My IP is constantly being blocked
Thread poster: Pratik Bhattacharya
Pratik Bhattacharya
Pratik Bhattacharya
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:07
German to English
Sep 14, 2020

Over the last few days Proz.com has been blocking my IP every time I try to access it. It shows this message:

"Your IP address has been temporarily blocked because a large number of requests have come from your IP address in a short amount of time.
Please try again in 2 hours.
If you need technical assistance, please contact our support team via email at [email protected] or call +54-221-4251266".

I had don
... See more
Over the last few days Proz.com has been blocking my IP every time I try to access it. It shows this message:

"Your IP address has been temporarily blocked because a large number of requests have come from your IP address in a short amount of time.
Please try again in 2 hours.
If you need technical assistance, please contact our support team via email at [email protected] or call +54-221-4251266".

I had done nothing wrong whatsoever - don't know what "large number of requests" this message is referring to.

I have to switch on my VPN to access the site (effectively fooling the system that's generating this error)! And at that point it presents me with the Greek version of the site!!

What is going on??? I have sent a mail to support. Nobody else having this problem?
Collapse

Davide Fezzardi
Davide Fezzardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:07
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
possible malware/virus? Sep 14, 2020

Hello Pratik,
so far I have not experienced the problem you describe. Maybe your problem is due to a malware/virus in your computer leading your device to constantly send data packages to Proz webpage(s)? I see a similar situation happens to me in Google when I have to perform several complex (I mean with regular expressions) searches: Google directs me to a series of image recognition webpages in order to make sure my searches are not requested by a web robot.
If possible, you could
... See more
Hello Pratik,
so far I have not experienced the problem you describe. Maybe your problem is due to a malware/virus in your computer leading your device to constantly send data packages to Proz webpage(s)? I see a similar situation happens to me in Google when I have to perform several complex (I mean with regular expressions) searches: Google directs me to a series of image recognition webpages in order to make sure my searches are not requested by a web robot.
If possible, you could try to search your computer for malware and viruses with more than one antivirus/antimalware tool. This is just an idea.

Have a nice day ahead
Davide
Collapse

Eugenio Garcia-Salmones
Eugenio Garcia-Salmones  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:07
Member (2015)
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
tracking Sep 14, 2020

Since 15 days I had to deactivate the Privace badger (a plug that blocks the tracking - in proz there are 12 tracking bots), without it it doesn't let me in. However, since I access from a VPN, now I have to prove that I am not a bot.

Pratik Bhattacharya
Pratik Bhattacharya
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:07
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Google Sep 14, 2020

Well, the two hours passed, and the site let me in (without having to use VPN) - although it still presented to me the Greek version of the site. So this, and the fact that I had managed to log on using VPN prove that there is no malware on my computer sending many messages to the site. If there was, I'd be having the same problem with VPN as well, and I wouldn't be able to log on now.

Thinking back, I believe that on each occasion when I got blocked, I had tried to access the site
... See more
Well, the two hours passed, and the site let me in (without having to use VPN) - although it still presented to me the Greek version of the site. So this, and the fact that I had managed to log on using VPN prove that there is no malware on my computer sending many messages to the site. If there was, I'd be having the same problem with VPN as well, and I wouldn't be able to log on now.

Thinking back, I believe that on each occasion when I got blocked, I had tried to access the site from a Google link, after a search. Maybe something is going on with those links...

[Edited at 2020-09-14 10:20 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My IP is constantly being blocked

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »