Thread poster: Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 03:20
Chinese to English
+ ...
Nov 10, 2018

What the title said, and I hope I need not explain why such a feature is important.

Also, while we're on it...why not give the viewer the option to switch between different languages on the bio? I have an English bio and a Chinese one, but if someone views the site in Chinese, they should have the option to quickly view my English bio as well, without having to change their browsing language. It could be shown in tabs - the default is your browsing language, but you can quickly swit
... See more
What the title said, and I hope I need not explain why such a feature is important.

Also, while we're on it...why not give the viewer the option to switch between different languages on the bio? I have an English bio and a Chinese one, but if someone views the site in Chinese, they should have the option to quickly view my English bio as well, without having to change their browsing language. It could be shown in tabs - the default is your browsing language, but you can quickly switch to another language by clicking the corresponding tab, without having to leave the profile page.

[Edited at 2018-11-10 14:44 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lincoln, re item 2 Jan 10, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:
I have an English bio and a Chinese one, but if someone views the site in Chinese, they should have the option to quickly view my English bio as well, without having to change their browsing language.

According to this page, a user should be able to visit a version of your site with the *content* localised by visiting a URL with a language-specific setting built into the URL, but I don't know how that works. However, if you can localise your content and if you can figure out what the localised content's URL is, you can add a button that links to that URL at the very top of your "About" section, e.g. "点击这里查看口中的烫手山芋" (sorry, Google Translate'd just for illustration). AFAIK this does not localise the entire page, nor does it localise the usual bio information -- only things like the tagline and your "about me" section's content.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lincoln, re item 1 Jan 10, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:
Profile editor needs a preview button. I hope I need not explain why such a feature is important.

It may have been better to explain anyway. It took me a bit of thinking to figure out some possible reasons for such a request. I suppose the big issue is that if you're experimenting with the HTML, and you have very frequent visitors to your profile, you want to avoid visitors arriving at the profile at the exact moment that you are busy experimenting with it (since your experimentation goes "live" immediately).

I have my doubts about the usefulness of such a feature, if we take the forum preview feature as an example. Some HTML features do not show up in the preview as they would show up in the final version, which makes the forum preview feature almost useless in my opinion. The whole point of the forum preview is to see what your post is going to look like, but the way it looks in the preview is different (sometimes slightly, sometimes a lot) from what it actually looks like live. I suppose some people with non-saving browsers use the preview feature to occasionally "save" their drafts in case of a browser crash.

The appropriate way to edit your profile page (as you may have discovered) is to write it in MS Word, then manually convert it to HTML as a separate document, and only once you're satisfied with it, paste it into the profile editor page. However, since the profile page's HTML editor is iffy, it make take a bit of tweaking to get the expected result anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Profile editor needs a preview button

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »