.

Appreciation

Many members have contributed, and continue to contribute, to the accomplishments listed here, and to other improvements being made to ProZ.com. In particular, the following members have influenced activity in this second half of 2012 with their contributions, suggestions and feedback:

Vitali Stanisheuski, Pavel Blann, Maya Gorgoshidze, José Henrique Lamensdorf, Yumico Tanaka, Cryogenix, Prof. Angie G., Sheila Wilson, Claudia Brauer, Suzanne Deliscar, Konstantin Kisin, John Di Rico, Fabrice Michon, Raquel Lucas de Sousa, Ju Chaad, daphne consigliere, R.N., Ildiko Santana, Mats Wiman, Md Abu Alam, Lina SM, Radost_BG, Gilbert Lin, Pavla Dohnalova, Irene Koukia, Ashutosh Mitra, Gordana Petrovska, Reza Ebrahimi, Ioana Costache, Ksenija Trpkovic, Anna Smith, steph_cuevas, Oksana Zoria, Localization team leaders and their teams, Moderators in the class of 2012-2013, ProZ.com site guides, the members who are volunteering as ProZ.com mentors, the many members who spoke at both in-person and virtual events this year, and ProZ.com trainers.

On behalf of the ProZ.com site team, thank you to all ProZ.com members for investing in your business and for supporting ProZ.com through your membership.

Happy translating,

Jared
    Member services
    ProZ.com

If you are a translator or you work with translators, the ProZ.com mission statement explains how the site works for you: By providing tools and opportunities for you to network, expand your business, improve your work, and have more fun. If you have questions about membership, or need answers or help regarding anything else at ProZ.com, do not hesitate to contact staff through the online support system.

* Previous reports to members can be seen here: http://www.proz.com/forum/944Collapse

•  
    Recep Kurt
    Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
    Türkiye
    Local time: 04:44
    Member (2011)
    English to Turkish
    + ...
    Wow Nov 9, 2012

Never thought that there would be 600,000 registered users- that's an impressive number indeed!

Any data on the number of member translators whose credentials have been verified?

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Data on verified credentials Nov 9, 2012

Hello Recep,

Just under 6,000 language professionals have reported credentials and had them verified by site staff, and over half of them are ProZ.com paying members.

Which gives me the opportunity to remind anyone who has reported a credential that getting it verified is fairly quick and painless. Just scan the credential
    ... See more
    Hello Recep,

Just under 6,000 language professionals have reported credentials and had them verified by site staff, and over half of them are ProZ.com paying members.

Which gives me the opportunity to remind anyone who has reported a credential that getting it verified is fairly quick and painless. Just scan the credential and submit it to support staff at http://www.proz.com/support?mode=ask&type=verify_cred

Jared
    Collapse

Christophe Delaunay
    Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
    France
    Local time: 02:44
    Spanish to French
    + ...
    Credentials Nov 11, 2012

Jared wrote:

Hello Recep,

Which gives me the opportunity to remind anyone who has reported a credential that getting it verified is fairly quick and painless. Just scan the credential and submit it to support staff at http://www.proz.com/support?mode=ask&type=verify_cred

Jared

Hello Jared,

Do you mean that there are 6000 Pro people?
    And about the "over half of them", do you mean half of the 6000 or half of the 600.000?

Anyhow, I find the 1 to 100 proportion amazing. Especially when, as you perfectly remind it, you know how easy and quick it is to have your diplomas checked.

Then one question arises, are we dealing with procrastination or lack of credentials?

Regards,
    Christophe

jacana54 (X)
    jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
    Uruguay
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    Jared, I'm a bit confused with the figures Nov 12, 2012

In a previous post

http://www.proz.com/forum/reports_to_prozcom_members/224342-mid_year_report_to_members_2012.html

you said:

"Over 20,000 language professionals are currently investing in their businesses through ProZ.com membership, thereby helping to increase the tools and opportunities available a
    ... See more
    In a previous post

http://www.proz.com/forum/reports_to_prozcom_members/224342-mid_year_report_to_members_2012.html

you said:

"Over 20,000 language professionals are currently investing in their businesses through ProZ.com membership, thereby helping to increase the tools and opportunities available at ProZ.com, both for members and for non-members."

I would like to know please how many paying members Proz had in:

Thanks!

[Edited at 2012-11-12 11:16 GMT]
    Collapse

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    On credentials and verification Nov 12, 2012

Hi Christophe,

This should not be confused with members participating in the Certified PRO Network (CPN). There are currently 3,357 members in the network (this number is published on http://www.proz.com/cpn ).

Not everyone has a credential, of course, and a lot of very skilled translators may not necessarily have a translation-related credential to report, but my guess would be that the
    ... See more
    Hi Christophe,

This should not be confused with members participating in the Certified PRO Network (CPN). There are currently 3,357 members in the network (this number is published on http://www.proz.com/cpn ).

Not everyone has a credential, of course, and a lot of very skilled translators may not necessarily have a translation-related credential to report, but my guess would be that the relatively low number of those with verified credentials is not for a lack of reported credentials to verify; somewhere around 40,000 profiles have reported at least one credential. Procrastination may play a part, and many may not know they can have a credential verified, or know how. This would seem to indicate one opportunity for those who have had a credential verified to better differentiate themselves, though.

Jared
    Collapse

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    On membership Nov 12, 2012

Hola Lucía!

There are some references to membership numbers in previous reports, but I hope you'll understand that I cannot get into specifics when it comes to numbers like that (the number of paying members-- currently more than 20,000-- not to be confused with the number of registered users, just over 600,000).

Jared

jacana54 (X)
    jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
    Uruguay
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    I thought it would be easy :-( Nov 12, 2012

Sorry! I thought it would be easy for you to say how many paying users in each of those years, I imagined it would be something on the tip of your tongue. But of course, I don't want to put you out of your way. Thanks anyway.

Safiye TINGIR
    Safiye TINGIR  Identity Verified
    Türkiye
    Local time: 04:44
    English to Turkish
    + ...
    We believe proz.com membership is a must Nov 22, 2012

Hi all,

If you want to expand your translation business, you must be a paying member. We became a corporate member and had many customers from all over the world.

Thank you proz.com site team.

Marjon van den Bosch
    Marjon van den Bosch  Identity Verified
    United States
    Local time: 21:44
    Dutch to English
    + ...
    Dropping, dropping rates... Nov 23, 2012

I have been a paying member of PROZ for many years, but quite frankly stopped paying attention to PROZ emails a few years ago, including the PROZ Member-only job posts, because the rates offered are utterly ridiculous. PROZ has become an insult to professional T/I's, by allowing the posting of jobs with absurd low rates.

I am a US-based Dutch translator, already competing with my colleagues in Europe who are typically paid higher rates (although I suspect that my dear friends there
    ... See more
    I have been a paying member of PROZ for many years, but quite frankly stopped paying attention to PROZ emails a few years ago, including the PROZ Member-only job posts, because the rates offered are utterly ridiculous. PROZ has become an insult to professional T/I's, by allowing the posting of jobs with absurd low rates.

I am a US-based Dutch translator, already competing with my colleagues in Europe who are typically paid higher rates (although I suspect that my dear friends there will also have to drop down a euro cent or two in this crazy economy). I also like to remind many of my Dutch colleagues that they should not be surprised that some Dutch translators move to Asia, and are in a position to offer low rates. Why not? The cost of living is much lower, if you are young (read: without a mortgage and family), it is great international experience (nice for one's CV), and you can afford to travel widely + cheaply. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I did not have family and other obligations at my age.

When is PROZ REALLY going to stand up for living wages for T/I's? I, for one, have been sorely dispappointed by PROZ JOBS, which is just more of the same old low-balling. Sure, we all know by now, that rates are country/living cost dependent. FWIW, I can also tell you that those of us who are freelancers in the United States have zero medical coverage, disability insurance or anything else. We are on our own, which surely many of you would agree is a rather different situation in your country.

As president of my local ATA chapter here in Washington, DC, I recently had a couple of member inquiries about just how an independent T/I can get affordable health insurance. Well, depending on how each individual state chooses to participate in a law which does not go into effect until 2014, who knows? ATA is not in the business of providing group insurance.

Any thoughts on this subject are welcome, especially from my colleagues in the U.S.!

Regards,

Marjon
    Collapse

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thanks Safire! Nov 23, 2012

Thank you Safire for your kind words, and it's great to hear you are getting a return on your membership!

Jared

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    On rates and jobs Nov 23, 2012

Hello Marjon,

I think most of what is in your post may be the subject for another forum thread, but let me address the issues of rates and jobs.

ProZ.com will not set rates for language professionals (you will likely find a good number of members who will say they don't want someone else deciding for them, either). It is in both language professionals' and ProZ.com's interest that the rates being charged be consistent with the work provided, and the living professionals
    ... See more
    Hello Marjon,

I think most of what is in your post may be the subject for another forum thread, but let me address the issues of rates and jobs.

ProZ.com will not set rates for language professionals (you will likely find a good number of members who will say they don't want someone else deciding for them, either). It is in both language professionals' and ProZ.com's interest that the rates being charged be consistent with the work provided, and the living professionals want to have. But the ProZ.com team believes that control of rates is (and should be) in the hands of the language professionals. The ProZ.com team welcomes, encourages and seeks to facilitate communication and cooperation among translators and interpreters to that end.

The ProZ.com guiding principles gives a clear view of how this, and the entire site, works: http://www.proz.com/about/cornerstones/

On posted jobs, you will also find many members who pay little or no attention to them too (though, not to generalize, there are very attractive posted jobs that come through, they just tend to receive no publicity in the forums and elsewhere). These members will tell you that for the most part, clients approach them, not the other way around. Keys to this kind of client contact are membership, a strong profile, networking, and differentiating yourself. From your post and a bit of what I can see in your profile, I think your profile could be greatly improved. I have asked my colleague Lucía to contact you, as the resident expert on helping members get more out of the site.

Jared
    Collapse

Pauline Carru-Lieven
    Pauline Carru-Lieven
    Local time: 02:44
    English to French
    + ...
    Get more out of ProZ Dec 12, 2012

Hi Jared,

I would also greatly appreciate to know more about how to get more from ProZ.
    Would you please ask your colleague Lucia to contact me too?

Thank you very much,

Pauline

Djessika
    Djessika  Identity Verified
    English to French
    Get more out of ProZ Dec 14, 2012

Hi Jared,
    Can your colleague contact me too please

Michelle Kusuda
    Michelle Kusuda  Identity Verified
    United States
    Local time: 21:44
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    Proz membership still better than ATA membership return on investment Dec 15, 2012

Marjon van den Bosch wrote:

I am a US-based Dutch translator, already competing with my colleagues in Europe who are typically paid higher rates (although I suspect that my dear friends there will also have to drop down a euro cent or two in this crazy economy). I also like to remind many of my Dutch colleagues that they should not be surprised that some Dutch translators move to Asia, and are in a position to offer low rates. Why not? The cost of living is much lower, if you are young (read: without a mortgage and family), it is great international experience (nice for one's CV), and you can afford to travel widely + cheaply. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I did not have family and other obligations at my age.

When is PROZ REALLY going to stand up for living wages for T/I's? I, for one, have been sorely dispappointed by PROZ JOBS, which is just more of the same old low-balling. Sure, we all know by now, that rates are country/living cost dependent. FWIW, I can also tell you that those of us who are freelancers in the United States have zero medical coverage, disability insurance or anything else. We are on our own, which surely many of you would agree is a rather different situation in your country.

As president of my local ATA chapter here in Washington, DC, I recently had a couple of member inquiries about just how an independent T/I can get affordable health insurance. Well, depending on how each individual state chooses to participate in a law which does not go into effect until 2014, who knows? ATA is not in the business of providing group insurance.

Any thoughts on this subject are welcome, especially from my colleagues in the U.S.!

Regards,

Marjon

Marjon,

I have only been a paying member at Proz.com for a few months and have already seen a better return on investment than I ever saw while being an ATA and NAJIT member for several years many years ago. Can you please elaborate on what ATA is doing regarding living wages to T/Is in USA? ATA and NAJIT have been around for a long time, I was a member of both and got NOT a single job through them! That is why I prefer to spend the combined membership rate on direct marketing materials.
    The way I see it, the only way ATA and NAJIT would benefit us is by becoming a cooperative, taking translation jobs and distributing them equally among members while keeping a 5% commission from jobs for management expenses.

Regards,

Michelle Kusuda

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Year-end report to members, 2012

Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
    Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »