José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Something Proz CAN do Dec 15, 2012

Jared wrote:
ProZ.com will not set rates for language professionals (you will likely find a good number of members who will say they don't want someone else deciding for them, either). It is in both language professionals' and ProZ.com's interest that the rates being charged be consistent with the work provided, and the living professionals want to have. But the ProZ.com team believes that control of rates is (and should be) in the hands of the language professionals. The ProZ.com team welcomes, encourages and seeks to facilitate communication and cooperation among translators and interpreters to that end.

I see people here (mostly on the Kudoz section) who seem ready to kill for some additional browniz/kudoz/cookies, whatever. I don't question them, though I don't get it; I must be missing something. Anyway, I recently discovered that merely replying to a daily survey gives some of these, so they must be "cheap".

This could be a chance to improve the reliability of the Community Rates by offering some browniz/kudoz/cookies, whatever to every translator who updated their rates, say, every semester or every quarter, even if it were just to confirm that there was no change from the values posted there.

Michelle Kusuda
Michelle Kusuda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Were you talking about the kudoz mine field? Dec 16, 2012

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Jared wrote:
ProZ.com will not set rates for language professionals (you will likely find a good number of members who will say they don't want someone else deciding for them, either). It is in both language professionals' and ProZ.com's interest that the rates being charged be consistent with the work provided, and the living professionals want to have. But the ProZ.com team believes that control of rates is (and should be) in the hands of the language professionals. The ProZ.com team welcomes, encourages and seeks to facilitate communication and cooperation among translators and interpreters to that end.

I see people here (mostly on the Kudoz section) who seem ready to kill for some additional browniz/kudoz/cookies, whatever. I don't question them, though I don't get it; I must be missing something. Anyway, I recently discovered that merely replying to a daily survey gives some of these, so they must be "cheap".

This could be a chance to improve the reliability of the Community Rates by offering some browniz/kudoz/cookies, whatever to every translator who updated their rates, say, every semester or every quarter, even if it were just to confirm that there was no change from the values posted there.

Hahaha, I am glad someone else felt kudoz is like a mine field. I naively thought it was posted by someone in a hurry to finish a translation and needed help with the term. Then it turns out it is like a competition!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Year-end report to members, 2012

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »