Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:58
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 17, 2019

Hello

I understand (or surmise) that it is not currently possible to implement the ability for people to delete their own posts. Only moderators and staff can delete posts. However, I feel that users must have an easy way to delete their posts, and be visually reminded of that ability.

So here's my suggestion: add a button "Delete post" next to the "Edit post" button which, if clicked, launches the "call to topic" dialog with "Please delete my post" and the post URL a
... See more
Hello

I understand (or surmise) that it is not currently possible to implement the ability for people to delete their own posts. Only moderators and staff can delete posts. However, I feel that users must have an easy way to delete their posts, and be visually reminded of that ability.

So here's my suggestion: add a button "Delete post" next to the "Edit post" button which, if clicked, launches the "call to topic" dialog with "Please delete my post" and the post URL automatically filled in.

In other words, clicking the "Delete post" button does not actually delete the post but sends a request to the moderators to delete the post.

Of course, I realise that anyone can currently use the "call to topic" dialog to request that their post is deleted, but that method is not often used (perhaps users don't realise that that is the way to do it), and instead, posts get blanked when users want to delete them, which leaves an ugly record in the thread. So adding a button would be a useful reminder that it is possible (and simple) to get your own post deleted, and it would simplify the process of doing so.

Samuel

[Edited at 2019-05-17 11:55 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Paulinho Fonseca
Christel Zipfel
Tina Vonhof (X)
Philip Lees
Christine Andersen
Magnus Rubensson

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:58
Danish to English
+ ...
Direct delete function May 17, 2019

Why shouldn't there be a direct delete function that just deletes a post, just as on all other social media? It's a waste of everybody's time and overly bureaucratic that the user first has to ask a moderator or support to do something like this.

It may in some cases leave logical holes in a debate, but in these GDPR times, an identified individual has the right to delete whatever they said in public.

This leads to another issue: when a user quotes someone else with the
... See more
Why shouldn't there be a direct delete function that just deletes a post, just as on all other social media? It's a waste of everybody's time and overly bureaucratic that the user first has to ask a moderator or support to do something like this.

It may in some cases leave logical holes in a debate, but in these GDPR times, an identified individual has the right to delete whatever they said in public.

This leads to another issue: when a user quotes someone else with their name. There would need to be a way to either delete the quoted part or anonymise it. This would be a bit of a challenge to accomplish without manual intervention.

[Edited at 2019-05-17 14:54 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:58
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Thomas May 17, 2019

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
Why shouldn't there be a direct delete function that just deletes a post... ?

There should be (I'm not saying that there shouldn't be).

But it is my understanding that the design of the forum software does not permit non-moderators to delete posts, and therefore the type of delete function that you're requesting will only be implemented when we get upgraded to an entirely new forum design (which will be... erm... let's see... I estimate... in a decade or so).

I'm just trying to find a way to get a delete button this year (2019).

[Edited at 2019-05-17 12:36 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Add button to delete own post

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »