Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Could the moderation of non-paying members please cease?
Thread poster: S_G_C
S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 18:06
English to Romanian
Aug 22, 2018

Dear Proz,

I have registered with you a long time ago, at the suggestion of one of my college mates. I have used you to search for jobs, contact agencies for potential jobs, search for terms in the kudoz section, interact with fellow translators from around the world, ask for and give advice and certainly more.

But I have never contracted a membership with you.

Because of that, all of my posts - whether I start a new topic or reply in an existent one - are
... See more
Dear Proz,

I have registered with you a long time ago, at the suggestion of one of my college mates. I have used you to search for jobs, contact agencies for potential jobs, search for terms in the kudoz section, interact with fellow translators from around the world, ask for and give advice and certainly more.

But I have never contracted a membership with you.

Because of that, all of my posts - whether I start a new topic or reply in an existent one - are under constant moderation. This is so frustrating! I often have this itch in my fingers - like I need to reply now!!! And I compose my reply and I read it several times to see whether it sounds right, perhaps I even edit it - and then I submit it... And then I wait. And I wait. And I wait some more. There are times when my answer gets published after 24 hours!!! Until then, the discussion is way beyond the point where I intended to answer, so my reply really makes no sense anymore. Nobody returns to the previous page or pages to see whether more replies were added meanwhile. So me replying becomes irrelevant.

I have not complained over this so far. I have always thought, well, this is Proz.com's rule, you have entered the abode of an elite marketplace, so you accept their rules and play by them. But the feeling I keep getting for some time now is that I do not matter as a discussion participant. I feel my freedom of speech is being restrained and I do not understand why. Like I am being pushed aside or something. I understand that I cannot quote on jobs unless I add money to my wallet first, but couldn't there be another system of keeping the non-members under surveillance, so to say? Like allow their messages to appear in real time in the forums, but add a Report button if a message infringes Proz.com's rules? Or add a message limit, like moderate the first 50 or 100 messages of a non-member, but once this limit is surpassed, allow the following messages to be posted in real time? Or something else?

I have just run a search on Proz.com using the words "moderation of posts". No results found.
Collapse

Arabic & More

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:06
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
As far as I know Aug 22, 2018

If your identity is verified, even if you are not a paying member, your posts do not need to be vetted, it seems you are not verified, I suggest you to partecipate at a Powoww in order to be.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Hedwig Spitzer (X)

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:06
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Yes, verification of identity needed Aug 22, 2018

Angie Garbarino wrote:
If your identity is verified, even if you are not a paying member, your posts do not need to be vetted, it seems you are not verified

Here's the link to the FAQ about this: https://www.proz.com/faq/761#761

Angie Garbarino
Hedwig Spitzer (X)

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
exclusive misconceive Aug 22, 2018

Sorana, you got hold of the wrong end of the stick: you're so much especial and privileged that each moderator and administrator carefully and rapturously rereads your posts aloud, prints them out on silk, writes the date, and hooks another masterpiece silver-framed!

Just enjoy your time)

[Edited at 2018-08-22 17:13 GMT]

Jorge Payan

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 11:06
Russian to English
+ ...
We non-payers are a suspicious bunch Aug 22, 2018

Not only do we not get with the program like everyone else, but we cheat, steal and mooch off of this valuable resource. Shucks, we may even be too smart, competent and opinionated for our own good. No wonder they don't trust us.

Christopher Schröder
Daryo

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 09:06
Dutch to English
+ ...
May be impossible Aug 22, 2018

Angie Garbarino wrote:

If your identity is verified, even if you are not a paying member, your posts do not need to be vetted, it seems you are not verified, I suggest you to partecipate at a Powoww in order to be.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Good suggestion but are there any powwows in Romania and how far away is Sorana from places where they are usually held? Here in Canada, powwows are always in larger cities in the east, such as Toronto or Montreal, an impossible expense for me to go to. There must be other ways because I am verified but not through attendance at any powwow.

[Edited at 2018-08-22 22:46 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Pay 5 USD (or buy membership) Aug 23, 2018

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Good suggestion but are there any powwows in Romania and how far away is Sorana from places where they are usually held? Here in Canada, powwows are always in larger cities in the east, such as Toronto or Montreal, an impossible expense for me to go to. There must be other ways because I am verified but not through attendance at any powwow.

"You can pay $5 USD using a credit card that matches the name in your profile" - https://www.proz.com/?sp=vid_application

At any rate, I still believe a "whitelisting" system would be more rational and fair - as long as moderators are rational and fair themselves, of course...

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Powwows in Romania Aug 23, 2018

I see there have been powwows in Romania in various cities/towns. I am far enough from any of those locations. Far enough meaning several hours of traveling. I do not own a car or drive, I depend on the railway/bus system.

"You met--in person--a ProZ.com member who has the authority to verify identities" - I do not know who this person is for Romania.

Will consider the one-time 5 USD payment, though.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
You have looked in a wrong place Aug 23, 2018

Sorana_M. wrote:
I have just run a search on Proz.com using the words "moderation of posts". No results found.

Here is the link to the site FAQ with the explanation:
https://www.proz.com/faq/3064#3064

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
12 hours Aug 23, 2018

Thanks.

Like I said in my initial post, the 12-hour timeframe provides the non-vetted members with enough time to add plenty of replies. Unless approved quickly enough (one hour?), a vetted member's answer will be redundant in the context.

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Agree with Sorana Aug 23, 2018

I agree that posts should become unmoderated after a certain number of posts.

This issue also affects paying members as they may not benefit from time-sensitive advice to technical problems and other issues they on which they may be seeking the input of others.

S_G_C

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:06
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Time is a difficult concept on this site Aug 23, 2018

This is a truly international website. Moderators may be halfway around the world from you. Hence if you write a post in the morning, the moderator may just be off to bed. Considering they aren't paid for the job, I don't think there's any way you could impose a limit on the response time. ProZ.com staff have provided several ways to get your identity verified. A Powwow attendance and paid membership are two good ways, but you can always fall back on the credit-card method.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
volunteers Aug 23, 2018

First, the ProZ is no chat and I really doubt an hour or a day really matters. However, it's sad that (mostly?) paying members from different countries (time-zones) in the ProZ biz work as volunteer moderators, with no real advantages, but sheer "patriotism".

Furthermore, instead of ambiguous improvements, the pre-vetting could be automated via a 'blacklisted' keywords/links searching, greatly relieving the moderation.

On
... See more
First, the ProZ is no chat and I really doubt an hour or a day really matters. However, it's sad that (mostly?) paying members from different countries (time-zones) in the ProZ biz work as volunteer moderators, with no real advantages, but sheer "patriotism".

Furthermore, instead of ambiguous improvements, the pre-vetting could be automated via a 'blacklisted' keywords/links searching, greatly relieving the moderation.

On the other hand, if it pays, then pressing services on impatient of formalities is also ok
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Set up a powwwow Aug 23, 2018

Sorana_M. wrote:

I see there have been powwows in Romania in various cities/towns. I am far enough from any of those locations. Far enough meaning several hours of traveling.

To my mind, you have a great opportunity here. Set up a powwow in conveniently near you, and others. It might be sparsely attended, but it would be a win-win for everyone.

Good luck!

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Chat too Aug 23, 2018

DZiW wrote:

First, the ProZ is no chat and I really doubt an hour or a day really matters.

It certainly matters. If it didn't matter, why would non-payers even bother to open topics or reply in existing topics? They might as well manage on their own or mind their business.

And I beg your pardon, we have here the Translator playground and Off-topic / Other areas. So the chat section does exist. Apart from the chatting I've seen in the professional areas.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could the moderation of non-paying members please cease?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »