Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Rating and voting now open for most pairs in the 2014 annual translation contest
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 16:36
SITE STAFF
Aug 4, 2014

Hello all,

The next phase of the annual translation contest, called the "Hybrid phase", is now open. It will run until September 1st. During the Hybrid phase, individual language pairs can be placed in any of the Submission, Qualification, or Finals phases, depending on how many entries have been submitted. Most language pairs are open rating (Qualification phase) or voting (Finals). Some language pairs are still open for submissions, and some pairs have been "paused" while efforts are made to bring pairs in the submission stage up to at least three entries.

http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/43

Once again, thanks to everyone who has participated so far, and good luck in the contest!

Jared

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:36
Portuguese to English
remarks Aug 5, 2014

I am not quite sure how this works. Can we see the comments that have been made on our translations? or on all entries? are these comments anonymous or can the translator see who has made the comment? Thank you

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Tags and Comments are different things. Aug 5, 2014

Georgia Morgan wrote:

I am not quite sure how this works. Can we see the comments that have been made on our translations? or on all entries? are these comments anonymous or can the translator see who has made the comment? Thank you

They are not comments. They are tags (likes and dislikes notes). And they all are visible.
They are anonymous during the contest. Ater the contest who made those comments will be visible too.
Comments about entries are different and they can be made after the contest (about the winner and other entries)

The system was as I described above (if they did not change anything)

Regards,

M. Ali

[Edited at 2014-08-05 14:53 GMT]

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:36
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
The strange thing is... Aug 5, 2014

... that other participants can rate your entry, too.

This cannot be what I would consider a fair contest and I have decided not to participate under such circumstances, be it by submitting a translation or rating/voting others'.

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
? Aug 5, 2014

Christel Zipfel wrote:

This cannot be what I would consider a fair contest and I have decided not to participate under such circumstances, be it by submitting a translation or rating/voting others'.

Hi, Christel! But it have always been this way.

Can you offer a better voting methodology?

Who in your opinion should rate the entries then?

Some specially trained judges?

[Zmieniono 2014-08-05 12:32 GMT]

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
They could as well be rated by non-participants Aug 5, 2014

Alexander Onishko wrote:

Hi, Christel! But it have always been this way.

Can you offer a better voting methodology?

Who in your opinion should rate the entries then?

Some specially trained judges?

Only a very tiny minority submits their own translation. There would always be still enough members that are not involved.

Lee Junho
Lee Junho  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 04:36
Member (2013)
English to Korean
+ ...
Unnecessary flaw Aug 5, 2014

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Ms. Christel's complaint is valid.

As a contestant, I wish I could win and my translation was the best among the entries.
And if I were to be allowed to vote mine, I would probably choose mine as the best.

I'm not allowed to do so. But I can rate and vote others' entries and, oh! how wicked I am,
it occurs to me I should give bad ratings to all the other contestants' entries,
or rather, especially to good ones to help to eliminate more powerful contestants,
and I worry if other contestants might do so even if I don't do so.

Just relying on individuals' consciences with the opportunity of committing wrong open,
however little it may be, when closing it is possible
is unnecessarily testing them, possible results of which you cannot control.

[Edited at 2014-08-05 14:31 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Another flaw Aug 5, 2014

rollingup wrote:
As a contestant, I wish I could win and my translation was the best among the entries.

It doesn't need to be the best one in order to win - if enough people find your entry not as good as other ones, but still good enough to be 2nd or 3rd place, you can still win the competition

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Can anyone tell me... Aug 5, 2014

Do the negative comments cancel out the positive comments? For example, if someone gets two positives and 5 negatives, does that mean their entry has minus three? Or are they still in a better position than someone who has no comments at all?

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
Agreed Aug 5, 2014

rollingup wrote:

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Ms. Christel's complaint is valid.

And if I were to be allowed to vote mine, I would probably choose mine as the best.

I'm not allowed to do so. But I can rate and vote others' entries and, oh! how wicked I am,
it occurs to me I should give bad ratings to all the other contestants' entries,
or rather, especially to good ones to help to eliminate more powerful contestants,
and I worry if other contestants might do so even if I don't do so.

Just relying on individuals' consciences with the opportunity of committing wrong open,
however little it may be, when closing it is possible
is unnecessarily testing them, possible results of which you cannot control.

[Edited at 2014-08-05 14:31 GMT]

It should be judged impartially, by people who have not participated in the contest.

[Edited at 2014-08-05 15:42 GMT]

Alexander Onishko
Russian to English
+ ...
*** Aug 5, 2014

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Do the negative comments cancel out the positive comments? For example, if someone gets two positives and 5 negatives, does that mean their entry has minus three? Or are they still in a better position than someone who has no comments at all?

1. For example, if someone gets two positives and 5 negatives, does that mean their entry has minus three?

No. It's 2 and 5 - separately

2. Or are they still in a better position than someone who has no comments at all?

Theoretically yes. But comments do not have any direct effect on the result. Only the "ratings" do. Comments either positive or negative are only intended to help the voters to make their decision.

Alexander Onishko
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, but... Aug 5, 2014

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

It should be judged impartially, by people who have not participated in the contest.

Yes, but how would you motivate those others to vote?

The practice shows that those interested do participate and do vote and the others, for the most part, neither participate nor vote.

Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
The ethics of the contest depend on us voters! Aug 5, 2014

Christel Zipfel objections are extremely valid in a time where the ethic values are all chucked into the garbage bin.
But we forget how much the honesty of the contest depends on us. Everybody wants to win but nobody can rate his/her own translation. So let´s be just and vote according to dessert. This is not a Big Brother contest where you eliminate your rivals. The idea is to promote good translations. So, if the good people win, everybody wins for everybody is at least sure of getting
... See more
Christel Zipfel objections are extremely valid in a time where the ethic values are all chucked into the garbage bin.
But we forget how much the honesty of the contest depends on us. Everybody wants to win but nobody can rate his/her own translation. So let´s be just and vote according to dessert. This is not a Big Brother contest where you eliminate your rivals. The idea is to promote good translations. So, if the good people win, everybody wins for everybody is at least sure of getting fair treatment.
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
/ Aug 5, 2014

Alexander Onishko wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Yes, but how would you motivate those others to vote?

The practice shows that those interested do participate and do vote and the others, for the most part, neither participate nor vote.

Ah, it's worse than I imagined, then - you're saying that the contest is judged solely by the people who have submitted an entry!

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
/ Aug 5, 2014

Alexander Onishko wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

1. For example, if someone gets two positives and 5 negatives, does that mean their entry has minus three?

No. It's 2 and 5 - separately

2. Or are they still in a better position than someone who has no comments at all?

Theoretically yes. But comments do not have any direct effect on the result. Only the "ratings" do. Comments either positive or negative are only intended to help the voters to make their decision.

Thank you for your reply.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rating and voting now open for most pairs in the 2014 annual translation contest

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »