Thread poster: Jan Truper
Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:54
Member (2016)
English to German
Nov 5, 2020

Every time I open Proz.com, I am practically blinded by an abundance of bright colors (mainly off-white and yellow). It hurts my eyes to stay on the page for sustained periods of time.

Please offer a dark mode design, such as gentle green letters on a dark background.

Tom in London
Axel Dittmer

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
In the mean time... Nov 5, 2020

Jan Truper wrote:
Please offer a dark mode design, such as gentle green letters on a dark background.

In the mean time, you can use a browser extension for that. What browser do you use?

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
... Nov 5, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Jan Truper wrote:

In the mean time, you can use a browser extension for that. What browser do you use?

Chrome on a Mac.

I already use 2 such extentions (Dark Reader and High Contrast), but they do not produce satisfactory results with Proz' yellow background.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:54
Member (2008)
Italian to English
redesign the whole GUI Nov 5, 2020

Jan Truper wrote:

Every time I open Proz.com, I am practically blinded by an abundance of bright colors (mainly off-white and yellow). It hurts my eyes to stay on the page for sustained periods of time.

A long time ago I suggested that the whole GUI needed to be redesigned, and I even included links to useful information about the use of colour. There was no response. The existing white/cream/teal/Pompeii Red/pale blue colour palette not only hurts the eyes; it's UGLY.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A golden mean Nov 5, 2020

Jan Truper wrote:

I have to agree with you that those light colours used at Proz.com website are not the best ones, but I have a problem with dark or black backgrounds, they hurt my eyes.
I can't stand white text on dark backgrounds. I don't know if it's only me.
We would need to find a golden mean.

Thomas T. Frost
Zibow Retailleau
Tina Vonhof (X)
Philip Lees
Marina Taffetani
Christine Andersen
Morano El-Kholy

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Colours Nov 5, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

I have a problem with dark or black backgrounds, they hurt my eyes.

Dark backgrounds give me a headache too, but of course it could still be an option. Something else I can't read is light-grey fonts or fonts on an overly coloured background. On websites that use light-grey fonts I need to enable my high-contrast Chrome extension.

expressisverbis wrote:

Well, the average between black and white is medium grey, so how about medium-grey backgrounds with medium-grey fonts?

I don't mind the current GUI, but as long as it isn't changed to something that looks like a mobile phone with incomprehensible icons everywhere and dumbed-down navigation – an annoying trend – just look at the train wreck (if Tom will excuse this Americanism) of a GUI Facebook is now ramming down our throats – I don't mind changes.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I see eye to eye with you on those colours Nov 5, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Well, the average between black and white is medium grey, so how about medium-grey backgrounds with medium-grey fonts?

I don't mind the current GUI, but as long as it isn't changed to something that looks like a mobile phone with incomprehensible icons everywhere and dumbed-down navigation – an annoying trend – just look at the train wreck (if Tom will excuse this Americanism) of a GUI Facebook is now ramming down our throats – I don't mind changes.

It seems to me a very good option!

Thomas T. Frost

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 07:54
Dutch to English
+ ...
Seeing green Nov 5, 2020

I now use a light-green background with regular black letters in my personal documents. It's an oasis for my eyes. I also chose a different default font that I find easier to read than Arial: Daytona. I wish I could do the same in my emails.

expressisverbis

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Font Nov 5, 2020

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I now use a light-green background with regular black letters in my personal documents. It's an oasis for my eyes. I also chose a different default font that I find easier to read than Arial: Daytona. I wish I could do the same in my emails.

Daytona is quite similar to Verdana, which I use a lot. It is designed for computer screens. Good old Times New Roman is also easy to read.

In Outlook you can change the default font and background.

My screen brightness is set to just 4, as too much brightness would give me a headache.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Brightness Nov 5, 2020

Thomas, I think we share the same "disease". Even the sun can hurt my eyes and sometimes I cry.
I like a light blue background and grey/black fonts. That's the layout I use.

Thomas T. Frost

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Dark background Nov 6, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

I have to agree with you that those light colours used at Proz.com website are not the best ones, but I have a problem with dark or black backgrounds, they hurt my eyes.

I thought I was the only one! Most people I know have a strong preference for dark mode. I can't even read a single sentence on dark/black backgrounds, my eyes start aching immediately, and it takes a few minutes to re-adjust afterwards. Still, since dark mode is highly favored by many people, I believe offering such an option would be a good idea.

expressisverbis

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
On the contrary Nov 6, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Jan Truper wrote:

A long time ago I suggested that the whole GUI needed to be redesigned, and I even included links to useful information about the use of colour. There was no response. The existing white/cream/teal/Pompeii Red/pale blue colour palette not only hurts the eyes; it's UGLY.

I quite like the current colour scheme. The only change I would make is to replace bright white (255, 255,25) with some pale yellow (like the colour of parchment) or light green and the very bright grey (248, 247, 241) with far more darker grey.

The thing absolutely NOT TO DO is to mess with the contrast between the text and the background - I've seen to many sites made more or less unusable / useless / ruined because some moron (there is no other word) used some colour scheme supposed to be "modern" (/ "fashionable" / "fancy" / "cool" whatever ... ) or put a useless "background picture" that made the text practically unreadable.

You need to keep enough contrast between the text and the background, but pure white is too bright either for the text or the background.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feature request: Dark Mode

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »