Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Why are nearly all the topics about CATs and how can I turn them off?
Thread poster: Tom in London
José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:15
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Maybe the idea isn't clear yet Apr 25, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:
The link https://www.proz.com/dashboard/forum/?sp_forum_mode=homepage_forums allows you to select which forums will be displayed (but also, eventually tracked) on the proz.com homepage, which is: https://www.proz.com/

Correct! As I made my choices, I don't see any posts on any CAT tools I don't use there, nor posts in any language I don't understand.

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:
https://www.proz.com/forum does the same as https://www.proz.com/forum/categories/recent-recent.html

It shows all recent forum posts, with all categories included.

No. While I see a truckload of posts on CAT tools, I don't see any posts in Arabic, Farsi, Bulgarian, Tagalog, and countless other languages I don't understand.

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:
For now, ProZ offers a way to filter out the forum categories that you don't wish to see or track on your personalized homepage.

Correct! What I - and apparently Tom and other Prozians as well - would like is the ability to "squelch" posts on CAT tools from our recent forum posts pages, perhaps selecting the one or two such tools we use, exactly as it is done for specific language forums, so the software is already there, no new development required.

Let's say a Prozian has/uses Trados alone, or maybe both MemoQ and WordFast. Why should they be forced to skim through posts exclusive to DejaVu, CafeTran, OmegaT, and a bunch of others on the recents posts page? It doesn't make sense.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:15
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tom Apr 25, 2018

Tom in London wrote:
I'm talking about threads, not forums.

Yes, but the option mentioned does give you threads.

1. Visit this page:
https://www.proz.com/dashboard/forum/?sp_forum_mode=homepage_forums
and select from which forums you want to see threads (tick first column, "List on homepage").

2. Then visit this page:
https://www.proz.com/translator/617634?sp_mode=settings&sp_submode=general_settings
and use your mouse to move the forums to the top, in the section called "Home page content".

This will cause the 30 most recent threads in your chosen forums to appear at the top of the home page of ProZ.com.

Unfortunately:
1. There is no option to select all, and then deselect only a few -- you have to manually select all the forums you're interested in.
2. The home page list shows the time of the first post, and the author of the first post, but not the time of the most recent post, nor the name of the most recent poster.
3. The home page list also does not move the most recently replied thread to the top of the list. It does show the number of replies, however. This means that recent replies to an old thread would not cause that thread to appear on the list.
4. Reloading the home page does not refresh the number of replies as often as you'd like.

[Edited at 2018-04-25 14:56 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tom II Apr 25, 2018

Tom in London wrote:
How can I turn them off so that I only see topics on other subjects? I've tried everything but nothing works.

What browser do you use, Tom? Or: what browsers do you have available to use? There may be an RSS extension that might work for you, but first we have to know what browser you're using.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Exactly Apr 25, 2018

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:
For now, ProZ offers a way to filter out the forum categories that you don't wish to see or track on your personalized homepage.

Correct! What I - and apparently Tom and other Prozians as well - would like is the ability to "squelch" posts on CAT tools from our recent forum posts pages, perhaps selecting the one or two such tools we use, exactly as it is done for specific language forums, so the software is already there, no new development required.

+1/Like/Agree

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:15
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
@Tom in London Apr 25, 2018

You may be talking about topics, but your own screenshot shows that the forums you are set up to view include SDL Trados Support, Across support and CAT Tools technical help. Deselect these forums and you would still get some CAT tool topics but not such a high proportion of them.

[Edited at 2018-04-25 21:15 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
HOw? Apr 25, 2018

Jack Doughty wrote:

You may be talking about topics, but your own screenshot shows that the forums you are set up to view include SDL Trados Support, Across support and CAT Tools technical help. Delelect these forums and you would still get some CAT tool topics but not such a high proportion of them.

And how do I deselect those particular topics (or similar CAT-specific ones)? I cannot find any way to do that. None of them are selected on the page to which I was directed, i.e.

[Edited at 2018-04-25 16:08 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:15
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Just switch off SDL Trados support Apr 25, 2018

That's enough, there is hardly any other discussion about CAT or TEnT. I have the feeling we don't discuss so eagerly anymore as we did 15 years ago. Everyone's on FB etc. except me.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Agree Apr 25, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

+1/Like/Agree

I too would like to see such a feature implemented in the recent forum post pages (or threads).

Being able to filter out the content I don't want to see (for me, this would mostly come down to the majority of CATs, MT topics, money matters etc.), so that I can better focus on the subjects I find engaging would be much appreciated.

As an aside, I consider the current amount of focus such topics enjoy to be quite disturbing and disproportionate. But that's just me.

Jean

[Edited at 2018-04-25 21:19 GMT]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
How do you select required forums? Apr 25, 2018

I suggested to the asker that he should deselect certain forums, but now I find I can't deselect them either. Has this been changed? I'm sure I could do it easily enough in the past.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tom and @Jack Apr 25, 2018

Tom in London wrote:
None of them are selected on the page to which I was directed, i.e.

From what I can see, if none are selected, it is treated as if they are all selected. As soon as I select some, the list of topics on my home page reduces to just those selected.

Jack Doughty wrote:
I suggested to the asker that he should deselect certain forums, but now I find I can't deselect them either. Has this been changed?

As I stated in my previous post, one of the poor design features is that there is an option to deselect all, but not an option to select all (and then afterwards deselecting only a few). So the current solution is not to "deselect those you don't want to see" but to "select those that you do want to see".

[Edited at 2018-04-25 22:32 GMT]

mariealpilles
mariealpilles  Identity Verified
France
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
Threads about CATS Apr 25, 2018

I think that it shows that so many waste time with problems that they might as well start working without. It definitely comforts my opinion that CATS are not exactly there to simplify people's lives and help them. But I do not want to start the usual topic of how helpful they are, bla, bla, bla. There should not be any single topic about CATs and people who swear by them should not even meet any issues. After all, do we read anything day after day about computer difficulties, etc.? It may sound... See more
I think that it shows that so many waste time with problems that they might as well start working without. It definitely comforts my opinion that CATS are not exactly there to simplify people's lives and help them. But I do not want to start the usual topic of how helpful they are, bla, bla, bla. There should not be any single topic about CATs and people who swear by them should not even meet any issues. After all, do we read anything day after day about computer difficulties, etc.? It may sound old school, but I have used one very occasionally. Now I always refuse to do so and rely on the computer which I master like most people without being an IT whizz and when there is a job I do not waste time with things that do not work, support lines, etc....Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Impression Apr 26, 2018

mariealpilles wrote:

....my opinion that CATS are not exactly there to simplify people's lives and help them...

That's certainly the impression one gets. But like you, I would rather not have to read about all those problems. Threads about problems with CATs are swamping the discussion forums, to the detriment of discussions about any other aspect of translation. This must stop !

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Links in browser Apr 26, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

That's my question:

Why are nearly all the topics about CATs and how can I turn them off so that I only see topics on other subjects? I've tried everything but nothing works.

Dear Tom,

create and save the links in your browser and it is all you need, for example:

https://www.proz.com/forum/categories/translation_art_business-translation.html

https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources-12.html

or

https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice-21.html

etc.

Milan

Alison MacG
Alison MacG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Change the way you access the forums Apr 26, 2018

Hello Tom

I tried to post this yesterday afternoon, but it didn’t appear for some reason. Some of this will therefore repeat other comments already made.

Although it will mean changing the way you navigate the site a little, if you only ever access the forums via your duly customised homepage allowing up to 30 topics (that may or may not be enough for you), you will never again have to see any topics about CATs.

Never use Member activities > For
... See more
Hello Tom

I tried to post this yesterday afternoon, but it didn’t appear for some reason. Some of this will therefore repeat other comments already made.

Although it will mean changing the way you navigate the site a little, if you only ever access the forums via your duly customised homepage allowing up to 30 topics (that may or may not be enough for you), you will never again have to see any topics about CATs.

Never use Member activities > Forums to access the forums, never click on the Forums tab on the new version of the dashboard and never click on any other Forums tab or link on any other part of the site. (And of course never click on Recent Translation forum posts top right once you are viewing the forums on the homepage).

This is the solution (or workaround) that I have always used. It works and I never have to see any topics about CATs.

Alison
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Labrynthine Apr 26, 2018

Thanks Alison but that sounds like a rather labyrinthine way of solving what should be a simple problem, resolvable with a single click. If I get the time I'll give your suggestion some thought; but it isn't really a solution for the general Proz user.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why are nearly all the topics about CATs and how can I turn them off?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »